Is it harder to start being active at 50?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendation for a detox to jump start weight loss. Im 48 and started off good, lost 50 lbs, then went away, came back and gained 25 lbs back. Couldn;t get back into it. So need to jump start again. Any advice on what you want have used?

As other people have said, detoxes are a scam.

If you feel like you need to do something to "jump start" your new commitment, browse for healthy recipes and bookmark them or collect them on pinterest (sites like skinnytaste are popular), , commit to trying a new ingredient each week, make a list of short term incremental goals that you can reach in small steps so that you can find satisfaction in reaching them as you progress.

If you feel like buying something, maybe you can purchase some new containers for meal prep. Buy a food scale.

If you have food in the house that you find it difficult to moderate, clear it out.

Read the forum stickies and educate yourself on how this whole thing works.

All of this is a much better way to jump start weight loss.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    As others have indicated, recovery takes longer, so if you overdo it, you are out longer until you can get back at it.

You have to be more patient at over 50, because the setbacks require a longer comeback.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Our bodies are typically fully developed physically when we hit 20. Most athletes will peak in their mid 20's and there will be gradual deterioration after this. This, however, does not mean that you can not continue to be fit and healthy into old age, or can not become fitter if we are sedentary. It just means that it may not be quite as easy as it was when we were younger. In my case, I am fitter in my 40's than I ever was as a teen.

There are many in their old age that can achieve amazing things and I love seeing those in their 60's and above out jogging, rowing, swimming, cycling etc. They are inspiring (and I am a tad jealous because I know injury means I will never run).

That was an excuse I used the last time I got healthy and then let myself go again.

Shortly after my 54th birthday, I was disgusted with myself when I had to stop at the top of two flights of stairs to catch my breath. I was overweight and out of shape and decided to work on it. I decided to start dieting with the plan of losing "55 by 55", meaning I would lose 55 pounds, from 230 to 175, by my 55th birthday.

My birthday is late December, so the 55 by 55 was a New Year's resolution; those usually fail pretty quickly. Mine didn't. I did C25K thinking running a little would get me in better shape. I ran a 5k in April and by that point was starting to actually enjoy getting out and jogging a couple of miles a couple of times a week. Really enjoying it. I stepped it up and up. In October of that year I ran a half marathon in 2:08:25 , which is a respectable time for a mid 50s casual athlete. I was in the low 170s for my birthday, but most of the time weighed in the low 180s, which is a BMI of around 28. Still, I felt pretty good about where I was at and figured I would be one of those reasonably healthy old guys you see out running.

Early the next year I started pulling up lame after about 5 miles. I backed off on distances but it just became 4 miles, then 3, then 2... In the spring I ended up with one knee scoped and the other a candidate for it. The doctor told me that running was a really bad idea for me from then out. My joints really can't take it. My meniscus was torn in a few places and my patella was frayed. It wasn't from abuse; they just weren't up to heavy use and never will be.

I got out of shape and overweight again until last year when I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and work within the limitations. I paddle a lot now. With proper form that's mostly core and involves some of the largest muscles around the shoulder without much stress on the joint. Standing up, moving around on the board and balancing does involve the legs but with about the lowest impact possible. At the gym, I could use exercises from PT and I got with a trainer and had him help me find what worked within the limitations so I have been able to get in even better shape and stayed below 160 for several months so far.

A lot of it is attitude.

Having repairable injuries is so limiting. You just have to find what your body will allow you to do and what you enjoy doing to maintain a decent level of fitness. I do find it very hard accepting my limitations at times though because I would really love to be able to run.

This is me. It's not injury, it's my arthritis. I never was great shakes as a runner and never aspired to be one, but it made me happy to be a slow plodding runner. But man, the toll on my joints.

I have plenty of time in my day to do a lot of brisk walking, though. That will do. And I can still lift weights. I just can't go too heavy, and that's okay as well.

I am thinking of starting to do yoga to work on stability, because I really have none.

Mine is sort of a combination of arthritis and injuries. I beat up the little bit of little bit of protection between bone on bone pretty badly in spots, tore muscles and ligaments and exacerbated some inflammation at times when I pushed through pain (being a "tough guy" is severely overrated).

I am trying not to do it anymore but I have to admit I am only partially successful. I have an ortho appointment in the morning for shoulder pain that occurs while I pass through particular part of my range of motion and I have been trying to strengthen it and rehab for longer than I probably should have without seeing someone. I suspect it is a tear from past experience with them. Probably not a bad one as I have been able to get stronger, it isn't much worse (but a little worse) when it's loaded and there is little to no inflammation at the site. My other shoulder was scoped and there was a laundry list of stuff going on; a couple of tears that required stitching up, bone spurs, shaving off some of the end of a shoulder bone to reduce grinding and cleaning up a bunch of loose matter. He took a picture of arthritis while he was in there (looks like chalk marks on the bones).

Not being able to run is annoying. I use the ARCTrainer at the gym as long sessions on the treadmill are too hard on me and most Nordic style machines don't work me as hard as I like my cardio to. The ARCTrainer is Nordic inspired IMO but does have settings to work you harder. Last night I did 2 hours on it watching a downloaded movie and moved a little slowly this morning.

I would really like to be out on the back roads running and training toward a goal like a half marathon. I might do one paddling instead; definitely going to do some 10k races next spring, barring really bad news in the morning (though even if it is scoped, I might rehab enough to do 5k paddles by spring).

Doc suspects tear also and I have to get an MRI. :neutral: They did an X Ray and he said there are cysts on the bone (not a scary kind) that can contribute to pain; muscles slide across smooth bones better. But is possible that just PT and/or putting up with it for now is an option. A shot was not an option; they help problems in the joint but can make tears worse. If it turns out to be a tear that needs to be repaired ASAP, he couldn't do it for 3-6 moths after a cortisone shot. Still not convinced I can't fix this with a positive attitude. :smiley:
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am 50. I started CrossFit at the age of 49. CrossFit is funcitonal fitness. Nobody, not even a young person walks into a crossfit gym able to do everything in the program. However, there are modifications for different levels of fitness. I went from a 14 or 16 to an 8 or a ten. because of an increase of activity I eat more calories, more protein than most diets. Find something you and enjoy and do that. It is that simple. When I am enrolled in a competition I go 4 or five times a week. When I am not three. If life is really busy I many only get to two sessions.
    I can now squat 200 pounds and deadlift about the same. I can clean and press 110#. I am in better shape than I was in my 20's.
    It is never too late. You are never too old. Find something you love.
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Maybe you need a need trainer? What kinda qualifications and experience does this person have.

This has crossed my mind. I have a really got connection with him. He’s sweet but tough at the same time. He noticed a few months ago how I was suffering more and took longer to recover so he has since then adapted my workouts compared to my sister. I’ve also asked him to not give us any CrossFit workouts (he made us do this after 6 months of training with him) until I lose the extra weight. I liked it but my body didn’t...so he’s changing things up!

Awesome info you are all sharing! Thanks 🙏

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    naonah wrote: »
    I have been fighting my weight all my life. In my 30s I hit a sweet spot of healthy eating and exercising for a few years.

The weight and bad habits creeped back and here I am still struggling with weight as I’m about to enter my 50s.

I’m exercising again and am finding it difficult to keep up with my 10-years-younger sister. I’ve been working out with a trainer for 1 year now and I get more sore and hurt myself more easily (pull muscles, delicate knee). Then there’s the pre-menopause symptoms 😒

Does my “aging” body have ANYTHING to do with finding exercising harder? Or is it just a matter of losing weight so I can be more agile? I know I’m not “old” to some, and I’ve read many posts of older people being super fit. I guess my question is more, is it harder to START at this age?

What are your thoughts? (No mean responses please)

My mom started lifting weights in her late 70s ;)

What specifically are your pre-menopause symptoms? I'm almost 52, have very heavy bleeding due to large uterine fibroids, so have to keep a close eye on my anemia to keep my energy levels up.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I did want to add something to my earlier post. I had never exercised in my life until I was 52. I was walking with a cane at the time, and it was one of the reasons I started exercising. One day, I just saw the years ahead as me being increasingly less mobile and couldn't fathom it. Something had to give.

So for me, it was harder to start and it was very slow and gradual because I was already dealing with arthritis. My arthritis and exertion induced migraines are also why I need to keep things on the somewhat moderate level. Saying that, for a while there, I was running every day!

Someone who is healthy in body might have a different experience exercising after 50.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    Someone who is healthy in body might have a different experience exercising after 50.

OTOH, already facing challenges was a big motivator for me. They didn't seem insurmountable yet and could maybe even be mitigated to some degree, but I was and am convinced that would not remain true if I didn't do something to get in better shape. So while it was physically a little more difficult, it was mentally easier in an odd way. I don't have to sell myself on it daily. The mental/emotional decision that made me want to bust through walls instead of giving up when I hit them might be the single most important thing that was different this time.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

OTOH, already facing challenges was a big motivator for me. They didn't seem insurmountable yet and could maybe even be mitigated to some degree, but I was and am convinced that would not remain true if I didn't do something to get in better shape. So while it was physically a little more difficult, it was mentally easier in an odd way. I don't have to sell myself on it daily. The mental/emotional decision that made me want to bust through walls instead of giving up when I hit them might be the single most important thing that was different this time.

Definitely same here. It was mentally much easier for me at this age to start exercising and keep going, but also being in an era where a gradual approach is looked at as viable helped.

My fitness attempts when I was younger were all doomed to failure when I was younger because back in the 80's, the mentality towards exercise and how you had to approach it was different.

• CarvedTones
    Options

Definitely same here. It was mentally much easier for me at this age to start exercising and keep going, but also being in an era where a gradual approach is looked at as viable helped.

My fitness attempts when I was younger were all doomed to failure when I was younger because back in the 80's, the mentality towards exercise and how you had to approach it was different.

I did enjoy a few activities that gave me a little exercise here and there, so through most of middle age I could do some strenuous stuff when I needed to, even if it made me sore and I needed some rest afterwards (as in hours, not days). I knew I was overweight and could have been more fit but was in reasonably good health and didn't have many signs of aging - my fingers were all straight, I had almost no wrinkles and dark hair. I saw fit people as just doing a little better than me. That gap widened.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    At 58 I listen more closely (and obey) my body. regardless of how others may judge me and I had to re train myself on how I used to judge myself so harshly. I am kinder to myself...and learning to be even kinder still.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it is easier or not, but I'm assuming it's harder past 50. Doesn't matter (to me) as I had done nothing through most of my 30's and 40's and started losing weight and exercising at 51. So now at 53 I'm in the gym 3 times a week lifting and running 25-30K a week. Not a horrid amount of exercise, but manageable and much better than what I did when I was younger.

It may be harder, but it can still be done and harder shouldn't be an excuse.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It will seem hard at first and will continue to be that way until you do it consistently and it becomes a habit. I'm close to 50 and it is no more difficult than it was in the past, but that is mostly because it is built into my lifestyle and I don't allow myself lapses. Also, good nutrition and a minimal amount of sleep are essential!
  • CarvedTones
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It will seem hard at first and will continue to be that way until you do it consistently and it becomes a habit. I'm close to 50 and it is no more difficult than it was in the past, but that is mostly because it is built into my lifestyle and I don't allow myself lapses. Also, good nutrition and a minimal amount of sleep are essential!

Minimal amount of sleep? I assume you mean more than the minimum. I think you are dead on about not having lapses. It takes a while before you aren't really fit anymore, but it doesn't take all that long before it becomes more difficult to "tap into it"; it's like you get used to not trying hard even though you still can. Then after a while, you really can't push that hard anymore. It's a slippery slope.