CrossFit Newbie

Interested in connecting with CrossFit fans. Started this week and would love to know how you manage your food after a workout. I’m easing in with a four week coached sessions at my Gym before hitting classes full on.

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Hi! I am a fellow crossfitter, been doing it consistently the last 9 month after unintentionally taking a couple years off when I got pregnant. As far as managing food after class, I go to an evening class so I just eat my regular dinner after. You are welcome to add me if you would like!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I think it depends on your goals. When I first started I went straight into "I must bulk to get strong" and it stressed me out so much. I decided to maintain/recomp instead, and slowly increase my calories into the winter (when I'm hoping sweaters will make bulking less upsetting, I know it's silly logic. I know...). What are your goals? Are you hoping to lose weight, gain, or recomp?

My workouts are at 6am, so I eat a handful of PB pretzels and take in some caffeine before the workout, then eat breakfast once I get to work. I've found my workouts suffer if I don't consume something before the workout, but I know some of the people I workout with prefer to do so on an empty stomach. My breakfast is usually a protein bar 30-40 minutes after I complete the WOD, but that's mostly because I'm lazy with breakfast. I meal prep the other meals.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    I do my crossfit on weekday mornings before work so my schedule goes like this: protein shake, crossfit, yoga, breakfast, head to work, lunch, walk the dog, head home, snack, walk the dog, dinner, snack before bed if I have calories left, bedtime, rinse and repeat. Weekends are the same except no crossfit or yoga and longer dog walks to make up for that.
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    I do crossfit at 5 am during the work week. I usually eat a banana on my way to workout and a protein shake on the way home, quickly followed by coffee. After I get ready for work and my kids on their bus, I eat breakfast.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    I also CrossFit! I typically go to evening classes (7:30 pm), so I eat dinner about an hour before the workout (I know a lot of people don't like eating that close to workouts though). After the workout I will typically have a greek yogurt or banana. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Feel free to add me. I'm still fairly new at Crossfit and I'm loving it. My eating hasn't changed, I still log everything to ensure my meals are balanced and my hydration is up.
  • Wobbleberryholz
    Wobbleberryholz Posts: 2 Member
    I have been doing Crossfit too recently and i love it :) new to food tracking but een to combine the two. Had a month off tarining due to injury and i feel i have undone all my hard work :) I would love to do this journy with people and myy support network at home is more or less non existant
  • sjb11973
    sjb11973 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I’ve been crossfiting 18 months now. I have a programme from a coach that I do after work about 4.30-6.30pm 5 days a week. I have reshaped my body and have increased my strength and endurance beyond what I believed capable! Food wise I meal prep on a Sunday for the week, 4 meals per day, 3 before training and 1 after, Which works for me and my body. Took time to work out what to eat and when, no fads etc, real food, balanced and portioned well.

Speak to your coach, they will help and support you in your goals. Enjoy!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I Crossfit at lunch. I eat before (so I don't pass out) and sometimes have a protein bar after.
  • jenniday1229
    jenniday1229 Posts: 27 Member
    I've been doing crossfit for 6 months, 4/week for about the past 3 months . I go to a noon class so I've found eating a good breakfast with fat and protein and then a small snack with some carbs (usually fruit) about an hour before class is key. After class I'm tired and don't want to eat right away so I usually shower, get back to my desk, and either have a protein shake or snack on hummus and veggies through the afternoon. Like previous poster said, it takes some trial and error to see what works for you and your body.

Good luck! I'm down 38lb and feeling strong. At 41 I was convinced I would never like working out, but I was wrong!