High reps/low weight or heavier weight/ low rep

Options
Could someone tell me which is better? I want to lose some weight and tone up/ grow a bigger bum. I have around 5kg to lose. Am in a calorie deficit and do some cardio.

I enjoy lifting heavier but if more reps and lower weight is going to help me achieve my goals quicker?

Lauren

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Find a program that is in line with your goals and then stick to it. You might like strong curves or get glutes
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stay in a moderate deficit and lift heavy for 8-12 reps per set. Toning is building muscle. Make sure you are getting enough protein too. How many times a week are you lifting?
  • rdmartin677
    rdmartin677 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stay in a moderate deficit and lift heavy for 8-12 reps per set. Toning is building muscle. Make sure you are getting enough protein too. How many times a week are you lifting?

You cant lift heavy for 8-12 reps.... that is light weight. Heavy weight is around 3-6 reps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You cant lift heavy for 8-12 reps.... that is light weight. Heavy weight is around 3-6 reps.

No, that's not light weight. It's lighter than something you'd generally lift for fewer reps but it's not light weight.

OP, you're not going to get a larger butt while shrinking in size (i.e., losing weight) but you can "tone up" (meaning losing fat and showing some muscle.) A program like Strong Curves will give you that lower body focus that you want.
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

For muscle hypertrophy 8-12 reps is great and will need to be a fairly taxing weight where the last couple of reps will be a struggle.
    I guess this depends on your definition of heavy though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Incorrect, one can lift heavy at any rep range depending on the intensity used.

For a trained person the following reps schemes with the intensity relative to a one rep max will leave about one rep in the tank and it will feel just as heavy as the last rep of every set.

3 reps at 89.2% of 1RM
    6 reps at 81.1% of 1RM
    8 reps at 76.2% of 1RM
    12 reps at 65.3% of 1RM
    Could someone tell me which is better? I want to lose some weight and tone up/ grow a bigger bum. I have around 5kg to lose. Am in a calorie deficit and do some cardio.

I enjoy lifting heavier but if more reps and lower weight is going to help me achieve my goals quicker?

Lauren

Compliance to a program will give you the quickest results depending on you as a individual and how you respond to it. Pick one that appeals to you as a beginner. It really doesn't matter as most people will respond positively to any program the first several weeks.

You're not going to grow a bigger bum in a deficit, but depending on tge ratio of glute muscle:fat you currently have, it might give the appearance. It will also depend on where you lose fat.
  • absandbootygoal
    absandbootygoal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!