Recomp Meal Prep Ideas

Options
bling_7
bling_7 Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Trying to stay focused and we all know that eating is everything. Please share your ideas here... I am personally trying to maintain while lowering fat so currently I am eating 2000 calories a day. 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats. Look forward to hearing your success stories and ideas for meal prep. Thanks...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why so much protein?
  • bling_7
    Options
    Great question. I am trying to burn fat as my body fat % is over 20% I am trying to get in under 15%. I am currently following the P90X fat shreader plan. I have been doing it for 5 weeks. I have also been following the body beast routine from beach body but I do not want to bulk up. I have lost only two lbs in five weeks but I am losing inches off my waist. It is working great so far. I am new to this so following a plan helps me and the P90X fat sheadder plan is great. Easy to track my macros on MFP as well...
    Why so much protein?

• TavistockToad
    Options
    bling_7 wrote: »
    Great question. I am trying to burn fat as my body fat % is over 20% I am trying to get in under 15%. I am currently following the P90X fat shreader plan. I have been doing it for 5 weeks. I have also been following the body beast routine from beach body but I do not want to bulk up. I have lost only two lbs in five weeks but I am losing inches off my waist. It is working great so far. I am new to this so following a plan helps me and the P90X fat sheadder plan is great. Easy to track my macros on MFP as well...
    Why so much protein?

Excess protein doesn't burn fat.
  • bling_7
    Options
    Why so much protein?

I have read many articles that say quite the contrary. It has been working for me so far. Your body does not digest protein as fast. Look up the P90X fat shredder plan.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Why so much protein?

I have read many articles that say quite the contrary. It has been working for me so far. Your body does not digest protein as fast. Look up the P90X fat shredder plan.

And that's the only thing that's causing it, not the calorie deficit or (hopefully) a progressive overload lifting plan...?
  • bling_7
    Options
    Why so much protein?

And that's the only thing that's causing it, not the calorie deficit or (hopefully) a progressive overload lifting plan...?

Oh I understand now. Yea if you read the first post I am doing the Body Beast weight lifting program. They have a lean program and a bulk program. The bulk program the Macros and calories are different. Much more carbs with the bulk routine. I lost 42 lbs over the last year and a half and now I am trying to maintain and build lean muscle while lowering my BF%
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Why so much protein?

Oh I understand now. Yea if you read the first post I am doing the Body Beast weight lifting program. They have a lean program and a bulk program. The bulk program the Macros and calories are different. Much more carbs with the bulk routine. I lost 42 lbs over the last year and a half and now I am trying to maintain and build lean muscle while lowering my BF%

I understand that, my comment was that you don't need to eat that much protein, that's all. Excess protein doesn't do anything magic to your fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Recomp Meal Prep Ideas = eat the food you enjoy in the appropriate quantities.

Your protein needs are lower at maintenance than when losing weight. Unless you are 250lbs then 50% is far more than you need and if you are maintaining weight on 2000cals you must be much smaller than that and not very active. Protein has a slightly higher TEF but it's not that significant to make you eat a really peculiar diet.

No eating isn't everything - a perfect diet and poor training will get you nowhere.
  • bling_7
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Your protein needs are lower at maintenance than when losing weight. Unless you are 250lbs then 50% is far more than you need and if you are maintaining weight on 2000cals you must be much smaller than that and not very active. Protein has a slightly higher TEF but it's not that significant to make you eat a really peculiar diet.

No eating isn't everything - a perfect diet and poor training will get you nowhere.

I appreciate the comment. I am working hard, hitting the weights 6 days a week and so yea I agree maybe eating is not “everything” but for me at least in the past I lost 42 lbs while working out all the time and did not focus as much as I should have on eating the right foods. I am now at a weight where I want to maintain but lower body fat %. I am following the meal plan and it suggests 50% p 30% c and 20% f... so I am a little confused as I do not claim to be an “expert”, merely following the plan recommended with the weight training program I am following, (body beast). So I guess my question is why the recommendation for 50% p 30% c and 20% f you know what I mean?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I appreciate the comment. I am working hard, hitting the weights 6 days a week and so yea I agree maybe eating is not “everything” but for me at least in the past I lost 42 lbs while working out all the time and did not focus as much as I should have on eating the right foods. I am now at a weight where I want to maintain but lower body fat %. I am following the meal plan and it suggests 50% p 30% c and 20% f... so I am a little confused as I do not claim to be an “expert”, merely following the plan recommended with the weight training program I am following, (body beast). So I guess my question is why the recommendation for 50% p 30% c and 20% f you know what I mean?
    There really aren't "the right foods" to gain muscle.
    I have simply no idea why anyone would set 50% of protein as a weight maintenance guideline unless they were trying to sell protein supplements. Do BB sell protein supplements by any chance? ;)
    If you were on a very low calorie allowance while cutting/losing weight then maybe.

Think you will get a lot out of reading this....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

When you recomp while maintaining weight the rate at which your BF% goes down is the rate at which you gain muscle and that's driven by your training and not your protein intake.

• bling_7
    Options

There really aren't "the right foods" to gain muscle.
    I have simply no idea why anyone would set 50% of protein as a weight maintenance guideline unless they were trying to sell protein supplements. Do BB sell protein supplements by any chance? ;)
    If you were on a very low calorie allowance while cutting/losing weight then maybe.

Think you will get a lot out of reading this....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

When you recomp while maintaining weight the rate at which your BF% goes down is the rate at which you gain muscle and that's driven by your training and not your protein intake.

Thanks https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/usercard/27827333 I will take a look at the link. I appreciate it...
  • aqsamqureshi2
    aqsamqureshi2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why so much protein?
    Why so much protein?

I am here for the exactly same goal. And a trainer at gym advised almost the same kind of diet to adopt. Since, I recently started I am currently stumbling here and there just to figure out what to eat and what not. Bulking up is not my goal as well and just want to get into a slim lean shape by cutting down fat%. I will appreciate any advice/tips. GoodbLuck