Egg free, Chicken free, yeast free (as much as possible)

Options
MeraiahB
MeraiahB Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Allergies Suck! ok got that out of the way, lol . I am allergic to eggs chicken and yeast and try to be good about it so and working on putting together meals and recipes for these allergies. There is so many things we can not have but I want to make a list of what we can have.

All grains and growing things have some yeast but the point is to minimize by using freshest ingredients and washing well before use (like fresh fruits and veggies) Also adding more good bacteria items like Greek yogurt and such helps.

Minimize Sugar and carbs (yeast loves these) so I use Stevia instead of sugar in most recipes.

I use 2 make things for egg substitutions ENER-G egg replacer and Garbanzo bean (chick pea) juice. (I bake the Garbanzo beans coated in salt or BBQ spice or what ever else suits my mood as a good snack. or make a bean salad)

Basics , all fresh or fast frozen and minimal grains, no fermented (including Alcohol) except bare minimal ,sorry sometimes you just need vinegar or a something or it just is not gonna be right. (But usually at those times compensate with a high probiotic food or supplement.) No fungus , yes this means no mushrooms and aged cheeses.

I know I have not put some stuff down but I am sure there are many out there that can help fill in the blanks but I want this thread to be about what you can have not what we can't have.

WE need positivity and happiness in a world full of no's.

So help out with IDEAS and foods that are budget friendly and special diet friendly! Thanks all.

Meraiah

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor send you to a dietician when you were diagnosed? With that many restrictions, it might be a good idea to get some professional help to make sure you are meeting your nutritional requirements.

Best of luck to you, eating with those allergies cannot be easy.
  • MeraiahB
    Options
    Yes there is a long list of can't haves but that is mostly what the nutritionist tell you, you can't have these so try looking for things without it all . that is one reason I started this because there are many people with egg allergies and yeast overgrowth issues so thought this might help.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi @MeraiahB

Even with allergies- sounds like there is still a lot of food out there for you!

What about different meats like:
    venison
    ostrich
    Bison
    Goose
    Duck
    Pork
    Goat
    Rabbit
    Lamb
    (I could go through the animal kingdom lol - there is a lot to choose from if it’s just chicken you can’t eat. )

I didn’t hear a seafood allergy. That’s a whole ocean of opportunity! (Sorry couldn’t help myself. 🤗)
    My favs are Bronzino and Orange Roughy
    Shellfish?
    Eel?

Try experimenting with different international vegetables to add in variety? Not sure where you live - I’m in NYC - so I have lots of vegetables year round from around the world. Different online markets have all sorts of fresh vegetables to try if it’s not close to your location.
    Have you looked at international recipes and spices to add variety?

Nuts? Nut butters?

Seeds? What about recipes that use flaxseeds or chia?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    MeraiahB wrote: »
    Yes there is a long list of can't haves but that is mostly what the nutritionist tell you, you can't have these so try looking for things without it all . that is one reason I started this because there are many people with egg allergies and yeast overgrowth issues so thought this might help.

Yeast overgrowth? As in yeast infection? Or was this something diagnosed by your nutritionist?
  • MeraiahB
    Options
    I eat high protein so lots of meat but have to be picky with veggies and fruits as they have to be really fresh because the older they are the more likely they are to have more yeasts on them.

The only fish I really like can't get around here , makes me miss Alaska, lol I used to catch Halibut myself and stock my upright freezer every year. Thousands of dollars worth of fish for virtually nothing.But I eat shrimp regularly now.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat high protein so lots of meat but have to be picky with veggies and fruits as they have to be really fresh because the older they are the more likely they are to have more yeasts on them.

The only fish I really like can't get around here , makes me miss Alaska, lol I used to catch Halibut myself and stock my upright freezer every year. Thousands of dollars worth of fish for virtually nothing.But I eat shrimp regularly now.

Oooh I am going to get some halibut this week to try. Thanks for the idea!

It’s always been a dream of mine to go fishing in Alaska. I can’t imagine how great that fish tastes. I wait for Copper River Salmon every spring.

Do you have room for a garden outside or a hydroponic garden inside? That could take care of fresh vegetables in spring and summer.
    How do you feel about frozen vegetables?

Do fruits & vegetables with a removable peel help with yeast ie onion, avocado, etc.

Cheers,
    M
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    OK well this has gotten off track, I DO have Allergies and people do have overgrowth. I have gone to registered dietitians and they are not all that much help except to say you can't have so try these that are so expensive a normal disabled person can not afford it especially with others to feed in the house.

This thread is supposed to be for Positive Ideas , that was just General information similar to what MY DOCTOR's (2 of them gave me) that was included with the do not eat list. It is backed with science I just chose a easy to find general info page so don't go all wacko because it is not a science journal.
    Nope, nothing in that post is backed by science. It's pure pseudoscientific. This idea of candida overgrowth causing all sorts of non-specific maladies is complete nonsense, with not a shred a science to back it up. Superficially, candida infections show up most commonly in the form of oral thrush or vaginal candidiasis, often treated with OTC antifungals. Systemically it is a whole other story. I'm going up assume you've never seen a patient with systemic candidiasis, because if your have you'd realize how wrong that entire copy and paste if yours is. I was an RN in an iCU and have seen what a real systemic candida infection looks like, it's not pretty and it usually doesn't end well. Oh, pointing out misinformation and pseudoscience is not going "whacko".
    I could have posted that but it would have been hard to understand for many.
    Really? So basically many people on here are not educated? What an obnoxious statement. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people on here probably know alot more about this than you. But please, humor us simpletons, find one peer-reviewed journal article that proves any of nonsense in that post and let's discuss it. I'm pretty sure it's not going to go well for you.
    Now Back on track BE POSITIVE with good menu and food ideas for people with these issues. That is all. The last thing needed is more negativity.
    Nothing negative about pointing out pseudoscience and misinformation, its actually a positive thing to not let people believe they have non-existent conditions

I one time had oral thrush and a vaginal yeast infection(TMI) my dr wanted to test for cancer as well as HIV and other things(I know I didnt have HIV). she said yeast infections like that uually mean something is going on health wise. she gave me lozenges to dissolve in my mouth as well as diflucan to take for a few weeks.(1 pill once a week). it cleared it up. at no point did she tell me to avoid sugar and things like that. I asked her about it and she said while it can cause yeast to feed off it its not as much as you think and that with the meds it should be fine.

its the first time I ever had that issue. havent had it since. I notice that since I stopped taking a certain medication that I have had NO issues. so meds can cause it too.
  • MeraiahB
    Options
    I am a nurse as well and just because some extreme cases went to ICU does not mean it is not accurate. Antibiotics are a big cause of yeast infections and overgrowth as well as deficient immune systems. If is is not a "real thing" then Doctors would not treat it and insurances would not pay for treatment. Many overweight people end up with yeast infections in skin folds and heavy chested women get it under their breast ,some are more prone than others even keeping the areas clean daily. Heat and moisture are the growth factors as well as excessive yeast on and in the body and altered immune systems .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163673/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322722.php?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Medical_News_Today_TrendMD_1

https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/invasive/definition.html

there are some medical references, there are many more but this is not what the thread is about , I did not make it to argue with people but to help people finding FOOD they can eat when on a restricted diet. Please respect that. if you want to argue medical points about yeast overgrowth start another thread please. This is not the place.

This is for people that have been told by a medical professional to restrict their diet or those that are trying it to see if they will feel better to find good stuff to eat and enjoy

Now if you want a milkshake put 1 cup unsweetened Almond milk in a mixer add 4 oz frozen berries and some stevia and blend. Have a sweet treat to perk up the middle of the week!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I had yeast overgrowth in my skin folds when I was class II obese. It had nothing to do with my internal workings, and my doctor prescribed a cream that was a combination steroid/antifungal to clear it up.

• MeraiahB
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »

Oooh I am going to get some halibut this week to try. Thanks for the idea!

It’s always been a dream of mine to go fishing in Alaska. I can’t imagine how great that fish tastes. I wait for Copper River Salmon every spring.

Do you have room for a garden outside or a hydroponic garden inside? That could take care of fresh vegetables in spring and summer.
    How do you feel about frozen vegetables?

Do fruits & vegetables with a removable peel help with yeast ie onion, avocado, etc.

Cheers,
    M

I am starting a vegetable garden outside this next year and an herb garden around the house as some herbs keep pests like spiders and ants away ,, not to mention snakes ugh!
    My husband is thinking about a greenhouse but I doubt he will get motivated on it lol.
    The fresher the veggie the better removing peels do not make much of a difference because older fruits and veggies start fermenting inside as they break down. I freeze fresh veggies and fruits when they are in season so I have plenty in the freezer , I know how they were when I processed them. buying frozen is good as well but you never know how long they sat before frozen so I wash them well first.
  • MeraiahB
    Options
    I had yeast overgrowth in my skin folds when I was class II obese. It had nothing to do with my internal workings, and my doctor prescribed a cream that was a combination steroid/antifungal to clear it up.

yes that happens , some people have once in a while and it clears up and does not come back but others have had it chronically as well as in other areas that have been treated in my place of employment in the past. Creams and powers help but sometimes it needs to be treated systematically.