Getting promoted/changing jobs and doubts

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
For those of you that were promoted, etc. is it normal to have some fear about the change? I am in this position with my employer and just waiting for the paperwork. I find myself getting doubtful about whether or not I want this. I guess it is a confidence issue as well as the fact that there will be more expectations placed on me is kind of scary.

Sounds bad but a part of me thinks that at least at my lower position that I have been in for about 5 years I know what to expect and what is expected of me. I don't have to challenge myself as much as I will in this new position.

I am happy but yet feel scared and uncertain. The silly thing is it is risk free, same employer, etc. Just more pay and more responsibility yet...

Change is hard for me:(

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    change and uncertainty are stressful...before long you will know what to expect and what is expected of you...for now, just ride out the stress and do your best
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Change and the "unknown" can be scary sometimes but obviously they have confidence in you to give you the promotion. Go give it your all and rock that new position. Before you know it you'll have it mastered and wonder why you worried in the first place.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    The unknown is always gonna bring some anxiety. Just embrace the new opportunity and go into it with confidence. They thought enough of you to give you the promotion, so that speaks to your ability. Congrats!
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    takes some getting used to for sure. last time i upgraded i spent like 3 months feeling like i was doing it all wrong and i was lost.

in the end it wasn't like that at all. just keep your chin up and do your best and ask questions if you need em.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    First Congrats!
    I believe it to be a normal thing to feel nerves, anxiousness, and excitement when being promoted. But, once you get trained and settled in, I bet those feelings will subside. It is kind of like starting a new job.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I like my comfort zone too much where I feel "safe" even though I gripe about wanting to move up etc. but then when it is going to happen scares the crap out of me:) I keep telling myself do not let fear make decisions for you because I have done that in the past.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    Thanks all! I think I like my comfort zone too much where I feel "safe" even though I gripe about wanting to move up etc. but then when it is going to happen scares the crap out of me:) I keep telling myself do not let fear make decisions for you because I have done that in the past.

Definitely don't allow fear to control your decision. Fear will hold you back from everything. Challenges are what make us grow. Growth is a good thing. So what's to fear? Even if it is a bumpy transition, even if things don't go as smoothly in the beginning as you hope, it's still good. It's ok.

I was forced to change jobs a few years ago and had to manage things I wasn't used to managing. It was not even a promotion, yet I was doing more challenging things than before. And I got frustrated A LOT. But it's been a good thing overall.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i just started a new job 2.5 months ago - within the same organization but a different department/promotion...yes, it was a bit scary at first - but rememeby they wouldn't have selected you for the job if they didn't have faith in your ability to do it
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to change jobs two years ago. I was in a good job that would have allowed me to retire there, but I was unfulfilled. The change for me involved going from a mid sized (~150 people) non profit to one of the world's largest commercial companies.

I did a change about 7 years ago, as well. I started in the warehouse at a Fortune 500 Company and worked my way up to the office scene. Great benefits but pay was not too good for my experience I had gained and changes in Management made that specific location pretty hectic and extremely stressful to work in. So, I made the decision to move to a different company, which was a family owned and operated business. I started on the bottom and within 60 days was promoted with a raise. It was a struggle at first because I took a huge pay loss on the change. But, now, I have gone up every year and love being here. It was a scary decision in the beginning and being younger I was extremely nervous starting over, but I am so happy I made it.

• millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The fact that you applied for the position and are now waiting on the paperwork says two things. First, at some level you want the job or you wouldn't have gone for it. Secondly, and I think more importantly, someone above you believes you have the talent and drive to do the job or it wouldn't have been offered. Moving up and taking on new responsibilities is always going to come with some anxiety. Nothing out the ordinary there. I moved from a mid to high level management job this past summer. It was with the same company, the same team and in an office I've been working in for over 30 years. I felt just like you are describing. My advice after a couple of months in my new job? Don't waste time second guessing yourself. You earned it, you're qualified for it, your manager believes in you and you're going to crush it.