Core Strength

Options
I would like to do more strengthening for my core. I lift weights following a program 4x a week. There is some direct core work but not a ton. I do know that compound lifts also strengthen the core. I am wondering if Pilates 1-2x a week would be good to add or if it would be overtraining. Does anyone here do Pilates in addition to lifting? Has it given you good results?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Hard to say for sure as this is largely a "your mileage may vary" type of scenario. I certainly thing it's worth trying for a few weeks, though.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've heard pilates is really good for core strength. I've found straight arm strength training to be one of the best thing for core building. Working towards skills like planche, front lever, back lever, L-sits, etc. Hollow body, supermans and planks.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    pilates could help.
    "power" yoga could help
    planks could help
    stall bars
    aerial arts

• RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There are sooo many options for building core strength it's hard to know where to begin. My own skills lie in calisthenics (bodyweight strength training) and whilst static holds such as planche, front and back lever, human flag etc take great core strength, they're quite advanced moves even for someone with good core strength. Hollow body hold is a great exercise, planks and side planks, lying knee tuck, lying bicycles, hanging knee raises progressing to hanging straight leg raises etc are all very good. That said, even doing pull ups on a bar are good for your core as you maintain total body tension throughout.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! Some of these I already do and some I will give a try. I think I will go ahead and add in the Pilates for a few weeks and see how it goes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I have done Pilates and/or belly dancing on my alternate days, 1 or 2 x a week. Right now I am doing yoga x 3 and aqua fit x 1.

I like classes like this because they really help with my core engagement, posture, balance, and flexibility.

I do a medium weight programme (AllPro) and little in the way of accessory or isolation work on lifting days. I find these programmes take up the slack for me.

Cheers, h.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Just adding 5-10 minutes of planks at the end of your workouts will do a lot build core strength.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    breathing and bracing can also help too. lie down flat back on floor, take a deep breath in through your diaphragm (fill your belly with air) not just your chest - belly fills up before chest does. hold it, then pull your pelvic floor up. you should kind of feel like a barrel expanding outwards. how work towards being able to breathe and talk and stuff whilst holding that brace. not easy.
  • alevbrant
    alevbrant Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Pilates is great for working the 4 layers of your ab muscles. The deepest transverse abs is most important for posture and stabilizing, which will support your form in other exercises. I like Piyo too for variety. I'm not a video workout person at all but I've enjoyed the Beachbody Piyo videos.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    alevbrant wrote: »
    Pilates is great for working the 4 layers of your ab muscles. The deepest transverse abs is most important for posture and stabilizing, which will support your form in other exercises. I like Piyo too for variety. I'm not a video workout person at all but I've enjoyed the Beachbody Piyo videos.

I've never done piyo, although it does sound interesting.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Yoga.

See, I really enjoy yoga and I'll be really committed for a few weeks and then I just get bored with it. I wish I found it more fun.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Yoga.

See, I really enjoy yoga and I'll be really committed for a few weeks and then I just get bored with it. I wish I found it more fun.

Did you do your yoga in a class setting, or at home?

I just can't do it at home, it's boring. I do much better in a class setting, it is slow moving, but incredibly challenging.

I do get the 'wishing it was more fun'. I started going because my SO was interested and it must have taken close to two months for my brain to settle into the calm of it and really appreciate the focus one has to bring into it.
    I do think you have to shop around and find the yoga form and instructor that suits you.

I do a belly/indie dance class or aquafit for fun and giggles ( both good core workout).

Cheers, h.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    Yoga.

I just can't do it at home, it's boring. I do much better in a class setting, it is slow moving, but incredibly challenging.

I do get the 'wishing it was more fun'. I started going because my SO was interested and it must have taken close to two months for my brain to settle into the calm of it and really appreciate the focus one has to bring into it.
    I do think you have to shop around and find the yoga form and instructor that suits you.

I do a belly/indie dance class or aquafit for fun and giggles ( both good core workout).

Cheers, h.

I've done both at home and in studio. I definitely prefer the class environment and I really like the latest instructor. I don't know what my problem is with it. I always feel really good when I'm done.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Yoga.

Cheers, h.

I've done both at home and in studio. I definitely prefer the class environment and I really like the latest instructor. I don't know what my problem is with it. I always feel really good when I'm done.

I definitely prefer the studio as well, but I find that I enjoy it and get the most out of it when I fully commit to focusing solely on yoga and not letting my mind wander. In other words, getting in the right mindset for the whole class really makes a difference although at times I still struggle with that when I have too many things on my mind.

I've learned that there are many different types of yoga so try different classes to see what you like.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Yoga.

Cheers, h.

I definitely prefer the studio as well, but I find that I enjoy it and get the most out of it when I fully commit to focusing solely on yoga and not letting my mind wander. In other words, getting in the right mindset for the whole class really makes a difference although at times I still struggle with that when I have too many things on my mind.

I've learned that there are many different types of yoga so try different classes to see what you like.

Yes, mindset is probably part of my problem. I'm always so distracted with everything on my to-do list. I do prefer vinyasa yoga but I don't have anywhere local that provides it.