Opinions On BMI

Options
y2k0
y2k0 Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I wanted to know what everyone's opinions are on BMI.

Between 2014 & 2016, I lost 150+ lbs. At 5'7", I was 128 lbs. My BMI was 20.0, a "normal" BMI. I developed anemia (had to get on an iron supplement), my fingertips were often blue, and I was always exhausted, despite eating 2400 calories a day, insuring that I had enough sodium, protein, healthy fats, etc. I was often told that I looked emaciated because of how thin I was and because you could see all my ribs.

Fast forward to 2018, I decided to experiment with my weight. I started lifting, gained some muscle, as well as weight, and am now up to 155 lbs. My BMI is 24.3, 25 being considered "overweight". I feel ten times better now & the anemia is gone.

I'm thinking that I must have a large frame for a woman, being that I see photos of women at 120, 130 lbs at 5'7" who don't look sickly like I did. Now, at 155, I look much better. My measurements are 32-31-40 (with me being able to still feel my ribs and my hip bones).

What are everyone's opinions on BMI? How do you guys determine what is a good weight for you???

I'm trying so hard to not focus on the number on the scale but on musculature, tone, and how I feel.

Replies

• y2k0
    Options
    Awesome! Good to know. Thanks for sharing!
  • y2k0
    Options
    Very true! Very insightful as well! I have an athletic build as well so that makes sense. Thank you!
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bmi for the vast majority of people is a good indicator.

For a few people it isn't
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. It's a range for a reason. Not everyone can go to the low end of the range and be healthy. I'm shorter than you (5'4.5") and when I was 120lbs (20.3 BMI) I was pretty thin. I don't think I looked sick, but I do think I lacked muscle mass. I'm currently 138 lbs (23.4 BMI) and wanting to cut a little body fat before trying a bulk cycle in the new year.
  • y2k0
    Options
    Kimny- Thank you for sharing! 🙏☺️ I think abiding by those other measurements sounds like an excellent plan. I’m very grateful for all the responses! Very insightful & extremely helpful!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Excellent comparison @GottaBurnEmAll. h
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Agree with most comments. BMI is pretty good for most of the population. I think ~24 is right for me and that's fit. If my chest and shoulders were less muscular, maybe 22.5 or so. I think ~20 would be getting into the unhealthy zone for me.