How does a typical dinner for you now compare to typical dinners from your childhood?

Options
2»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    One thing I never had during my childhood was Mac 'N Cheese. I was like 20 when I first had some and I had to call my momma on a payphone in the rain to ask her where we went wrong. :pensive:

Omg me too. I never had any typically American fare growing up except spaghetti and pizza. We were the weird foreign family.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Differences:
    Childhood- meat most meals, usually potatoes, canned vegetables, not much variety, use of spices or ethnic foods, often overcooked on weeknights as food was kept warm or reheated, large portions, more fried food, less packaged meals like Hamburger Helper when younger but more as I got older, eating in kitchen, margarine, no dessert unless it was a holiday
    Now- split between meat and meatless dinners, less beef, potatoes not as often, frozen or fresh vegetables, lots more variety and seasonings, smaller amounts made, food not overcooked, more meal planning, eating in a dining room instead of kitchen, butter

Same:
    eating together as a family, home prepared meals most days, using (updated) family recipes, one person doing almost all of the cooking, plate up your own food, drinking water with meal, no one is forced to take or finish food
  • lililomo2
    lililomo2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    my mom was a good cook, garlic, onions and dill in everything *latvian heritage*. one of the reasons my dad married her,was that she and my grandmother knew how to season food well, whereas my dad's side *metis* ate a lot of bannock, cheap cuts of meat and bland potatoes,carrots and peas *which my grandfather grew in their backyard* my mom was a more adventurous sort as time went on and we ate more healthy than our neighbours. when my kids were small i went to a lot of effort to cook proper meals with lots of veg. they still make good food choices most of the time - we all have our moments though *do NOT look at my diary today lol*
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My mom always cooked homemade dinners and stuff and now I cook homemade dinners

Not much has changed minus the fact I’m alittle more cautious of serving size
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My mom was an amazing cook, she always made us breakfast, lunch and dinner from scratch it was wonderful... all my friends would always want to come over for our house for dinner every night lol. I often would help my mom cook dinner, and us kids always had to stick around and also help with dishes. She taught me family recipes that I still love to this day. My dad ended up recently having some major heart issues, and he was very overweight... this scared him into changing his diet completely and now he and my mom are vegan. Now my mom doesn't really make good food anymore. When I first moved out on my own I didn't cook much, hubby liked pizza and fast food so that is often what we ate... this year i've started making a menu and cooking everything from scratch like my mom used to, I try to keep portion sizes as I remember them in my childhood.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use a lot more fresh vegetables as opposed to frozen mixed veges which my parents used to bung in every meal. I also have a bit more variety/use "fancier" ingredients which is understandable considering my parents were cooking for kids who tend not to have a very sophisticated palate.