OATMEAL --> SLUGGISH

I have eaten Old Fashion Oatmeal for breakfast for many years.
This is how I cook it: 30 grams of oatmeal in 2 cups of water. Yes, 2 cups. I let it boil and boil until it comes to the right consistency ( thick ) . This can take a while .

I also eat 3/4 cups of egg whites before the oatmeal. To the oatmeal I add salt and 14 grams of low fat mozzarella cheese. I've eaten the oatmeal this way, always. The thing is that lately I've notice that after I eat my oatmeal, I start to feel sluggish. Has this happened to any of you?

I don't want to believe that Oatmeal , being a complex carb, is raising my insulin level so high that it makes me sluggish/sleepy.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Does this happen with other carbs?
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    Does this happen with other carbs?

I don't eat that many carbs. The only source of carbs that I get are from fruits, veggies, rice cake and the oatmeal. Only on Sunday I will eat for breakfeast a Whole Wheat Light English Muffin.

• smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Warm oatmeal does make me sleepy, in a cosy, warm kind of way. But it's always done that. If this is a new development with no changes to your routine otherwise I would be looking elsewhere for the issue first.

My first thought would be if you've recently reduced your calories the night before? I find that if I wake up hungry then whatever I have for breakfast is going to make me a bit sleepy for a while. Purely anecdotal obvs.
  • cathipa
    Why not just avoid eating oatmeal?
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    I will experiment tomorrow. Probably egg whites and some veggies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

This seems like an easy way to try and determine if the oatmeal is the cause, or if it some other reason.

Try a different carb, such as rice or corn grits; that might help narrow down if it is a carb-caused issue or something else.

If other carbs produce the same reaction, look at what might be different about how/when you are sleeping and rising, or, what was eaten for dinner the night before, or, what changes in your exercise patterns might have taken place recently, or, it could be a medication change (or a need for a medication dose adjustment).

good luck to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Schila64 wrote: »
    I have eaten Old Fashion Oatmeal for breakfast for many years.
    This is how I cook it: 30 grams of oatmeal in 2 cups of water. Yes, 2 cups. I let it boil and boil until it comes to the right consistency ( thick ) . This can take a while .

I also eat 3/4 cups of egg whites before the oatmeal. To the oatmeal I add salt and 14 grams of low fat mozzarella cheese. I've eaten the oatmeal this way, always. The thing is that lately I've notice that after I eat my oatmeal, I start to feel sluggish. Has this happened to any of you?

I don't want to believe that Oatmeal , being a complex carb, is raising my insulin level so high that it makes me sluggish/sleepy.

Sure, you can develop an intolerance to a food over time.

I developed a hatred of oatmeal after having it 6 days a week for two years.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Oatmeal causes my sugar to spike too much too, if that is all I eat I get really shaky :( . Maybe you're hypoglycemic too? Interesting that you still feel sluggish even after adding the fat and protein, with me that usually does the trick... could it just be too much food at once making you tired?
    But apparently according to this thread (https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10706304/morning-oatmeal#latest) it does help you take duck face selfies so there is always that? :D ...
  • seagrava
    seagrava Posts: 7 Member
    Eat some protein with it. I can't eat oatmeal because it makes me hypoglycemic later.
  • cathipa
    seagrava wrote: »
    Eat some protein with it. I can't eat oatmeal because it makes me hypoglycemic later.

She already is ("I also eat 3/4 cups of egg whites before the oatmeal.")
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »

This seems like an easy way to try and determine if the oatmeal is the cause, or if it some other reason.

Agree. Keep calories constant and try other things.