been doing this for a long time

Options
my weight has been fluctuating my whole life. i log everything i eat, 1,200 calories a day, and i exercise at least 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day. i ocassionally won’t log a bag of popcorn or a tablespoon of nutella or a handfull of pretzels, but i really feel like i should be losing more. (yes those things add up and im trying to get better at not snacking). i eat when im hungry, i’m not starving myself. yes, i’m in college— drinking is unavoidable but for me, not all that frequent. twice a week max. yes, because im in college, dining hall food gives me limited options but i do my best. yes im young and growing and very active, but i’m around 148 right now and miss my 136 figure. (i’m almost 5’5). im not even quite sure why im making this post, but any help or advice or words of wisdom from people who have been there would really help. i just want to feel confident again!!!

Replies

• gillrushhh
    gillrushhh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hard pill to swallow. guess i gotta buckle down
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gillrushhh wrote: »
    hard pill to swallow. guess i gotta buckle down

Yeah, it's rough. Some people find that roughly estimating calories or logging almost everything works well for them, but other people (like me) find that they need to be a bit more rigorous in order to see the results they want.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If you’re eating at the dining hall you probably aren’t weighing out your portions, and even if ingredients are posted you don’t know how much of each thing went into what you’re eating. It’s going to be really, really difficult for you to log accurately, and that’s before we even address the issue of just skipping logging treats.

My suggestion is to start taking pictures of everything you eat before you eat it. Try to use the same size plates and the same angles, and photograph snacks, too. After a couple of weeks of doing that and seeing how your weight responds, you can use those pictures as references, to figure out what your portions need to look like for your goals.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think you know what you have to do. If you can't log your food accurately or choose what you want to eat every day because you eat in the food hall, you're going to have to look to your snacking and drinking as ways to reduce your calorie consumption. You can track that accurately so start there. Track it all for a week, see how much "extra" you're taking in that you don't really need and see if you can't slice off 250kcal a day or 1750/week. Switch from beer or cocktails to clear spirits and slimline mixers, skip the tablespoon of nutella and the pretzels, you can probably keep the popcorn if it's not smothered in butter. You have plenty of room to play around here without even touching the food hall issue.

I would still do my best to keep the food hall portions consistent though and eyeball as best you can. The whole protein portion the size of your palm, half the plate of veggies type of guidelines might be helpful.