Goodies at work

Options
Does anyone else have trouble with goodies brought to the workplace? We always have candy and chips available, and now with the holidays clients constantly bring cookies/cake/treats. I am very disciplined at home because I don’t keep that food here. But when I’m at work and stressed and starving because I didn’t get a lunch I reach for the crappy food. I know I can just not eat it but it’s hard! Does anyone have good snacks/meals to eat when you’re busy?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yes. It’s my absolute #1 problem. I would like to have a rule that I only eat what I bring, but that quickly flies out the window for home made baked goods
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If it's more of a problem when you're hungry because you didn't get lunch... fix whatever made you miss lunch? Bring your own, eat at your desk, meal prep on weekends or find a convenience option that fits your calories. You're entitled to have time to eat during the day and not spend the afternoon starving! But if you end up having cookies and no lunch, hey you just had cookies for lunch! At least you got some food in you! Log it, adjust dinner kcal if necessary and plan better for tomorrow.

We also have plenty of treats and cakes floating around the office but when you have your own food options closer at hand it definitely makes sticking to the plan a bit easier. I keep rice cakes at my desk, sometimes a box of those NAKD snack bars and we have a fruit basket in work. Just bring something you like and account for it in your calories. I find single serving things easier to moderate when I'm stressed or bored than having a bag of something (like roasted pistachios, that was a habit I had to cut out very quickly).

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble with goodies brought to the workplace? We always have candy and chips available, and now with the holidays clients constantly bring cookies/cake/treats. I am very disciplined at home because I don’t keep that food here. But when I’m at work and stressed and starving because I didn’t get a lunch I reach for the crappy food. I know I can just not eat it but it’s hard! Does anyone have good snacks/meals to eat when you’re busy?

take the time to make your lunch and bring snacks that fit your calorie goals, then you don't need to snack at work.

or, fit a snack or 2 from work into your daily calories if that's what you want to do?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you are able to eat the stuff at work why wouldn't you also be able to eat healthy pre-measured lunch/snacks you brought from home. Fresh veggies, fruit, sandwiches (less messy toppings) are great to eat while working. Take charge of your environment, don't have a victim mentality.

Best of luck.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    If it's more of a problem when you're hungry because you didn't get lunch... fix whatever made you miss lunch? Bring your own, eat at your desk, meal prep on weekends or find a convenience option that fits your calories. You're entitled to have time to eat during the day and not spend the afternoon starving! But if you end up having cookies and no lunch, hey you just had cookies for lunch! At least you got some food in you! Log it, adjust dinner kcal if necessary and plan better for tomorrow.

We also have plenty of treats and cakes floating around the office but when you have your own food options closer at hand it definitely makes sticking to the plan a bit easier. I keep rice cakes at my desk, sometimes a box of those NAKD snack bars and we have a fruit basket in work. Just bring something you like and account for it in your calories. I find single serving things easier to moderate when I'm stressed or bored than having a bag of something (like roasted pistachios, that was a habit I had to cut out very quickly).

I like that there's a fruit basket. OP--why don't you start a trend in your office bringing fruit? You might be surprised that your co-workers will like it better. Nobody says anything, but maybe others are struggling too. Now fruit, or too much, can blow you off course, but it's a lot less than a dessert.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I solved the 'tempted by goodies in the office kitchen' problem when I started packing approx 1000 calories into a lunch bag and bringing it to work with me.

That lunch bag has a variety of foods, tastes ranging from savory to sweet, and a balanced assortment of macronutrients.

I 'meal prep' every other weekend so that packing the lunch bag is easy.

A sample bagful might contain:
    1 cup of 2% yogurt,
    4oz chicken breast
    1 cup beans
    1 cup baked sweet potato
    1 cup of brown rice
    2 dates stuffed with almond butter
    1 cup leaf spinach
    1 can of chicken rice soup (2 servings)
    1 cup or more of a raw cruncy vegetable - cauliflower, peppers, carrots,

The chicken, rice, beans and sweet potatoes get cooked ahead of time for quick portion/packing.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Reflecting on your problem OP I started remembering all the threads where people have goodies left over around the house and don't want to eat them. The advice is almost always--take it to work.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here and I LOVE the bagel if food. I've done that often. One other option is having protein bars. I love the Luna salted caramel ones. It gives me a sweet treat while helping tide me over until I can eat something more substantial and they are only 180 calories. I also make sure to take my time when eating it and really appreciate it.

Maybe along with having options, allow yourself one day a week that you budget for one serving of a sweet treat that is brought in. If you know that you love peppermint bark, or your one coworker makes amazing brownies, factor in that one treat that's totally worth it. That way you get to indulge without going overboard. I also love the fruit idea as well! Along with that, if you have a holiday treat that fits better into your calories, maybe bring that in. You get to indulge more easily while not keeping a potentially problematic food in your home.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that what you actually need to address is your lack of lunch and healthy foods at work. I sometimes have to work through lunch and sometimes I don't have time to pack one in the morning. So I found places that deliver healthy food (Panera Bread for one) and just deal with the delivery fee as my cost for not prepping ahead.

Otherwise I have a nice big lunch bag with a frozen block on the bottom that I fill with healthy foods: cooked chicken breast, thin sliced steak, cooked potatoes, steamed veggies, fresh fruit, carrot sticks, yogurt, string cheese, etc.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Discipline - watch portions when you take something. Always track, even when guessing on home made or even when it is small (like a mini tootsie roll). Consider the trade-off you are making and stick to it. If it isn't worth it, then don't have it. Discipline...
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your food for the day. It helps you know that if you eat that cookie, you are going over your calories.
    Bring lunch to work, pack it the night before if you are pressed for time. Same with some healthy snacks.
    Try bringing in some healthy options to share with everyone. It may help prompt a shift in your work culture.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I ignore them unless I'm really wanting something in particular. I bring my own "goodies" to work with me. I brown bag my breakfast, lunch, and snacks pretty much everyday.

In most cases, the "goodies" people bring in are commercially baked goods which don't hold much appeal to me. Homemade stuff sketches me out too because I've been in a lot of other people's houses and lets just say that many don't hold the same sanitary standards that I do.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    2 things-

1. I always have an emergency meal/snack around. Something like a can of vegetable soup (150 cals), a protein bar (200 cals) and a piece of beef jerky (100 cals). If needed, I can eat all that and have a decently balanced meal, but it's not tempting to eat just because it's there.
    2. When others bring stuff and leave it out, I tell myself, "that is their food, not mine, and I wouldn't eat someone else's food." And, if they are bringing it to schlep off to others, it probably wasn't that good to begin with. If it is something that is brought in specifically as a holiday treat and you really really really want it, have a bite and share it with another coworker.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with this, too, especially at this time of year. I like the suggestions listed, but sometimes even having plenty of my own food doesn't stop my brain from telling me that I HAVE to have that brownie/Christmas cookie, etc. A big part of the issue is mental for me, especially if I'm stressed or bored, and I have to do things like avoid the break room (hard to do since the microwaves/water, etc. are in there) and try and find something to take my mind off the food that is calling my name. I hate to cook, and mainly eat the same thing all week, so it's easy for me to be bored by what I bring and go for the easy quick fix. Not that any of this helps you, I'm just letting you know you're not the only one who struggles!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I ask myself whether the food is special. If it's a thing I can't get anytime I want it *and* it looks particularly appealing *and* I have the calories for it, then I'll eat it. But if it's ordinary candy, cookies from the local grocery store bakery, etc. then I know I can get those things anytime and I don't need to eat them just because they're in front of me right now.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I bring those dessert flavored Yoplait yogurts when everyone else is having cake or whatever for someone's birthday. It helps that my coworker who sits next to me is also "dieting" so we usually just leave the area together
  • kereseyshannon
    kereseyshannon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! I love the lunch bag idea of a bunch of things to choose from. That is a good point too that I can get those goodies anytime on my own and just because it’s in front of me doesn’t make it special. I appreciate the support!
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We always have snacks at work. I very recently stopped snacking on them. I just remind myself that I’m trying to lose weight and a donut will not help that.
  • alyssanavetta
    alyssanavetta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thinking of other peoples hands touching/ opening / grabbing grosses me out and helps me resist shared food at work and prelogging my calories helps me resist because I am lazy and don't want to re-log or mess up what I logged previously!