How do you eat your salads?

Options
With small amounts of regular dressing? With "light" dressing? With a vinaigrette of some kind? With no dressing at all?

Help, please. Need salad inspiration.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use a flavored balsamic reduction, about 3/4 tablespoon (10 mL), or if I'm having mussels I use the oil that comes with them as the dressing,
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    With dinner I like olive oil and balsamic or red wine vinegar.

If it's for lunch I like a bit of light Caesar dressing mixed with light zesty Italian. There are lots of low calorie dressings out there, make sure you measure them, some of them can add up.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Typically with balsamic vinaigrette or any other vinegar based dressing. I'm not a fan of salads with no dressing.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    With small amounts of regular dressing? With "light" dressing? With a vinaigrette of some kind? With no dressing at all?

Autumn/Winter preference: Reduced balsamic vinegar vinaigrette
    Spring/Summer preference: Lemon or just the salads
  • TheCountryLife
    TheCountryLife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Newman's Olive Oil & Vinegar Dressing with 0 carbs & 0 sugar :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Bernstein's Light Cheese Fantastico with added fresh garlic and some lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. That's my favorite sometimes I make homemade creamy dressings.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In a giant mixing bowl, usually dressed with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and hot sauce. If I'm feeling especially crazy, I'll use salsa.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make my own vinaigrette...otherwise usually Bolthouse Farms blue cheese dressing or Newman's Own lite Italian...just depends on my mood. If I'm having a salad at a restaurant I just get whatever dressing on the side.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hummus or full fat mayo for me. A little goes a long way plus fat helps keep me full
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i don't do salads. i do eat my veggies raw and cut up though.

Hungry Girl recommends "dip don't poor". she dips her fork or the salad in portioned out dressing
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,227 Member
    Options
    Salad is optional for weight loss or nutrition, but I like salad. I mostly use various vinegars (flavored or not), usually with nuts or seeds or cheese rather than oil or vinaigrette. (It's good to eat some fats with veggies in order to better absorb the fat-soluble vitamins.) I add my own herbs/garlic/spices.

Sometimes I make a dressing with Greek yogurt and seasonings. Sometimes I use salsa. Sometimes I include something like tahini (ground sesame seeds) with vinegar instead of another fat source. Sometimes I dress the salad with cottage cheese (or cottage cheese and salsa).

There are many reduced-calorie dressings nowadays that many people find tasty. There's a current thread about dressings here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10705278/the-salad-dressing-post

I don't buy commercial bottled dressings because (1) l like variety, (2) I live alone and it takes forever to eat a whole bottle of dressing, and (3) I like to cook.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i eat green leaves right from the package. sometimes i put them on a plate first. rarely if ever do i dress them. I prefer to save my fat and sugar intake to come from other foods.

if i'm at a salad bar, i will, sometimes, add olives and roasted red peppers for a simulation of dressing.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't! A salad for a meal just seems so sad to me. I will have a side salad now and again and I usually do ranch which isn't good on the calories but they do make light ranch. I have also done cottage cheese to kind of get that dressing feel, and maybe just a tiny bit of ranch to get the flavor.
  • leen2389
    leen2389 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice or salsa are my go to
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,175 Member
    Options
    Vegetables must have some kind of flavor on them or I'd never be able to choke them down. I like the Bolthouse yogurt dressings spiked with hot sauce. They're low calorie enough that you can use enough dressing to actually cover the whole pile.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »

Autumn/Winter preference: Reduced balsamic vinegar vinaigrette
    Spring/Summer preference: Lemon or just the salads

Forgot: Apple cider vinegar vinaigrette
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much "salad" like lettuce and little veggies.

I do eat roasted/sauteed/ steamed/ grilled/baked etc etc vegetables with olive oil, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper.