Tracking calories on Thanksgiving day?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I don't log during the holidays either. Even if I prepare the food, which I will partially" do this year. I don't weigh anything and I don't bother to calculate know how many servings are in each meal either.

My meals are very simple and they don't involve a lot of high calories ingredients. Some family members eat low carb, and others are trying to lose some weight and that makes things easier. I don't binge or overeat and I have been under my daily allowances for a couple of week, so I hope that things balance out.

I am in maintenance so I don't worry.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I log, but just to have the data. I learn something just by quantifying the ridiculous amount of calories in a four-course meal.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I track every day. I probably will go over though.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I might track the entire day I might not. My Thanksgiving dinner, however, is very likely just going to be roasted duck, maybe brussels sprouts (probably becauses those with duck fat....), maybe yams (big maybe), homemade cranberry sauce, and probably chinese steamed buns. Dessert will probably be strudel instead of pie. Basically I'm just making a nicer meal than usual that has next to nothing to do with Thanksgiving.

If I go over I go over. I might be a little grumpy about it, but at the end of the day it's just another day.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I been cutting 100-200 calories of my daily goal this week will continue till Thanksgiving.
    I dont plan on logging, dont want to try and estimate all the recipes and dont want to bother my time with the food scale. It's one day, wont hurt me. Just going to drink plenty of water and enjoy the time with the family.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I'll track for the data (it's not difficult, as we tend to have most of the same things from year to year, and most of the things we have are family traditions that I have made myself, even if someone else made some of them this year, so I just pull them out of my saved recipes or copy them from last year).

But I don't worry about trying to stay within some calorie limit. Last year I was about 300 calories above maintenance for the day, and the before I was close to 400 calories above maintenance. I tend to go higher on Christmas, as I like cookies better than pie. Plus, there's eggnog.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'd let it go for 1 day. Enjoy your family and friends. Try to get in a long walk if you can and maybe invite the others. The next day get back on track and drink lots of water.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I actually have to work a 12-hour shift on Thanksgiving Day, so I will be eating totally normally that day. However, the following Saturday is when my fam is going to get together & I will absolutely splurge and eat whatever the F I wanna for one day.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I will probably track but enjoy myself and not worry if I go over calories for the day. Eating at maintenance or similar for one day is not going to kill anyone! Although I might not eat back my exercise calories earlier in the week so I can bank them. (We are doing Thanksgiving on the Saturday because we live abroad and don't have the long weekend.)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I will have at least a taste of everything that I like. I usually have a glass of wine on Thanksgiving & Christmas, but my husband quit drinking this year so we decided not to have any alcohol this year. I have never been a big drinker, so it’s not a problem. I will probably go over on calories, but it’s only one day as others noted. We traditionally do the nearby towns annual “Turkey Trot” 5k, so getting exercise in.
    Right back at it on Friday, doable for me.

Enjoy family, friends and food! That’s what Thanksgiving is about!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I won't be keeping tracking at all. I'll enjoy the day, eat whatever I want, then get back to it Friday.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If I did track it would only be to see how high I could or did get my calories....not to restrict myself. Gonna go crazy per usual

Yep. That^^
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Enjoy yourself. Eat all the food.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of "okay." You should expect the scale to go up the next day, and you should also know that the increase will likely be mostly water fluctuation and undigested food. It's probably not fat gain and it will come off after returning to your normal routine, but it might take a few days. As long as you're aware that this will happen, and you don't let one day of overeating turn into many days of overeating, then you're fine.

^ This. Especially since it sounds like you have been restricting carbs, a sudden increase will likely cause you to retain several lbs of water weight. It's nothing to be concerned about, and will go away by itself when you are back to normal. Just don't freak out :)
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel you can live with.
    For me, I don't plan to track it. I have sometimes tracked holiday eating after the fact out of curiosity, but I don't feel bad about the really high number or worry that I didn't weigh any of the foods I ate.
    I think if I was at a thanksgiving dinner and only ate the "healthy"/low calorie stuff I would feel really sad 😢 about all the amazing stuff I'm missing out on, especially since a lot of them are dishes I only eat around thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Good ideas and food for thought!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want to eat - in moderation - and track the calories. As someone wrote in a recent thread, "your body will definitely log the calories, you might as well too". If you go over - fine. Enjoy the holiday. Don't feel guilty.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I track every day, it's just what I do. If I found that it kept me from enjoying the holiday, I wouldn't track.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I track every day, it's just what I do. If I found that it kept me from enjoying the holiday, I wouldn't track.

To the OP: That's valid for a once-a-year holiday as well.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'll be tracking. More out of morbid curiosity than anything else. Since this is my first Thanksgiving of tracking calories, it will be interesting to know just exactly how badly I pig out. My guess is probably 4,000 cals, but we'll see.