Pushups, harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd, LOL!!

Options
I finally got down and did pushups today. I barely squeeked out 10, LOL! But I did it and tomorrow, I hope I can do another 10, maybe even squeek one more. I am excited to see how much muscle I can tone or even build by using nothing by my own weight.

If anyone else here does pushups or other I would love to know how you are doing or how far you have gotten with it:wink::drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I finally got down and did pushups today. I barely squeeked out 10, LOL! But I did it and tomorrow, I hope I can do another 10, maybe even squeek one more. I am excited to see how much muscle I can tone or even build by using nothing by my own weight.

If anyone else here does pushups or other I would love to know how you are doing or how far you have gotten with it:wink::drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    if it makes you feel any better i can do only 8 girly pushups LOL but hey im up from 2 :laugh:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I just had a baby 2 months ago and started back working out. I can do 40 girl push-ups but only 3 boy pushups. I'm working on it!!!
  • FitAt47
    Options
    After you grind out your first 10, you may want to try and do your second set on an incline (feet on the ground, hands on a chair). It will be a lot easier, and allow you to continue to workout your chest beyond what you would do on the ground.

:happy:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby 2 months ago and started back working out. I can do 40 girl push-ups but only 3 boy pushups. I'm working on it!!!

thats about where I am at.. :laugh:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    are you doing the 100 push up challenge? i am going to start it next month...:cry:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    do pushups work your arms, your chest, or both?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

Both

NWCountryGal - did you do real guy push-ups? I still can't do one "real" one - but I can do 10 of the girly ones...my arms are so weak - but getting stronger and anything that works my chest is really hard
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising since last summer, I do pushups here and there in my boot camp classes, I CANNOT for the life of me do a single pushup on my toes, always have to go to my knees. My arms are strong, but not strong enough for that! Perhaps when I lose those last 10 pounds to hit my goal, I won't have as much to lift!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Here is that 100 Pushups Challenge website.

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

There also are several challenge threads going in "Fitness & Exercise" if anyone wants to read other MFP folks' stories etc.
    They are extremely hard. As with all exercise, your body adapts if continually done.

I can comfortably do over 100 or so military pushups now, but started exactly where you are.

Hang in there. They get easier.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Hey! Join us on the Hundred push ups thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/39004-hundred-push-ups-february
    We start a new one each month. I have been doing push ups for a long time and noticed a change in my arms fairly quickly. I have a picture in my profile. I love doing push ups, though there are some days I don't feel like doing them. lol. I just feel so much better!
    MM
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    ugh, pushups. I had a bit of a smart mouth in the Army, I am very familiar with pushups.

I do them for time at a constant repetition, rather than count the numbers. I would hate to know how many I have done lol

Some ways to improve what the pushup does for you is to vary your stance. Not just diamonds and wide arms and everything in between, but inclines, hand high, feet high, one foot on top the other, feet apart, feet together, hold the plank position, hold it in the down(no touching cheater!) position.

Yeah pushups are wonderful exercises. I have a love hate thing going on with them...
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh cooooooooool!!! I love it:) That's great!! I can't do the girly ones because of my bad knee. You go girl. Lets keep in touch! I've seen some great muscle toning and building in pics of folks that did just pushups(upper body)

denise in OR:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

if it makes you feel any better i can do only 8 girly pushups LOL but hey im up from 2 :laugh:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Awesome!! I don't really know the dif but it must be what, less weight if you do it from your knees?? Anyway, whatever works. Id be doing the knee ones if I could but my left knee won't allow that:(

denise in OR:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Really??? Good info, thank you much!!!!:drinker: :drinker:

After you grind out your first 10, you may want to try and do your second set on an incline (feet on the ground, hands on a chair). It will be a lot easier, and allow you to continue to workout your chest beyond what you would do on the ground.

:happy:
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    I can only just do 20 millitary style push ups please dont call them boy push ups us gals are just as strong if not stronger than boys lets give us the credit we all deserve.

Yeah for push ups.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    No, I didn't know about it but ty for the headsup:):drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    are you doing the 100 push up challenge? i am going to start it next month...:cry:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I had the list somewhere but pushups work a whole bunch of muscles!! They are really an amazing exercise, oldey but a goldey!! I found out about them, the muscles, because I can't go into a gym and wanted to do something that wouldn't hurt my knee. My exercise of choice is walking but I have to be careful now and not overdo:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I did the guy ones because I can't do anything that puts pressure on my knee(kneeling etc.) The guy ones don't seem to hurt my knee. Keep it up girlfriend and goooooooooood work!!!:wink::drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Both

NWCountryGal - did you do real guy push-ups? I still can't do one "real" one - but I can do 10 of the girly ones...my arms are so weak - but getting stronger and anything that works my chest is really hard