Weight Loss Surgery Patients Here?

Options
I was just curious if maybe it would be nice for us to start a topic where weight loss surgery people can share our unique issues? Anyone interested?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    You can count me in.
  • hazeleyez2010
    hazeleyez2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can count me as well. I don't feel that you can have enough support.
  • ChandraC25
    Options
    Hi, I'm Chandra and I'm a weight loss patient! It will be 3 years in November that I had gastric bypass and to-date I've lost over 125 lbs. I'm also a member of ObesityHelp.com and they also have a lot of good information, support and a good resource for any information you might be looking for. Count me in!

Congrats skwilson1990 on your 114 weight loss and Nancy on your 47 lbs!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That would be a nice subject I ad RNY in February 2006. lost 185 and still working on the rest. I am in and thanx in advance...
  • phoenix9115
    Options
    im in too..im going on for open gastirc bypass on monday at 8am..im going to need alot of support and advice from people who have had it..
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Count me in~ I am 5 years out from RnY, maintaining currently, but would like to try to lose another 15 pounds, which is why I am here :)
  • golfgirllv
    golfgirllv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    count me in!
  • ButterflyAZ
    Options
    I am very interested. I just joined after having gastric bypass on Aug 3.
  • mystik0796
    Options
    That would be nice, I am a gastric sleeve patient, was sleeved march 14th 2011, and am down a total of 100 pounds now. (including 28 before surgery)
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sure, count me in. Looks like I'm the longest term post op posting here so far. 10 year post op from RnY gastric bypass. :)

Kat
  • powerballad
    Options
    i had a roux en y about 8 years ago. i was at 425 at my highest, got down to 180, got put on some meds that caused my weight to balloon, broke my ankle and needless to say i regained. i got back up to 300. now at 269. just doing portion control, calorie counting, making sure i get enough healthy fats, but i'm having trouble getting my iron and b12 as well as potassium. i'm supplementing, but it's still hard. i've started to loose my hair again in spite of taking biotin.
  • jan525
    jan525 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had surgery on Dec. 23rd and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Good luck, do what your doctor says, and I'll say a prayer for you.
  • powerballad
    Options
    also ladies, watch the alcohol. every doctor says somethin' different about when you can start drinking again if you choose to. but with the emotional changes you are going to go through it's easy to lose control. i've seen it happen to many of my girlfriends who have had any form of WLS....
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    also ladies, watch the alcohol. every doctor says somethin' different about when you can start drinking again if you choose to. but with the emotional changes you are going to go through it's easy to lose control. i've seen it happen to many of my girlfriends who have had any form of WLS....

This, unfortunately is VERY true, even without considering all of the liquid calories the alcohol adds to your diet, the emotional changes and reasons you became obese in the first place make it very easy to lose control if you start drinking again.
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    I haven't had the surger but after doing loads of reading and research, I'm following the wls plan. I'm what you'd call a non-op. I'm on another forum where a lady started to follow the plan pre-surgery so her body wouldn't go into the shock of it all and she ended up losing 40 lbs when her doctor said no and cancelled her operation. She's continued following the plan and has already lost over 100 lbs. It was because of her success that I started following the plan too. I'm now 3 lbs away from losing 30 lbs in 3 months. For those of you who have had the surgery, you will succeed.
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    powerballad... how's your daily protein. It's my understanding that increasing this helps to lessen the hair loss. Remember it needs to be minimum 65 gm per day. Your body doesn't "know" how it gets it... liquid or food, so long as it gets it.
  • DrHDLM
    DrHDLM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm a doctor, love nutrition and had a Gastric bypass 7 years ago, I've been through all the issues, well almost all of them. fell free to ask anything.
  • dstephens36
    Options
    I had the gastric by pass surgery on July 15, 2011. At first i thought i was making a big mistake, you here so many people talking about "Don't take the easy way out." This is anything but easy, but it was well worth it.. I've lost 70 lbs. since then. Unbelievable right???, but it's true. The surgery is a tool. What I mean by that is, you still have to work out diet and exercise if not the weight will just come back. I'm loving the way I look and feel now. I still have a ways to go, but i'm getting there. I went into the surgery weighing 410 lbs. I weighed in last week and now i'm at 340 lbs. :bigsmile:
  • dstephens36
    Options
    i'm in.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy on Dec 15th 2010. I'm down 197 pounds from my highest weight in June of 2010 and 140 pounds since surgery. All support is welcome. Love My Fitness Pal. Never really kept track of what I was eating till I joined. Realized I was not eating enough once I started tracking.