Is it really just calories in calories out?

Options
ladydark2018
ladydark2018 Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Yo-yo dieter here and I am overwhelmed with Information on various diets. I have gained 40 pounds on an antidepressant, and can’t get off them due to anxiety issues. So I’m trying to figure out a way of eating and stick to it. I always self sabotage and jump from one diet to another and I decided I finally need to find something and stick with it. I have done keto (don’t last for more than a few days) ... fasting.... ONe meal a day.... but does it really only boil down to calories in calories out? Any help I can get will be appreciated

Replies

• RandyInOklahaoma
    RandyInOklahaoma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just takes motivation and will power. I have yoyoed for the past few years. Gotta stay active. I just bought a Samsung watch to track my steps. I did not know how inactive I was when I am in my office. It is motivating me to be active right now.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    yes and no. yes it's basically CICO. and fad diets - just don't go there.

some tips - work out your maintenance calories then drop by not too much - don't go gung ho for losing 2 kgs a week or whatever while you're starving because it's too hard to adhere to anything that is too uncomfortable.

Feeling a bit peckish is one thing - you can trick yourself to stop feeling peckish by drinking some herbal tea or eating some diet jelly or something. You can't trick yourself to stop feeling like there is a massive hole in your stomach and you're about to eat the couch.

slow and stead is the way to go.

Now, the no part of my answer is that as well as CICO, other things can help such as more exercise, looking at hormones and if they are out of whack taking the right supplements/eating the right foods to help fix that.

Also - making choices that will help you feel full - if you can get a massive volume meal in but it's only like 300 calories, it feels like you've eaten heaps but it's not much. For example, I always have a gigantic salad in a fruit bowl. it's always around 300 grams. some sort of meat and a bunch of stuff like carrots and whatever else is around. it takes me ages to eat becuase there is so much volume and therefore I think I ate heaps. if i'd had a sandwich for example, at the same calories, i'd think I was hungry again in 2 seconds. But that's just me - so it's a strategy i've come up to help me.

And everyone is different so you need to find what works for you. Lots of small meals? 3 big meals? fasting until a certain time and then eating?

At the end of the day the calories in vs calories out is the main player in your weight loss and you can make it work for you without too much pain or starvation.

And don't just settle on the 1200 that MFP seems to spit out for everyone. try something like https://tdeecalculator.net/

Good luck with your journey!!

That's actually part of CICO. Exercise increases the CO part of the equation. Hormones may increase or decrease it.

As far as the 1200, MFP generally spits that out for 1) people who are very short and close to goal or 2) people saying they want to lose 2lbs/week when that's too aggressive a target. It has me on 1360 to lose 1/2lb/week (I'm 5'3 and within 10lbs of a healthy BMI). When I started, 107lbs ago, I told MFP I wanted to lose 1lb/week and it gave me 1710.

MFP also gave me a suggestion of 1700 calories initially but I upgraded to Premier so that I could reset it down to 1350 calories, which is where my doctor wants me to be.