Choosing a 24 hour gym: Planet Fitness, Anytime Fitness, SNAP, other?

Options
I just graduated and am finally looking at joining a gym. I have never had a membership anywhere because it was always included at my university. I’m really looking for something basic that has 24 hours or long hours as I work a 9-5 and realistically want a place open in the evenings. I want something with basic cardio and lifting equipment (I’m pretty limited as I’m recovering from surgery and getting back into shape) and the ability to use multiple locations would be nice. Showers are always a plus too!

I’m looking particularly at Snap, Planet Fitness, and Anytime as there are several locations by me so I have ones near home and work and in between. Anyone have any experiences good or bad or advice on how to pick one?

Also, would it be better to wait closer to new year’s as there may be some new membership specials? I do have a treadmill at home so I am ok with waiting for a better membership deal.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    fish9283 wrote: »
    You should check each place at the time you expect to use them, like after work.

Are they over crowded?

Are the locker rooms clean?

Is there parking available?

Are the people at the front desk friendly?

Is the equipment well maintained or are there out-of-order signs on them?

Do you feel comfortable at all of the different locations?

Choose the gym that will make you want to keep going there.

Thank you! I ended up scoping out a few and think I made my decision, but want to go back around when I would normally go to see how crowded it is!

I wasn’t sure if people had specific opinions on any of the gyms, but I’ve done a bit of research now and it seriously varies!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I like PF, but the specific location was a huge part of it. If lifting means machines rather than free weights, they are a good choice. They do have lightweight free weights and heavy barbells in a Smith's machine. Ton's of cardio equipment, locker rooms with showers. At the ~20 a month level you can got to multiple gyms and bring a guest as often as you like. At the ~ $10 level, which I have, it's one location, no guests and no access to massage chairs, hydro massage and tanning beds. I am happy with it, but I go really early so I rarely see much of a crowd.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    fish9283 wrote: »
    You should check each place at the time you expect to use them, like after work.

Are they over crowded?

Are the locker rooms clean?

Is there parking available?

Are the people at the front desk friendly?

Is the equipment well maintained or are there out-of-order signs on them?

Do you feel comfortable at all of the different locations?

Choose the gym that will make you want to keep going there.

Thank you! I ended up scoping out a few and think I made my decision, but want to go back around when I would normally go to see how crowded it is!

I wasn’t sure if people had specific opinions on any of the gyms, but I’ve done a bit of research now and it seriously varies!

Droping by at your normal workout time is a good idea. I joined PF last year (cheap & close to my office) to use their treadmills during extra nasty winter weather and use their showers when biking to work on really hot summer days. It's very busy right after work, getting a locker has been more of a problem than equipment. This a fairly new location so all of the equipment is still shiny and new......time will tell how they maintain it.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. I signed up because it was cheap and I'm a student. I liked that it was 24 hours because working in a lab means finishing the day at various times. I'm in a small college town so it might be different if you live in a bigger city, but even so my gym can get crowded at peak hours (rush hour, after work). Going at 6am was never a problem-the gym was almost always empty.

Like other posters have said, finding a locker is usually more of a problem than getting on equipment-especially treadmills as my gym has so many of them.

What I like about Planet fitness, at least my location, as it's always kept up well: the equipment is very clean, the locker room is clean, no weird smells (like that chronically damp smell or worse). I workout in the mornings typically and the employees are usually doing their rounds wiping down equipment etc.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All of those you mention would be good. You can check them out and see which one you are more comfortable with. . Fish had some good points and location is usually a key.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I used Anytime Fitness, specifically due to its location (close to son's sports). It had everything I needed, and there were other convenient locations I could use. I've used a SNAP when on vacation, just a week pass. It was comparable to my Anytime at home. Never tried PF, there aren't any local to me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I used Anytime Fitness, specifically due to its location (close to son's sports). It had everything I needed, and there were other convenient locations I could use. I've used a SNAP when on vacation, just a week pass. It was comparable to my Anytime at home. Never tried PF, there aren't any local to me.

Ditto. No PF in town and the Anytime is right next to work.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I did Planet Fitness and it's not my thing. I just wanted more. But it can be pretty nice to have the extra hours to burn it if you do have that kind of schedule.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I had SNAP a while back but only because it was a block from my house. Its hard to made excuses not to go when it's less than a 5 min walk from home. It's a lot more expensive than other gyms in my area though.
  • obx4i
    obx4i Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m a member of Anytime. At my gym I have nothing but positive things. It’s clean clean clean , safe , secure
    Place late at night. and office staff very friendly. The equipment is up to date and place is always at a comfortable temp.