Is it normal to feel this weak days after the flu?

Hey there, I got pretty sick last week, and so did my entire family. The doctor says it was likely the flu, and the symptoms match. I was exhausted, very weak and had to force myself to get up. We all had high fevers, intense sweating, bad cough and shivers. I also got really bad headaches and a sore throat. I felt like I had been hit by a car. But it only lasted from Tuesday to Friday for me, the fever disappeared quite fast which is shocking to me because I was really sick. I'm still coughing up gross phlegm though, the doctor said coughing could last for a while.

I started taking short walks about two days ago and it actually ended up making my cough worse again so I'm not going to venture out just yet. I just tried to do some light cardio like I always do at home but for half an hour instead of an hour and I've only done about 10 minutes, but it feels like I've been working out for hours. I'm sweating so much and I'm so tired from just 10 minutes, I usually only sweat this much from 45+ minutes. Did I start exercising too early again? Christ, I feel like I can't do anything lately. Anyone else in the same conundrum?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    It can easily take 3-4 weeks or more to recover from influenza. Did you get the vaccine?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Yes, the actual real flu can take quite awhile to recover from. Take it easy for awhile. A few weeks out of a lifetime isn't a bad thing.
  • lavapixie
    lavapixie Posts: 26 Member
    No I didn't get the vaccine, but I will make sure I will next year. And oh god, that long? Damn, I was looking forward to going back to my old routine but after the failed attempt earlier today I'm again feeling weak and sleepy. I thought it would be okay to exercise after my fever disappeared but after this I think I'll wait a little longer. I seem to be able to do other stuff like eat and cook but a little physical activity makes me feel weak.

Lots of people are getting the flu lately it seems, I haven't felt this sick for a while. Thanks for the advice everyone, I will try to take it easy, then slowly build up to taking walks and stuff. I will still try to shop for groceries and run errands occasionally but I will try to be careful and not infect anyone.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    The benefits of coughing up the gunk is that is is no longer in your lungs, where it can languish and breed bacteria.

Hopefully your doc prescribed an expectorant which is good medicine for helping to break that stuff up so your coughs can be productive.

Take this from a long time bronchitis sufferer - welcome that junk you are coughing up and eliminating from your lungs.

And what others above said - take it easy and allow time to recover. 4-6 weeks is not unreasonable.

Good luck to you!
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    The vaccine doesnt always shorten symptoms, or prevent it.

And yes, 3-4 weeks is normal.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    3-4 weeks is normal after the flu. Last time I had it, I felt like I had jet lag for a month.

Pushing yourself will just make it worse.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I had influenza last year and it took a long time to recover. My resting HR shot up to 88. While the rest of the symptoms cleared up it took about 5 weeks for my resting HR to come back down to normal (mid 60’s for me).
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Yes, if it's really the flu (many things have flu-like symptoms) then you will def feel week for a while! The flu can literally kill people, it's not just a 24 hour bug.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Definitely 3-4 weeks or so. I got the flu last year and it took at least that long-especially the cough.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Chiming in here and agreeing with everyone else. If it was definitely the flu, feeling awful usually lasts 3-4 weeks.

There's something going around that has flu-like symptoms that isn't the flu, though. My husband currently has it. He went to the doctor and was tested.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Last time I had the flu, it felt like I was never going to get back to my usual activity level. Hang in there and don't be in a rush to return to exercise. Your body needs to rest and recover.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Influenza can actually kill...suffice it to say, while the primary symptoms may subside it can take awhile to recover from. I had the flu a few years ago and the fever and whatnot subsided within 4-5 days or so...but it was a good month or so before I felt normal.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Another voice for 3 - 4 weeks for full recovery. I had it a couple of years ago and the exhaustion lingered long after the acute symptoms resolved.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    evileen99 wrote: »
    It can easily take 3-4 weeks or more to recover from influenza. Did you get the vaccine?

And longer if you have asthma or any autoimmune disease. I have both and after I had the flu in January, I didn't make it back to any exercise harder than walking the dog for 6 weeks. It was 8 before I could do my normal exercise routine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    lavapixie wrote: »
    Hey there, I got pretty sick last week, and so did my entire family. The doctor says it was likely the flu, and the symptoms match. I was exhausted, very weak and had to force myself to get up. We all had high fevers, intense sweating, bad cough and shivers. I also got really bad headaches and a sore throat. I felt like I had been hit by a car. But it only lasted from Tuesday to Friday for me, the fever disappeared quite fast which is shocking to me because I was really sick. I'm still coughing up gross phlegm though, the doctor said coughing could last for a while.

I started taking short walks about two days ago and it actually ended up making my cough worse again so I'm not going to venture out just yet. I just tried to do some light cardio like I always do at home but for half an hour instead of an hour and I've only done about 10 minutes, but it feels like I've been working out for hours. I'm sweating so much and I'm so tired from just 10 minutes, I usually only sweat this much from 45+ minutes. Did I start exercising too early again? Christ, I feel like I can't do anything lately. Anyone else in the same conundrum?

I felt pretty much like this last winter. Went to the doctor, and since I'm with the VA, they tested for everything. I did not have the flu. It probably took a month before I was back to normal.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I had the flu last spring and didn’t rest except the two days I literally couldn’t crawl out of bed. I think that made my recovery take much longer. I should note that my exercise is all outdoors or in my home gym, so I wasn’t putting anyone else at risk.

• Yeah, even after the sickness went away, I still felt weak and lethargic for like 2 weeks after. It sucks lol. Hope you feel better soon!
  • lavapixie
    lavapixie Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks everyone, I think I will rest for a bit because I feel weak again and I think it might be because I was too impatient (also sorry for the late reply, I have a really bad habit of forgetting to answer threads I have started).

But I have seen a few people say that you should eat at a maintenance while you are sick so you have a faster recovery, but does it make that big of a difference? I'm still eating at a deficit because I get nervous if I eat at a maintenance (something I am working on) but I still have my appetite so if it does help me, I might eat a bit more. Thanks in advance!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yup, eat at maintenance. It will help your recovery.

Cheers, h.