Food Allergies - maybe

Options
2»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Phoebe5164 wrote: »
    I’d try an over the counter allergy med. if you feel better at least you’ll know its an allergic reaction . I’m allergic to eggs, parsley, potatoes, and severely allergic to garlic and horses 🤔. An itchy throat should be taken seriously, that one step away from an anaphylactic shock for me.

Try Claritin or reactin 12 hour then you’ll know if swelling goes down 🌼

@Allie1618
    Don't take any allergy med within 5 to 7 days of your doctor's visit. If the doctor plans to test you for any allergies (usually needles-pricks) at your first visit, the use and build-up of the anti-allergies meds may cover up the reason for your problems. If in doubt of what the doctor will do at your next visit, call the office and find out.

Some doctors run blood tests firsts to determine if you have specific antibodies for an allergen before they try the needle tests, so find out what your doctor's protocol is. Sorry about your problems and I hope that you find a solution very soon.
  • Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I’m glad you found something that finally worked! I have a/c and we put the hepa filters on both of the intakes. We quit running a/c when the weather cooled but have started running just the fan. I do think it helps! The portable room filter was about $250. It is good enough to filter smoke, but I’ll need to check on the size of mold spores. Fire season sucks, can’t wait for the rain.

I cut out coffee and dairy since yesterday and the lump in the throat feeling is not as bad. Coffee bad? Say it isn’t so!
  • Allie1618
    Options
    @Gisel2015 Thanks for the advice!

The office said 5 days of no antihistamines. They can do some testing at the first appt. but not sure how extensive. Just hoping they can narrow it down :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    @Allie1618

You are welcome. My advice was based on my recent experience.

If your sinus bothers you (I do suffer from sinusitis due to a deviated septum) or if you have a running nose or feel plugged, use saline solution to rinse your nostrils. I like NeilMed or SimpleSaline. You can get them at your local pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, etc.). Follow directions in the package.

Either works well, they were recommended by my allergist and the ENT to help clear dust and pollen, and maybe in your case smoke or other spores, they are not additive, and you can use them several times a day. Ask your allergist about them when you see him/her on 11/20. I cut down considerable the use of nasal steroid by using the saline spray.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, look up "oral allergy syndrome". There are a boatload of foods that can cause mild reactions, where you're not truly allergic to that thing but to something else that has a similar protein structure. A common one is a birch allergy showing up as an oral reaction to apples or other fruit. Sometimes they can develop into a true allergy over time, unfortunately. If you can get referred for allergy testing, have them not test you just for food but also for birch, ragweed, and grasses.

Here are the common ones:

Birch pollen: apple, almond, carrot, celery, cherry, hazelnut, kiwi, peach, pear, plum
    Grass pollen: celery, melons, oranges, peaches, tomato
    Ragweed pollen: banana, cucumber, melons, sunflower seeds, zucchini
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Allie1618 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 I’m glad you found something that finally worked! I have a/c and we put the hepa filters on both of the intakes. We quit running a/c when the weather cooled but have started running just the fan. I do think it helps! The portable room filter was about $250. It is good enough to filter smoke, but I’ll need to check on the size of mold spores. Fire season sucks, can’t wait for the rain.

I cut out coffee and dairy since yesterday and the lump in the throat feeling is not as bad. Coffee bad? Say it isn’t so!

Oh, my mom can't have tea because it aggravates her "silent reflux" and she has recently discovered caffeine pills: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0DL5O2
  • Allie1618
    Options
    @KareninCanada Thanks for the advice! The symptoms do seem like OAS. And I typically eat a lot of the foods on the lists you provided. Until the past week since I’ve cut my food list down considerably trying to narrow down what the cause is.

I’m compiling a list of questions to take with me next week to the allergist. I appreciate everyone’s input!