Has anybody lost weight by just setting one goal: eating less calories then you burn?

I'm on day 39 of what I'm calling the "worlds slowest diet" I only have one goal: To eat less calories then I burn each day. I've reached my goal 39 days in a row now.

My TDEE is about 1870 so I try to eat around that number, sometimes forcing food into my system so I'm not too low. But on days when I want a bit more, or know I have something going on for a certain meal I'll just plan to make sure I stay under my total calories burned for the day.

By doing this I'm finding that I'm eating better overall, and even on a 'binge' day I'm still net negative 100 calories or so. The process gives me an opportunity to practice better habits while still making my goal on days I eat poorly or eat too much.

Anybody have success taking this less rigid approach? I am losing weight, albeit a bit slowly.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Sounds good to me, maintaining your weight loss will be easy for you.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Everyone has "their" gosl, i chose to slowly lose weight it works for me.

Patience ....big word when dieting
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm on day 39 of what I'm calling the "worlds slowest diet" I only have one goal: To eat less calories then I burn each day. I've reached my goal 39 days in a row now.

My TDEE is about 1870 so I try to eat around that number, sometimes forcing food into my system so I'm not too low. But on days when I want a bit more, or know I have something going on for a certain meal I'll just plan to make sure I stay under my total calories burned for the day.

By doing this I'm finding that I'm eating better overall, and even on a 'binge' day I'm still net negative 100 calories or so. The process gives me an opportunity to practice better habits while still making my goal on days I eat poorly or eat too much.

Anybody have success taking this less rigid approach? I am losing weight, albeit a bit slowly.

Hell yeah, that was my whole plan, and how I lost 80lbs and reached my goal weight. Now I've kept it off 2 years 7 months by staying AT my maintenance calorie limit.

All the rest about "diet" is personal preference.

As you get closer to goal, accuracy in logging takes a very important part, and the longer you've been in a deficit, the more important it is to have maintenance breaks, but you've got the most important part spot on.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Yup! Along the way I started paying more attention to protein and iron, and keeping desserts to 200 calories, but that's been experimentation to find out what's the easiest way to stick to it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    yx6r4zbqikhj.png

I think the point the OP is making is, that if you're over your calorie limit then none of those diets work, and counting calories correctly is a good way of taking the guesswork out of "dieting".

None of those diets automatically create a calorie deficit just by eating that way.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    So far I'm down about 200lbs by just eating less. Over time I've developed healthier eating habits, but never felt deprived because I never gave up any foods. Much less stressful.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Pretty much yes. That's how my weight loss has progressed.

I have my overall goals, but my true goals are to be in deficit. Most days I make it, occasionally I'm a little bit over, but week on week I'm always at a deficit, even if it is only 200kcals for the week. And the weight is slowly coming off. Some weeks significantly less than others, but it's coming off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Has anybody lost weight by just setting one goal: eating less calories then you burn?

Isn't that the essence of everyone's approach?

yes, though a lot of people don't realise it.
  • krich0502
    krich0502 Posts: 63 Member
    When I stopped drinking soda only, I lost about 15lbs, and I hadn’t made any other changes to my diet. I wasn’t even counting calories back then.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Yes, that is exactly what I did. Just day after day of making sure I was in a caloric deficit. Not magic, not glamorous but it works! It’s definitely slow but in the long run it’s the best way, in my opinion. I’m down 43 pounds since January.
  • arcadiasailor
    arcadiasailor Posts: 6 Member
    krich0502 wrote: »
    When I stopped drinking soda only, I lost about 15lbs, and I hadn’t made any other changes to my diet. I wasn’t even counting calories back then.

That was a big part of when I lost weight in my 20s. The look how many calories I’m consuming with soda and iced tea. I also stopped eating fast food and brought lunch.

It came back over the time but I had to really log and hop on the stationary bike because I can’t move around at work.

I shudder to think how worse I be if I still drank full cal soda and Snapple all the time.

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    Pretty much yes. That's how my weight loss has progressed.

I have my overall goals, but my true goals are to be in deficit. Most days I make it, occasionally I'm a little bit over, but week on week I'm always at a deficit, even if it is only 200kcals for the week. And the weight is slowly coming off. Some weeks significantly less than others, but it's coming off.

Exactly this! ^
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Caralarma wrote: »
    The only thing I don't agree with is the forcing food part. It is fine to eat a little bit less sometimes

I agree with you! I often see people on these forums talking about forcing themselves to eat more if they are under their goal and I dont get it. I mean yes you should aim for your calorie goal but if you happen to be under it, why not see that as a bonus? I do it all the time and it also allows me to eat more on other days where I do happen to be hungrier

I agree with this- the annoying part though is that MFP won't let you log a day that they consider is "too low" and then it won't count towards my overall weekly totals (which is how I track). Is there a way around this?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    The only thing I don't agree with is the forcing food part. It is fine to eat a little bit less sometimes

I agree with you! I often see people on these forums talking about forcing themselves to eat more if they are under their goal and I dont get it. I mean yes you should aim for your calorie goal but if you happen to be under it, why not see that as a bonus? I do it all the time and it also allows me to eat more on other days where I do happen to be hungrier

I agree with this- the annoying part though is that MFP won't let you log a day that they consider is "too low" and then it won't count towards my overall weekly totals (which is how I track). Is there a way around this?

it logs it, it just doesn't do a notification on your feed.