Drinking beer, weekends only.....good? Not good?

Options
Hi,

So i haven't been losing much weight, well, actually i haven't lost any weight in a long time. But i'm trying to figure out what the causes could be. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this:

First, I love beer, I was brought up in a family that LOVES to have a good time, then I worked in a Brewery in college....lets just say beer and I are best friends.

Well, about 6 months ago, I made a pact with my fiance that we would not drink anything during the week (mon. thru thurs.). And save our drinking for the weekend. Thinking that that was one of the main reasons that i wasn't losing anything, and i know it would be healthier not to drink so much. I've been doing good about this, only drinking on Fri., Sat. and sometimes Sun. I don't go too over board, usually my fiance and I buy a 30 pack (Bud Light) to share for the weekend, and usually there are some left over come Mon.

So, do you all think I need to cut back some more?? I know this sounds terrible, but I LIVE for Fri. nights when I can have a nice cold one, so I dont' think I can totally give up beer, but should I just stick to one night a weekend? (FYI, I just started working out on the weekends, on top of working out during the week, and even adding the extra exercise, I still haven't lost anything.)

Could drinking on the weekends be one of my problems of not losing weight????

Thanks for your time and replies!
Laura

Replies

• laurabelle25
    Options
    Hi,

So i haven't been losing much weight, well, actually i haven't lost any weight in a long time. But i'm trying to figure out what the causes could be. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this:

First, I love beer, I was brought up in a family that LOVES to have a good time, then I worked in a Brewery in college....lets just say beer and I are best friends.

Well, about 6 months ago, I made a pact with my fiance that we would not drink anything during the week (mon. thru thurs.). And save our drinking for the weekend. Thinking that that was one of the main reasons that i wasn't losing anything, and i know it would be healthier not to drink so much. I've been doing good about this, only drinking on Fri., Sat. and sometimes Sun. I don't go too over board, usually my fiance and I buy a 30 pack (Bud Light) to share for the weekend, and usually there are some left over come Mon.

So, do you all think I need to cut back some more?? I know this sounds terrible, but I LIVE for Fri. nights when I can have a nice cold one, so I dont' think I can totally give up beer, but should I just stick to one night a weekend? (FYI, I just started working out on the weekends, on top of working out during the week, and even adding the extra exercise, I still haven't lost anything.)

Laura
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Laura

I am not a beer drinker but it sounds like this may be the cause..what is the sodium content on beer? perhaps limit yourself to one beer per week...and see how it goes
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    a topic very close to my heart, and makes me very sad to think about it. Extra calories are extra calories, if they are putting you over, they aren't helping in your weight loss. I read somewhere that when you consume alcohol, your body utilizes these calories first, and I don't know about you, but it isn't hard for me to drink 8-10 on a friday night, so even light beer we are talking an easy 1000 calories over our food calories, therefore at least half of the 1500 calories I ate in food that day, might be saved in my thighs for later. I am no expert, and if I am wrong, you will soon find out :laugh:

I could be wrong, but I think all calories are realitive to weight loss, which as I said, makes me sad.:sad:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking the lite stuff? Even so, that sounds like a lot of beer. The only way to know is to cut it back again and see if the scale starts to slide down again. If it does, you'll have your culprit!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i myself am an avid bud light drinker :blushing: :laugh: :tongue:

i have seriously cut it out. i went out last friday for the first time in about a month. i stopped going to happy hours once a week. last friday, i had 9 beers = alomst 1000 calories. i think it did screw with my body but who knows.

for me, im so wanting this extra weight to come off, i go to the gym instead of HH. on the weekends, i just stay in (more of a social drinker than an at home drinker). it helps that i am always BROKE too.

not sure what you should do. i think by you posting this, you might already have the answer :ohwell:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. I thoroughly enjoy my weekend social events! However, in the last 2 months I've switched up my drinking a bit. Like, I replaced Bud Light with Mich Ultra or else I'll do a whole night of only diet Sprite w/ a flavored Vodka. And I actually keep track of how many I'm drinking now, which is a new concept for me. You said you bought Bud Light...switch to Ultra, really. Every little bit can help. Don't fall victim to beer munchies either. And if you do, take it in moderation rather than gorging. We tend to throw out all inhibitions when we're drunk - so try to keep control of what you're snacking on. Most of all, drink a TON of water :drinker: the days afterward, as well as that following week. I'm always 5+ lbs heavier that following Monday due to water retention (the sodium in BEER)! Come Thursday my weight is back to normal, but only with a TON of waters all week. Hope this helps. Good luck. I :heart: beer as well!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I just save my calories when I want to drink. If I'm planning a girls night or something I exercise and eat less durring the day to give me extra calories for drinks. Makes you a cheap drunk too...last time after 1 glass of wine i was tipsy and had to stop so I would be okay to drive home!!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • Condor39
    Options
    Laura,

While there are most likely a number of factors involved here, I can tell you that there have been two periods of time in my life when I have dropped significant pounds (25 or more) and in both cases, I stopped drinking beer completely. Depending on your goals, you may want to attempt to eliminate beer for a period of time until you reach a target weight and then reintroduce it, on a limited basis. Once you go back to it, I would try to stick to one night per weekend and alternate one beer with one equal portion of water. This should help fill you up and decrease the urge to drink more, hopefully.

Good Luck
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    I'm always 5+ lbs heavier that following Monday due to water retention (the sodium in BEER)! Come Thursday my weight is back to normal, but only with a TON of waters all week. Hope this helps. Good luck. I :heart: beer as well!

i am so glad you said that! its EXACTLY how i was this week - up 5lbs from Friday. UGH! today i was almost back to 'normal' but i have a feeling my ticker wont be changing this week. oh, and i have totally upped my water since the night out...

i have to go to a wine bar saturday night - :noway: going to try to follow the 'rules' every second this weekend and be good at the wine bar :huh:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Laura,

While there are most likely a number of factors involved here, I can tell you that there have been two periods of time in my life when I have dropped significant pounds (25 or more) and in both cases, I stopped drinking beer completely. Depending on your goals, you may want to attempt to eliminate beer for a period of time until you reach a target weight and then reintroduce it, on a limited basis. Once you go back to it, I would try to stick to one night per weekend and alternate one beer with one equal portion of water. This should help fill you up and decrease the urge to drink more, hopefully.

Good Luck

I almost cried. So so sad. :sad: :brokenheart:
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    Laura,

Good Luck

I almost cried. So so sad. :sad: :brokenheart:

I know.... I am crying!:sad:
  • WShope
    WShope Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too love beer! But there are 96 calories in Miller Lite. So I really have to limit myslef on the days that I plan to drink. Last weekend. We went out and I think I had 3-4 beers, but I cut way back on my calories for eating and I exercised so that I could have the extra calories for the beer on Saturday night. And yes drink lots of water the next few days afterwards. But you have to account for the calories in beer and the sodium content. It's all about calories intake and calorie burn anyway you look at it.

Good Luck and Happy drinking. :drinker:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    When you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages in a day (Estimated) your body releases an enzyme called acetate which triggers your body to store fat. DO this for consecutive days and the pattern continues. I had a doctor tell me this although my words are not exact quotes. When I told him I was going on vacation he metioned drinking every other day and in moderation if I was going to drink.

He wasnt condoning the drinking just teling me if I decided to how to avoid storing fat for consecutive days
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    K, first off that's a LOT of beer. Really easy to undo your entire week by having those 10-15 beers in one weekend, especially when you do it often. I'd say limit yourself to one or 2 if you can, and if you can't, then nix it altogether. I've all but given up alcohol since joining here. It's a whole lot of empty calories, truly. Saving up calories so you can enjoy a drink or 2 is fine once in awhile but to save up THAT many calories, you'd be servely resticting your diet, which is a big no no, especially since we all know alcohol is handled better by a full tummy. :flowerforyou: best of luck.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    When you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages in a day (Estimated) your body releases an enzyme called acetate which triggers your body to store fat. DO this for consecutive days and the pattern continues. I had a doctor tell me this although my words are not exact quotes. When I told him I was going on vacation he metioned drinking every other day and in moderation if I was going to drink.

He wasnt condoning the drinking just teling me if I decided to how to avoid storing fat for consecutive days

Very interesting.:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    ditto to kerri that is a LOT of beer. I save cals for alcohol too sometimes, but that is a LOT. I think it definitely will be hampering your goals.

maybe you two can share a six pack instead of a THIRTY pack.
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you can limit yourself on how many you drink - Miller 64 is not bad and will save you some calories. I'm actually a wine drinker which is really whacked on calories. I've had to limit myself to one on Saturday (for now).
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    K, first off that's a LOT of beer. Really easy to undo your entire week by having those 10-15 beers in one weekend, especially when you do it often. I'd say limit yourself to one or 2 if you can, and if you can't, then nix it altogether. I've all but given up alcohol since joining here. It's a whole lot of empty calories, truly. Saving up calories so you can enjoy a drink or 2 is fine once in awhile but to save up THAT many calories, you'd be servely resticting your diet, which is a big no no, especially since we all know alcohol is handled better by a full tummy. :flowerforyou: best of luck.

Aren't you just so good to be able to give up beer like that. I can't and don't want to. So I will watch what I eat and exercise hard to be able to.
    Pam
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Aren't you just so good to be able to give up beer like that. I can't and don't want to. So I will watch what I eat and exercise hard to be able to.
    Pam

Me too! I like some beer or a rum and coke or four:drinker: :laugh:
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice! I appreciate other people's input soooo very much. And I agree with ya'll, even thought my :brokenheart: I think i will try to cut back even more.