How in the heck do I survive Disney World

Options
OK, we are leaving for DW in a few weeks for a WHOLE WEEK, here is the problem:

1. I am on vacation, when I am on vacation I do what I want (well, before MFP)

2. There are so many gooooood and yummy things in the World to eat, how can I resist

3. We are on the dining plan (pre paid for food), I shutter to think of wasting my money by not eating

4. I want to stay within my calorie count, but HOW CAN I (see 1 through 3)

5. I don't want to spoil it for the rest of the family by pulling out my cell phone at every meal and obssessing over calories

6. Usually I take a break from my workout sessions on vacation, but I don't think that this will be possible......

Replies

• kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I feel you I went to Disney myself 2 weeks ago and didnt want to ruin the trip for others either with me being all picky with foods and I decided to just have a good time and worry about my weight when I got home, some would call it a bad desicion but I had a great trip, gained 10lbs and then had to work my butt off over the next 10 days and took that 10 right back off. I am sure this wouldnt work for everyone but I am happy to have had a great trip and still got that weight back off....happy vacation to you!!!!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am out of town for business and I changed my plan to "maintain" to allow me a lot of leeway on the food. Last month I went to Disneyland (not world, sorry) and they had some really good healthy options to eat. Soooo, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Enjoy your vacation, allow yourself to eat a bit over your "norm" and when you come back you will be refreshed and ready to kick it up a notch! :) Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Make healthy food choices as often as possible. Let yourself eat a treat every day. Think of all the walking you'll be doing. Even if you gain a couple of pounds, you'll drop them quickly when you get back. Enjoy your trip!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hello! I think in the face of adversity is when you have the greatest opportunity to shine. You say you "do what you want" while on vacation and "usually take a break from workout sessions" on vacation. But is being focused on health something you used to do either? I think this trip to Disney World is a great opportunity to show yourself how far you've come and to prove to yourself you can stay on track anywhere in the world. With that said, no need to obsess and get crazy with your phone at every meal - you know you shouldn't pick the fetucchini alfredo or the meat with cream sauce over it - just make wise decisions and log them all at night. You'll likely be walking alot during your trip too, so be sure to log that! If there's a gym in your hotel, perhaps you could wake up before your family and hit the gym to start your day.

In my opinion, you should enjoy your vacation but also not lose sight of the change you're trying to make with your health. If there's a delicious dessert at a restaurant you want to try, split it with your family and have a few bites, but don't have the entire thing yourself! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • AJCoombs
    AJCoombs Posts: 16
    Options
    Does your hotel have a fitness center? If so get down there and have a good workout first thing in the morning. It will kick start your day and might keep you on the right track the rest of the day. Eat smaller portions of the yummy DW food. I would probably try to maintain my weight during this week so I don't have extra weight to lose when I get back. Just have fun and try to make smart choices about what you eat. Make every calorie count. : )
  • lotus_eater
    lotus_eater Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You actually might be surprised with all the walking you will be doing that everything might balance itself out. Have a great time and make healthy (but don't deprive yourself) choices. Also consider for asking for half orders or sharing your meal, I did that last time and didn't feel like I was missing out.
  • suzibrew
    suzibrew Posts: 23
    Options
    I too went to Disney Land last year and was surprised by the healthy choices. When I was at Disney WORLD 7 years ago I felt like the choices were horrible. I am not sure if both parks improved in this area or if the California park is just more health conscious. One day at a time, one meal at a time, make healthy choices and walk all day! You will be fine!

have fun!
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You will be walking probably 6 hours a day even at a slow pace thats a lot! Watch your portions and what you eat, a little bit don't obssess over it, but just think about it. Change your goals to maintaining for the week so that will give you more calories. Drink lots of water!!! Last but not least have tons of fun!!!
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Does your hotel have a fitness center? If so get down there and have a good workout first thing in the morning. It will kick start your day and might keep you on the right track the rest of the day. Eat smaller portions of the yummy DW food. I would probably try to maintain my weight during this week so I don't have extra weight to lose when I get back. Just have fun and try to make smart choices about what you eat. Make every calorie count. : )

Yes! That too! and go swimming!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Eat in moderation and make as good of a choice as possible. And don't stress - it's your vacation.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What i would do is to change my goal to maintain and see how much calories are allowed.
    Id take 15 minutes at the end of the day to enter the calories for the .. if you are over well .. you'll do better the day after...
    You'll probably be walking a lot all day there, so you might cut your workout by the half of what you usually doing...
    Always take the smallest portion of everything, healthy when possible... so you can taste about a little of everything, buy medium portion but put it on the table for all the family to share ...

You'll probably wont loose weight there .. but i think you also can not be gaining weight ...

And have a very nice trip ! Enjoy ! ;)
  • carolineroo
    carolineroo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just did it in June. I had oatmeal for breakfast with the applesauce (nothing in that but apple and water, no sugar nothing.)mixed in it and then drank lots of water. When the family had ice cream I had a diet coke for the sweet taste. There are salads available for lunch in the parks or there are grilled chicken burgers. 180 cals for the bread and about the same for the chicken, fries are 360 ish for a portion. We walked such alot and went to the park at about 1pm and stayed til 1 am then spent the mornings in the pool. Even walking round with the kids in water is a bit of a work out.
    In a week I lost 2lb. I was determined not to undo my good work so far. Nothing would have tasted good enough to compensate for the disappointment of gaining lots.
    You can do it.
    You can do it
    You wont be ruining your familys vacation if they are supporting you.
    I normally work out 3 to 4 times a week for an hour and I did nothing whilst there
    GOOD LUCK
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You will find healthy choices there. Don't forget you will be walking a lot too and burning calories.
    I have always done well going to the parks there. I am sure you will too. Good luck and have fun!!!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Explain to your family ahead of time that you'll still be keeping track, but you'll still be eating with them, you just want to keep up the habit and not fall to far off. Preparing them in advance will go far. Keep thanking them for understanding throughout your trip, "Thanks again for understanding about me logging my food, it means alot to me". Eat the meals, but if it's unhealthy, by all means don't finish it. Bring a big supply of healthy snacks along: Nuts, dried fruit, granola bars, vitamins, etc. You can do it. I know that all that food is tasty, I used to overboard too, but remember that feeling after you've eaten ALLLLL of those tasty treats. Not a good feeling, that one of regret, digestive discomfort, and bloating.
  • dezedeze
    dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh I know that feeling!!! I sometimes get so nervous before vacations for all those reasons.

I think you should enjoy your vacation! There's no point in stressing the whole time, and as you said, you don't want to be obsessing over your phone every meal. Continuing your loss would be really hard, so maybe set your goal as "I'm not going to gain anything this week." By this I mean:

Maybe set your calories to "maintenance" for your Disney time only, and make absolutely sure to get some good exercise every day. Try to limit your alcohol (that is usually what plumps me right up), keep your portions reasonable, and try and seek out the healthy fruit/veggie options wherever possible. Skip dessert most nights or have a bite of someone else's (your family, not a random person haha). NO GIANT TURKEY LEGS :sick:

Don't beat yourself up if you can't be perfect during that time or if you gain a little, and when you get home make sure to get right back on track with your weight loss day 1...no delay (AKA "oh, since i've been off this for a week, i'll start tomorrow")!!!!

This way you can enjoy yourself while you're there, you won't kick yourself for "slip-ups" as we all know this is part of losing weight, and you'll jump right back into your stricter, weight-loss routine as soon as you get home.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just went to Disney last week! We ate in the parks for lunch and dinner so I feel your pain.. We walked around for literally 10-12 hours the 2 days we were there so I counted it as 8 hours of leisurely walking a day... and it was HOT so we sweated ALL DAY so you probably will too. I didn't feel like I needed to work out bc I was walking so much and sweating. Even when we were waiting on line, we were still walking/standing and moving around and sweating.

As for food, well.. they have SOME healthy choices. I think a lot of the places have fruits and stuff as options instead of fries on the side. In particular, I had a grilled chicken sandwich in Tomorrowland and I could have apple slices or fries.. .of course I chose apple slices! And I stuck with water ALL day. Just keep your portions in check and don't overdue it with the junk.

For dinner, we went to the smorgasboard in Germany (in Epcot).. I was SO worried but just made myself 1 plate with tiny portions of everything I wanted and I couldn't even finish my plate! I had a little dessert there but ate an apple and watermelon too to make up for it.

I always weigh in on Fridays but since last week I was there, I skipped it.. When I weighed in today, I lost a pound and a half! You should be fine and just maintain as long as you watch your portions, stay active (walking, swimming, etc) and just making healthy choices.

PS. They have frozen bananas in some of the parks - delicious, dipped in chocolate w nuts. 205 calories a pop! I was thrilled haha

HAVE FUN!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you tracking your calories will spoil anything for anyone else, so that one I don't know how to answer.

I'm rarely hungry at Disneyworld. I can go an entire day without eating at all and all that walking burns a lot of calories. The only thing I MUST HAVE while there is a cheese plate and chocolate mousse in "France." I've only once had food in any of the restaurants that was to-die-for good, and that was when a friend's parents took us to a VERY pricey restaurant near the Boardwalk area. Everything else, I could take or leave.

I guess you really need to decide if the food is really good to you because it IS good or because you think it's supposed to be.

The breakfast buffets always have very healthy choices -- fruit, cottage cheese, etc. Stick to those things. Maybe an omelet for protein and energy. That should easily carry you through lunch at least.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've shared this tip on several occasions but it may work........

Buy some cheap, colored bangle bracelets. I have black, gold and silver. In the morning, I put 5 (you can determine how many), of each color on my right wrist. Black is for water, gold is for fruit and silver is for veggies. As I have a serving of each, I move the appropriate bangle from my right wrist to my left. At Disney, you may not be keeping a food journal and may lose track, but the bracelets may help you as they do for me, in keeping focused so that I know if all the bracelets are on my left wrist at the end of the day, I know I've done well.

Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • egdanger1
    egdanger1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the GOOD advice. I feel so much better now, I have decided:

1. I will control my protions, I will have the things that I want, but I will control how much I eat.
    2. I will hit the hotel gym or take a walk/run outside in the mornings before everyone gets up
    3. I know that I am going to make some "Bad" choices, but I will make an effort to make more good than bad choices, and protion control.
    4. I will limit myself to water at all meals, but I must have my adult beverages, in moderation, on some days
    5. I will log all of my food at night
    6. I will change my goal to "maintenance" for this week only, it is my goal not to gain, but maintain.

Thank you again!!!!!!!!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like a pretty good plan - also, I'd add that you'll reply to this post and let us know how you did! That may motivate you to follow the plan you set up :)