Starting running

Options
KSPR1
KSPR1 Posts: 4 Member
Dear all- I’m a newbie health enthusiast. 41 male and have been doing weights, resistance and a bit of cardio for about 5 months. I’m doing well and with diet changes have lost 11kgs and am now 76 kgs. Have some stubborn stomach fat and wanting to obliterate this completely. Was thinking of adding in some running- but have always hated in the last. Not sure whether to start on treadmill at gym- to tempting to stop- or do an outside run which would be more interesting and I would have to keep going to get home. How would you start? How far is reasonable for a first run? Was wanting to do a run at least ince a week for now combined with my three times a week other stuff. Any advice greatly received including what to eat and before or after a run!!! Cheers guys.

Replies

• PigHerder
    PigHerder Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Download a "Couch to 5k" app. It'll guide you through the whole process.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I recently took up running again. How far you can run at first totally depends on the individual. I would recommend a program like Couch to 5K. I didn’t do that specific program but did something very similar. Those typically will have you running 3x a week though.

I started out running on the treadmill because mentally it was easier to push myself to keep running on the treadmill. But now I’ve moved to running outside. It’s definitely more enjoyable outside. Some people hate the treadmill and others don’t mind it. It’s really just all about personal preference. If you eventually want to run a race it will be good to get some training outside.

As for what to eat. I don’t eat anything specific. I just make sure not to eat for at least an hour before a run or it tends to upset my stomach (TMI - I’ve had a couple runs end in a sprint to the bathroom just because I eat too soon beforehand).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, you don't have to run. There are lots of other ways to get your cardio. Neither running nor any other form of exercise will specifically burn stomach fat, as you cannot spot reduce fat.

If you do want to run, start with Couch to 5K. There are many versions of the program out there, but they all use a run/walk approach to gradually build you up to a 30 minute run. Go to a running store, get fitted for proper shoes, and download a C25K program.

I personally despise treadmills and do not run on them unless there is absolutely no other option. Some people like treadmills. I do not understand those people.

If you're running first thing in the morning, I like a light carb-rich snack for fuel. For me, that's usually fresh or dried fruit. For short runs, I don't eat until after my workout, and then I have my normal breakfast after.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PigHerder wrote: »
    Download a "Couch to 5k" app. It'll guide you through the whole process.

^^this, but it is 3 times a week.

Also, go to a good running store and get a gait analysis of some kind done. Running in the wrong shoes can be painful.

Don't worry too much about eating. Just don't overeat before a run. I do oatmeal and a banana, as well as coffee.

I run on the treadmill only when I can't run outside, but did the C25K on a treadmill.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with c25k as a good starting point.

I just started running however... I measured out a 2 mile route and ran...
  • KSPR1
    KSPR1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I used to hate running but now I’m a bit fitter and lighter feel quite motivated to give it a try. Also although not trying to spot reduce fat on stomach- I’ve lost quite a bit of weight and the stomach area is the most stubborn so wanted to add in something other than what I do already to increase calorie burn and hopefully fat reduction which will have an impact on the area that’s bothering me. Thanks for all the advice - will be sure to look up the c25k app.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    C25K is the best beginner running program and, in my opinion the podcast/recordings by Robert Ullrey are the best implementation of that program

He's created a recording for each week of the program and they're just perfect. He's selected music with a tempo appropriate to keep you moving at a decent pace and put in voice prompts to tell you when to speed up and slow down as well as popping in with some words of encouragement during some of the intervals. I really can't recommend them enough.
  • N3dStarKz
    N3dStarKz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started running about a year ago, it definitely helps burning calories if you watch why you eat. I was never a runner but now try to run 3-5 times a week. Started out on treadmill playing with different speeds looking for what worked for me but eventually got boring. Running outside is much more peaceful once you get past the shyness. Push yourself but don’t push yourself where you don’t want to go running ever again. Make it enjoyable , compete with yourself. How far can you go without stopping then next time try to run past that spot next run. Eventually you get to know your own comfortable pace and distance . Have fun with it