Has anyone gotten catfished?

Options
XO__TWOD
XO__TWOD Posts: 55 Member
edited November 2018 in Chit-Chat
It’s hard to for me to trust anyone online because years ago I got catfished. I have gotten really close to a guy online and I trusted him, we would talk every day and then one day I ended up finding out he wasn’t who he said he was. I don’t talk to him anymore because it just felt weird, but I’m still friends with his cousin till this day, she’s one of my best friends.

Replies

• competeagain2x
    competeagain2x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Idk but I’m proactive and catfish first
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    A better question for this site would be "Has anyone you've met here actually turned out to be who they say they are?"

Stop it creepy clown, you're scaring me

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    A better question for this site would be "Has anyone you've met here actually turned out to be who they say they are?"

Totally. Years ago, my sister and I did run into the Spartan set in Greater San Diego. They were who they said they were on MFP in real life; How we'd recognised them and easily ordered their coffee and donuts. It would've been like running into Will_Workout_for_Food and knowing to get him his usual - NY pizza + Coke zero ... Or if it was for breakfast - 2 Boston cream donuts.

We bought it, as they were still checking out. My sister, @777Gemma888 was checking us in.
  • XO__TWOD
    Options
    Yup.

Tell us more!! How? Lol
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    yep.

yep.
  • XO__TWOD
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »

Totally. Years ago, my sister and I did run into the Spartan set in Greater San Diego. They were who they said they were on MFP in real life; How we'd recognised them and easily ordered their coffee and donuts. It would've been like running into Will_Workout_for_Food and knowing to get him his usual - NY pizza + Coke zero ... Or if it was for breakfast - 2 Boston cream donuts.

We bought it, as they were still checking out. My sister, @777Gemma888 was checking us in.

That’s awesome! It’s so rare running into someone you’ve met online, unless you live around each other. But that’s true, I think sooner or later I’ll run into Will_Work_for_Food, since he’s right around the corner from me and I know what he loves to eat 😆.
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    There are lots of them here it would seem, there are several threads. The more active folks that post a lot of pictures I feel you can usually trust.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yup... its why i gave up online dating apps. But to be fair in real life i don't seem to get any looks anyways. Lol -secretly crying inside-
  • k8eekins
    edited November 2018
    Options
    XO__TWOD wrote: »
    k8eekins wrote: »

That’s awesome! It’s so rare running into someone you’ve met online, unless you live around each other. But that’s true, I think sooner or later I’ll run into Will_Work_for_Food, since he’s right around the corner from me and I know what he loves to eat 😆.

We were recommended this site by distant relatives/family friends of Los Angeles in 2012, who'd use this site as a group, monitoring their losses. They're a CalTech set. They'd been here for years. One even met her husband here. It's pretty normal to run into an MFPer within the CalTech Campus or the Club - Athenaeum. They don't fraternise with members, only each other or they use it purely individually, for weight loss management. The ones I'd consider applicable here, are Board regulars.

The Spartan MFPers we ran into are ETPers now (ie "Eat, Train, Progress" or "Eat, Train, Powerlift.")

Running into Lee will be fun, knowing you'll be having fun-eats minimum lol Lucky you to be so close!
  • Vikka_V
    edited November 2018
    Options
    To answer your question, no - so far, everyone I've met online I have no reason to think they are anything other than what they present themselves to be.

Beware of the people you meet in person tho, the most dangerous and harmful peope I've met were in person.
  • XO__TWOD
    Options
    Yup... its why i gave up online dating apps. But to be fair in real life i don't seem to get any looks anyways. Lol -secretly crying inside-

You know what’s worse than getting catfished. Meeting the person online, in person and they look nothing like they present themselves to be online. So sometimes it’s a good thing the online dating apps don’t work for you lol. Even if you don’t get any looks your way, you should def go after what you want. If you see someone you like in person, just go for it. If they shoot you down, then by all means you can secretly cry inside.

• k8eekins
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »
    There are lots of them here it would seem, there are several threads. The more active folks that post a lot of pictures I feel you can usually trust.

Agree, for they are transparent, sharing themselves and/or their lives. The selfies threads, the by the decade(s) photo comp threads, the Fun & Games topics like the Photo Hunt Game or the Recipes section rolling accountability topics, where members photo log their cooking or meal servings.
  • ailsalw
    ailsalw Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Not catfished so much as found out he was actually married
  • george5911
    Options
    ailsalw wrote: »

Oh yes. So much this.

My spouse and I are roomates
    We're seperated but still live together
    He's old and unintrested (she could be too, I just haven't heard this)

Just keep in mind what you came here for and temper your expectations around that.

Also, I'm a multi billionaire Sudanese prince with my own leer jet and a fleet of luxury cars, now where is my FR?
  • george5911
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »
    ailsalw wrote: »

Just keep in mind what you came here for and temper your expectations around that.

This. So much this.

That is why you luv me.

And this.

vfuphf7jw210.gif
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Yes! But it wasn't a romantic thing, we had both been members of a group on here for a few years at the time. I had to travel to her city for work so we met for dinner.

I've never been catfished (to my knowledge anyway) but I'm old so haven't spent as much of my life online as some folks, and I'm naturally pretty wary.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I've also never been catfished, never received propositioning PMs or any of that kinda stuff that seem to really injure people on this site emotionally.

I also have never posted a photo of myself and never will. Sorry, but people who don't post photos do not get catfished or sexually harrassed here.

• george5911
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Wrong avatar

dbk9t96z51uc.gif
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    i think “catfish” being someone who pretends to be an entirely different person usually bc they trying to get something from u (info or $$)

then theyre trolls who just *kitten* around with trying out different bodies and skins and voices because idk why

anyways never encountered catfish on this site

Agree with your definition