Is it harder to start being active at 50?

I have been fighting my weight all my life. In my 30s I hit a sweet spot of healthy eating and exercising for a few years.

The weight and bad habits creeped back and here I am still struggling with weight as I’m about to enter my 50s.

I’m exercising again and am finding it difficult to keep up with my 10-years-younger sister. I’ve been working out with a trainer for 1 year now and I get more sore and hurt myself more easily (pull muscles, delicate knee). Then there’s the pre-menopause symptoms 😒

Does my “aging” body have ANYTHING to do with finding exercising harder? Or is it just a matter of losing weight so I can be more agile? I know I’m not “old” to some, and I’ve read many posts of older people being super fit. I guess my question is more, is it harder to START at this age?

What are your thoughts? (No mean responses please)

Replies

• Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes and no.
    I can still do everything I've ever done, exercise-wise, I've just had to modify some things to accommodate my aging corpse.
    Running and lifting programs tend to be aimed at a younger set; people our age won't be able to progress as fast as they call for.
    Slow down, take smaller steps, and take more recovery time.

Edit: I'm 61, started working out at 42.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    Maybe you need a need trainer? What kinda qualifications and experience does this person have.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    50 + and my biggest problem is that I can get an injury very easy now. On the other hand my older sister 60+ has done four full ironmans. Her husband and two daughters have done them with her too. Her favorite part is when a young guy with a $10,000 bike asked this gray haired sister of mine if she finished and it yes. She asks about him and he reluctantly admits he got pulled on the bike portion. I think you are only as old as you want to be.
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    OP - I have a similar story in terms of having gotten fit for a few sweet spots of 5 years at a time in my late 20s and 30s but now at 44 find myself as overweight as I have ever been. The big difference for me now (and I love working out) is that my body can no longer seem to tolerate my weight and exercising like it did in my 20s and 30s. Some days even a 30 min walk stirs up my plantar fascititis (both feet). And I have various other knee and hip issues.

I have reached the conclusion that I need to use diet to lose a good 10 or 20 kgs whilst doing a modified weights program before trying to do more impactful exercises, which are the ones I prefer. I hope that that will help by taking the load off my joints and feet. I have also found a trainer who has been through this process herself and is 50 ish and I train by myself or by myself with her so that I am not comparing myself with anyone else (I already have an internal dialogue that berates myself for letting my weight get out of hand and the damage it has done to my body).

I agree with working out in a way that challenges you but also taking it at a pace that doesn't cause injuries, It just take a little longer than we want.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Agree with the comments about recovery taking longer as we age.

As far as "being harder to start", I don't think so. For me, it was a matter of finally making a decision at 54 years old that I was going to change, then following through on that decision every day. As I lost weight and began a regular exercise program, the process got easier and exercise became a habit. During that time, I rekindled my interest in running and moved into triathlon.

Over the last 5 years, endurance training has become an important part of my social life as well as a healthy habit. I've been lucky enough to travel with my triathlon friends to participate in quite a few races around North America. This past summer's biggest trip was a "racing vacation" to Quebec to compete in Ironman Mont Tremblant. We had 12 participant among our group and every one finished the race.

I'll turn 61 this month and plan to start training for a second full distance Ironman race in January.

Finally, if you want some inspiration, just check out the participant list at any IM 70.3 or 140.6 race and notice the many competitors in the 65-69, 70-74, and even older age groups.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Our bodies are typically fully developed physically when we hit 20. Most athletes will peak in their mid 20's and there will be gradual deterioration after this. This, however, does not mean that you can not continue to be fit and healthy into old age, or can not become fitter if we are sedentary. It just means that it may not be quite as easy as it was when we were younger. In my case, I am fitter in my 40's than I ever was as a teen.

There are many in their old age that can achieve amazing things and I love seeing those in their 60's and above out jogging, rowing, swimming, cycling etc. They are inspiring (and I am a tad jealous because I know injury means I will never run).