How do you eat your salads?

Options

Replies

• stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love salads, especially in summer time. I also love all types of salad dressings. I know some people are like "don't use that it has so much hidden sugar or fat" but I honestly don't care.
    As long as I portion it out correctly and keep it within my calorie limit there's no issues.
    Some of my favourites are:
    Newman's Own Creamy Caesar or Caesar Vinaigrette
    Creamy Balsamic
    Or recently I've been making a vinaigrette with olive oil, white wine vinegar, wholegrain mustard and a bit of salt and pepper :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    When I ate salads, I'd make my own dressing and take it with me to wherever I was eating that day (usually a fast food restaurant). I'd use a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar free maple syrup and then do the dipping the fork into the dressing first and then spearing the lettuce thing. It kept the calories and sodium down that way.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I love ranch and recently tried the Hidden Valley Ranch made with greek yogurt. It's 60 calories per serving (the regular is 120 per serv) and it tastes very very close to the original. Also- I really dislike greek yogurt by itself so if you do too you may still like this. I discovered that I really like salsa as a nice low calorie dressing as well.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I cook my chicken breast with seasonings that I like with about 1 tbs of olive oil and the juices from my chicken I pour it on my salad and cut my chicken up on top of my salad. Yum😋
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Thousand Island, French, or Catalina. I just use light or fat free and the food scale to keep the calories down.
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Balsimic vinegar and hot sauce or salsa mixed with cottage cheese is a go to
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I usually eat mine without dressing, just salt and pepper. In all fairness though, tonight's salad was almost 2 lb of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, pickles, sweet corn, one avocado and 7 oz of oil drained tuna. That would be a salad for me. I don't get the sides... I mean either you DO, or you don't.

If I need dressing, I'll just dump in a Greek yogurt, thinned a bit and with dried basil, sage, oregano etc. mixed in.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have been preferring to eat veggies as is. On the rarest occasion, lemon and chili dressing.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Depends. Anything from a very light drizzle of light balsamic dressing to a good dollop of ranch, to getting my dressing on the side and dipping my fork before stabbing the salad. Depends on my calories for the day.

Also, I prefer a form for eating salad.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just some nice balsamic vinegar
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use 13g of quality olive oil (and you should too) plus 1tsp of balsamic. Much of the stuff found in grocery stores have been cut with other oils. A 500ml EVO first press bottle of oil selling for less than $20 has been cut. A tsp of good oil will burn the throat a little. https://texashillcountryoliveco.com/ Sola Stella (Lone Star) is my fav.

Olive oil should be included in our daily diet & with a little motivation you can find a way to work it in.

My salads generally include raw squash, zucchini, black eye peas, olives, tomatoes, Greek peppers & sometimes raisins, sometimes jalapenos.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I also always go for creamy dressings, cheese and bacon bits. I have to make them yummy and filled up like crazy otherwise I won't feel satiated. I loooooove salad. I also did this taco salad lately with lettuce and spinach, taco meat, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cheese, salsa, sour cream and crumbled tortilla chips on top. YUM!!! My salads easily come up to 300-500cals. It's often a whole meal by itself!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I typically go with something light... Honey Mustard (there are some good light versions too), or balsamic are common. Any vinaigrette including lighter ones are usually good. One place has a lime vinaigrette that was tasty and only 25 calories. If I may mention a brand, "Ken's" has a great line of light dressings including a sesame ginger vinaigrette that is wonderful.

However, once and a while as a treat I like a little blue cheese dressing. This in the one case I will go full fat. I will be conservative on the amount, but it's one dressing that "lite" just does not work well.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I usually like to have a fruit element involved in my salad. I find this makes me need less dressing, because it gives it a good taste and flavor on its own. I will usually add a little of honey mustard, but only put small drops throughout the salad.

We really don't need as much dressing as we think, and not nearly as much as comes on pre-made salads at restaurants. In fact too much dressing makes it soggy.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    I love ranch and recently tried the Hidden Valley Ranch made with greek yogurt. It's 60 calories per serving (the regular is 120 per serv) and it tastes very very close to the original. Also- I really dislike greek yogurt by itself so if you do too you may still like this. I discovered that I really like salsa as a nice low calorie dressing as well.

I like their Greek Yogurt dressings too! I think the ranch is good and the spinach/feta dressing is tasty as well.
  • djjeffa
    djjeffa Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't! Never like salad lol
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I like bolthouse farms dressings, and other “lighter” options. I sometimes just squeeze some lemon and ACV as well too. And then top it off with other seasonings like black pepper, chilli flakes, cilantro, etc.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I love huge big as my head salads with everything in it. I use the greek yogurt ranch dressing.

My salads can get up to 600 with added avocado, cheese, beans and a boca chicken patty so I have to go very light on the dressing:)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I don't use dressing. I use either avocado or hummus to "glue" the salad together.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    With homemade blue cheese dressing.