Meat ages you?

Options
I have heard a lot of talk about eating protein, but, from what this book says, all proteins are not created equal.

I am reading a book that talks about red meat versus white. The red meat can actually age you, whereas the white meat can make you younger. Has anyone heard of this before?. I don't know if the book is accurate or not.

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What book are you reading?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I have cut most red meat from my diet. If I do eat it I make sure it is very lean and only very seldom. I think there is enough info out there that says too much red meat is not good, but you will have a lot of people who disagree.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't believe this what-so-ever.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    What book are you reading?

The book is called " The Real Age Diet"
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And dark paint can actually make a room smaller...
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    I'm studying Nutrition Therapy and have heard of that, but not often. From what I have learned (just sharing, don't expect you to jump on board) Red meat is VERY important and all though MANY people live without it, it's extremely important to supplement if you choose to go that route. From what I have heard about red meat aging you, it's along the lines of fatty and hormone pumped red meat aging organs like your liver as well as arteries. Hope you find out info that satisfies you :)
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that before. I don't eat beef at all (it was a choice years ago), but now if I was to eat it I'd need to be rushed to the hospital to have my stomach pumped, its that bad in my digestive system. However, I do eat Turkey, Chicken and Fish...and the only pork I eat is Bacon, occasionally...can't help it, it is just so darn good. But, as far as, aging goes...I think it is more of genetics...because me, my mother, my grandmother do not look our ages at all. I am always getting mistaken for my daughter's sister. Genetics plays a huge roll, not meat...cause they eat every meat and they look great!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Too much protein from any source can be harmful to your body.

As for the difference between red meat VS white meat... does the book explain why one thing is worse than the other? i.e. exactly how red meat ages you, or how white meat makes you younger?
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    The only thing that can make you younger is a time machine. All meat (and veggies and whatever else you put in your mouth) will age you, simply because after you eat them, it's futher along in time than before you ate them. :wink:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I find protein facials really take the years off.
  • THCamel
    THCamel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    And dark paint can actually make a room smaller...

Paint is a 5 letter word :huh:
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's just silly! Unless you're talking about non-organic meats then MAYBE, who knows what all those hormones and antibiotics do to us.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This just sounds silly. Also, meat, especially red meat, is DELICIOUS. You cannot convince me not to eat it.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    It's the antibiotics, hormones, and carcinogens that are in the majority of meat now that cause this...not the meat itself.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    HA! :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The sky is falling. News at 11.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options

TROLOLOL :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Fish makes you a better swimmer.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look into that book. Never heard of it before.

There is going to be a ton of debate around here on whether or not red meat or meat in general is good for you or not. But I agree with the above poster who mentioned that there is enough science out there to support limited red meat consumption.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I live in farm country and have access to not wildly expensive, grass-fed, hormone-free beef that is packed with Omega-3s and other very healthful fats that make its nutrition profile much different than the meat you buy at the Piggly Wggly.

I would be VERY careful taking any health/diet book strictly at face value. Anyone can twist any theory around and support it with ancedotal evidence or research that may be funded by very partisan parties.

Moderation and common sense are the guidiing principles I use for my diet, YMMV.