Eggplant...

Options
jWhit
jWhit Posts: 15
I bought a fresh eggplant the other day and don't know how to cook it...any ideas?

Replies

• jWhit
    Options
    I bought a fresh eggplant the other day and don't know how to cook it...any ideas?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Eggplant parmigana.
    Chop it up and use it in stirfry.
    I like to "light bread" mine and bake em....mmm...eat em
  • jWhit
    Options
    That sounds good...thanks! :happy:
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    serves 6

1 medium eggplant, peeled
    2 teaspoons salt
    3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    3 teaspoons garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
    1 (6 ounce) package sliced mozzarella cheese
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:

DIRECTIONS
    Cut eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
    In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs. Dip eggplant into eggs, then coat with crumb mixture.
    In a large skillet, cook eggplant in 2 tablespoons oil for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and mushrooms in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until pepper and onion are crisp-tender. Sprinkle over eggplant. Top with tomatoes.
    Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Uncover; place cheese slices over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned.

it is awesome, but I don't know the nutrition value so if you figure it out let me know :drinker: :laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have been known to grill mine, in a VERY little bit of oil. You can use a pan, too.

The beauty of eggplant is that, like tofu, it easily soaks in the flavors of what you happen to be cooking with it, so it's a great meat substitute - I've used grated sauteed eggplant in spaghetti sauce, and sauteed it with chili powder for use in stretching taco meat.

Have fun!