salad/slaw in fridge

Hi everyone,

quick question.

Iv been making my own salad/slaw of grated carrot, cucumber, radish, celery, red onion, apple and a dolop of mayo.
I make it fresh every meal I have it with (usually dinner) but was wondering if I made up a bigger batch and kept in fridge how many days will it stay fresh (in air tight container)??
will the apple go brown or will the mayo stop that???

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    edited November 2018
    Try it and let us know!

You could make it all except the apple and just add the apple right before you eat it.

Slaw in general gets soggy after a day, it isn't the same. The cucumber is what I would think about - that will get soggy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    The mayo will tend to keep the apple from browning, but the salt will make the cukes and apples (especially, but also others) release moisture and make the veggies more limp and the dressing more watery. If you like it crispy, fresh is your best bet. If you don't mind it softer and a little more swim-y, it will probably be OK for several days - i.e., won't much brown or spoil, with the mayo's vinegar and salt to help keep it.

Guessing, the carrot, radish, onion, and maybe celery would stay crisp grated in an airtight container in the fridge without dressing for 2-3 days (might dry out a tiny bit). You could set aside a bit of those in a small airtight container and monitor for a few days to see. The apple and cucumber will get mushy faster, so might best be added fresh.

Are you grating by hand? If so, a small food processor or good rotary hand grater might speed the process for making it fresh.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Iv left a bit from dinner in the fridge tonight to see how it goes.

Yes I grate by hand. Iv not got food processor
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Ok so the bit o left from last night's dinner was ok today. Everything still crunchy but Apple slightly brown.

Just to clarify the only thing grated is the carrot. Everything else is chopped/sliced.
    Anyway. I'm gonna do everything except the Apple and mayo and do 4 days worth at a time.
    Just to save me all the chopping time every night whilst also sorting 5 kids lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    You might find that if you toss the chopped apple with a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar but I think ACV might be tastiest) - just enough to coat, not drip - it will hold off the browning, and not majorly alter overall flavor. Just a thought.