Hitting Bottom, the beginning of change.

Options
dwburman95
dwburman95 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2018 in Motivation and Support
Me in 1995
03k5ukseg89c.jpeg

Me in 2018.
nxoxmqqfw4l4.jpeg

32 years of undisciplined living took me from looking buffed to stuffed. How did I get fat? One bite at a time. Scientifically yet simply put, I consumed more calories then I burned. My doctor always told me that I should eat less and exercise more. Yeah yeah yeah, anyway… how’s your golf game?
I love to cook. I do it competitively… and win. I got fat (morbidly obese is the Doc’s term) by enjoying truly amazing food. Most of it would even be considered healthy. What was unhealthy was the quantity that I was consuming it in, immediately followed by a few laps around the living room in my recliner. It’s not like I was out of control, it was only gaining 6 pounds a year, that works out to 8oz per month or 1/4 oz per day. 2 Hersheys kisses weigh 1/3 of an ounce. It’s really easy for it to not look like a problem. Every now and then I would have “a moment of clarity”. Getting winded from putting on my socks. Getting lightheaded buy walking up a flight of stairs. Not being able to enjoy one of my greatest loves, fishing, because I cannot navigate walking on river stone.
Most people will get to a point where they hit bottom or become unwilling to dig any further. Seeing my wife in tears over the fact but the doctors were now willing to place estimates on my life span. Having doctors educate me on the irreversible damage that I have done to my body. Actually getting to see myself has morbidly obese‘s instead of big boned. I came to except the fact that I am fat because I have been living a lazy, gluttonous, and undisciplined life.
Kinde reader, don’t go blue on me! It turns out that that last paragraph was a great gift for me. It doesn’t need fixed if you don’t know it’s broke. I considered gastric bypass, wonder drugs, liposuction. The problem is that that would only be fixing the symptoms of the part of me is it’s broken. Now the adventure begins… More to come.

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Good on you for recognizing the truth and being willing to confront it head-on!
  • Babs5420
    Babs5420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Life is a journey. It’s hard to look at pictures from a lighter time. I was never buff, but I was under control during my 10 years in the military. I’ve been out for 6 years now and I am heavier than I once was. It’s time to get back under control and hopefully healthier. I got back on the wagon about a week ago. I am glad you’ve made the decision for a healither you. Good luck to both of us in this new chapter of life’s journey!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • relli399
    relli399 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best brother. Get your mind right and the rest will follow. I was 403 lbs at the end of August. Today I am 360 lbs. So I know where you are coming from. It is easy to let thing get in your way of a healthy lifestyle. I made ever excuse in the book why I can't eat right and exercise. It took for me also to hit my bottom. So I trained my mind on what's right and what's wrong. And if has been working for me. Because you know people our size can lose 30 lbs easy. But if you don't train your mind on what you need to do. That 30 lbs will come right back with more weight. So my advice is to stay focused. Take baby steps to train your mind on what you need to do and what works for you. And the weight will come off and you will feel so much better. Good luck on your journey my friend. You are at the right place to give you all the help and motivation you need.
  • StarBright147
    StarBright147 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I look forward to reading more about your journey.
  • CoffeeInTheMtns
    CoffeeInTheMtns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I cant wait to see more!

• snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Everyone here is rooting for you and will support you! Please keep posting updates.
  • Marg672
    Marg672 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You have a great attitude too and that means a lot
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great attitude!!!!!