8 Showstopping Pies for Thanksgiving

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
For you pie lovers:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692-nyt-cooking/12829306-8-showstopping-pies-for-thanksgiving

4270038795a9fbbc369bee5e9f083d3b.png

Mom said it's time I learned how to make pie crust and wants one of each.

Replies

• jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    Those look good!!! I made crust once. Decided from now on, I just buy pre-made in the refrigerator section.

Arrrrgh, I HATE fighting with pie crust, alas, here in Germany, you can't buy pre-made ... so if I want pie (and I do), I have to make it myself.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It takes a little time but my homemade piecrust is way superior to what I can buy. So I make it for special occasions. I just made "onion pie" or "pizza al cipolla" which is a specialty my mother-in-law used to make. She was from the Puglia regione in Italy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I got my pie crust recipe from my mum. It's "some" flour, "milk," "some butter you know" and "I don't know, an egg." Mix it till it's "like this."

:D sounds legit
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I used to be really good at pie crust, but haven't really been doing much baking since I got back on the weight watching thing a few years ago. Trick was keeping the butter cold.

Maybe I'll make some pie for Thanksgiving this year.

(Hi, kshama!)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I used to be really good at pie crust, but haven't really been doing much baking since I got back on the weight watching thing a few years ago. Trick was keeping the butter cold.

(Hi, kshama!)

That was exactly how I'd learnt making pies in NO ... Frozen grated butter.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options

(Hi, kshama!)

Cold butter is the trick my grandma taught me as well.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I never found pie crust hard, but pastry related things were never especially difficult for me. Make sure your ingredients are cold, I personally like to add a little vinegar (helps with rolling), do not overwork your dough. I also use butter instead of lard or shortening.

That said, I think I'm doing apple strudel for thanksgiving dessert, with homemade dough because if I can make it once, I can make it again (or I'm going to hope that's the case).
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I got my pie crust recipe from my mum. It's "some" flour, "milk," "some butter you know" and "I don't know, an egg." Mix it till it's "like this."

This sounds like how I cook.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

I have a lot of recipes like that from my Polish grandmother! One of my favorite instructions was "cook until soft to taste." Wut? Soft isn't a taste, Babcia! :lol:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yup cold butter and don't over work it.

grated? that sounds smart. never done that.

i've been cheating with premade.

the ginger pie has my interest
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Apple strudel is an interesting idea.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm making gluten free pie for Thanksgiving, but I'm using premade crusts. Trader Joe's just came out with them.

I'm sticking to something very basic, just a good apple pie.

Back in the day before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I made pretty good pie crust. I remember practicing when I was a kid and first interested in trying to make one as good as my mother's to get just the right hand at handling the dough.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My pie crust secret (along with the cold butter as mentioned) is to replace about a third of the water with vodka. I don't know why it works (expedited evaporation?) but it makes crust super flaky if that's your goal and leaves no boozy flavour.
    I use half butter, half shortening, and I always make it in a chilled bowl with the paddle attachment of my stand mixer so that my hands aren't touching it too much.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Apple strudel is an interesting idea.

It's mainly just an excuse to try making strudel dough. That and I prefer it to pie. I think that my Thanksgiving trend this year is, "bucking all of the trends". I'm pretty sure the last time I made it I used this recipe and it was successful.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »

This sounds like how I cook.

I have a lot of recipes like that from my Polish grandmother! One of my favorite instructions was "cook until soft to taste." Wut? Soft isn't a taste, Babcia! :lol:

I do look at recipes sometimes, but that freestyling way of being shown how to cook is hard to break out of. For something new, I look at the ingredients list and then just do what seems logical in my own head. I have a grounding in basic techniques and it's enough for me. I suck at baking because you actually do have to follow specific steps and I'm like "recipe, don't tell me what to do!" :D