Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Options

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I'm not sure I entirely get the post, but what is wrong with gyms targeted to people who do want to be bothered by strangers giving them unsolicited advice they didn't want or didn't ask for? There are plenty of different gyms for different type of people. But the gym going experience can be intimidating for a lot of people, made worse by wanna be experts who think they are personal trainers because they go to the gym every day.

It's not "PC culture" to not bother people who don't want to be bothered. It's basic decency. Let those who want to train in peace do so. There are plenty of other gyms to do other things at.

^^this^^ well said and YAY PLANET FITNESS.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hi, newmeadow!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Awwww... the poor gym bros are offended by the PF ads!

But they're not displaying victim mentality...no, no.
    THEY"RE not complaining about American PC culture.....
    Not just because the poor babies post a PF hate thread here every single frickin' day to say how offended they are...

I'm going to very non-PC here to make you guys happy...The "Pick Stuff Up and Put Stuff Down" ad is hilarious!
    I want a t-shirt with that on it.

ETA: and I find all the other PF ads hilarious as well....

When my coworkers ask me what I'm doing for lunch and it's a workout day, I tell them I'm going to pick stuff up and put it down.

Get me a t-shirt too!

https://www.cafepress.com/+i-lift-things-up-i-put-them-down+womens-clothing

I ordered one!

I want the "I bench 350" one too, but not there yet....
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    While I think the concept itself of "no intimidation" gyms is silly and unnecessarily instills fear of gyms, I have no problem with the existence of 'less hardcore' gyms. Not everybody is (or wants to be) a hardcore powerlifter or bodybuilder, and that's perfectly fine. In terms of general health, any exercise is better than no exercise.

I do have a problem with the blatant hypocrisy of Planet Fitness' marketing strategy. They label themselves as a "no judgment zone", yet they're highly judgmental of fit people and their commercials stereotype and mock them in various ways. If any other gym chain wanted to project a more 'hardcore' image and made TV commercials stereotyping, mocking and belittling fat people and scrawny non-lifters in a similar way, they'd be crucified for it.

Well said!

I kinda had to laugh because I’m pretty sure I go to an “intimidation gym” lol

I guess as long as people are getting fit and healthy right? 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like my new gym. Have not been there once where there wasn't a squat rack free and I can go, do my thing and leave. I've had two conversations with one person (he asked me about my earbuds) and that's it. I go first thing (~5:45) 3 days a week and have no clue if it is a different atmosphere later in the day or not.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, the only creepy gym experience I've ever had was at a Planet Fitness.

There was a dude there who had no sense of boundaries, and I saw him in action with other women after I made it clear my podcasts were more interesting than he was.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I entirely get the post, but what is wrong with gyms targeted to people who do want to be bothered by strangers giving them unsolicited advice they didn't want or didn't ask for? There are plenty of different gyms for different type of people. But the gym going experience can be intimidating for a lot of people, made worse by wanna be experts who think they are personal trainers because they go to the gym every day.

It's not "PC culture" to not bother people who don't want to be bothered. It's basic decency. Let those who want to train in peace do so. There are plenty of other gyms to do other things at.

To be honest, in anything I've read on the PF rules haven't seen anything about giving unsolicited advice.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    While I think the concept itself of "no intimidation" gyms is silly and unnecessarily instills fear of gyms, I have no problem with the existence of 'less hardcore' gyms. Not everybody is (or wants to be) a hardcore powerlifter or bodybuilder, and that's perfectly fine. In terms of general health, any exercise is better than no exercise.

I do have a problem with the blatant hypocrisy of Planet Fitness' marketing strategy. They label themselves as a "no judgment zone", yet they're highly judgmental of fit people and their commercials stereotype and mock them in various ways. If any other gym chain wanted to project a more 'hardcore' image and made TV commercials stereotyping, mocking and belittling fat people and scrawny non-lifters in a similar way, they'd be crucified for it.

Well said!

I kinda had to laugh because I’m pretty sure I go to an “intimidation gym” lol

I guess as long as people are getting fit and healthy right? 🤷🏼‍♀️

I belonged to a Gold’s Gym in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s that was the home gym for several bodybuilders, both pro and amateur, men and women, so I guess some people would consider that an “intimidation gym”. Thing is, they were the most chill people in the whole gym - so into their own workouts that they hardly even noticed anything going on around them. They always racked their weights, put away their dumbbells and wiped down the equipment because it’s what they were taught to do, and because the other bodybuilders would call them out if they didn’t. They’d say hi, but never offered unsolicited advice or harassed anybody. The only times I ever saw them do anything like that was when the high school gym bros would get rowdy and start acting stupid - a few quiet words from one of the bodybuilders and the stupidity would cease very quickly.

I’ve had worse experiences in the “non-intimidation” type gyms - brain dead people hogging stations while they text, take selfies for their instasnapface accounts, or sit there and gossip about their dates. If you’re there to workout, then workout - if you’re there to socialize and impress your social media followers, go do it somewhere where you’re not hindering everybody else from getting their workouts done. That kind of garbage is more likely to happen in those kind of gyms because everybody is afraid to say anything to them because of the “judgment free” thing.

I’d much rather be in a gym with a bunch of hardcore “lunks” going quietly (or even noisily) and efficiently about their workouts than with a bunch of sheeple randomly stumbling around from station to station, competing for social media ‘likes’ and leaving a trail of their “toys” strewn around the gym behind them.

Amen
  • lemurcat2
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

To be honest, in anything I've read on the PF rules haven't seen anything about giving unsolicited advice.

Yeah, I seriously doubt this is actually a difference between PF and other gyms. I don't get random people coming up to me and giving me advice at my non PF gym, and I'd bet it's happened before at a PF. Probably as often or more at PF's, since they are aimed at beginners and some would perceive it as being friendly.

Maybe someone can start the "no talking to anyone gym" -- it's like the gym version of the quiet car!

(Joking)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I had to Google the word lunk. In the process I came across this, which actually clarified for me why serious gym-users /body builders might find Planet Fitness's advertising approach offensive :

https://amp.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2011/05/gym_rat_control.html

I'm still in favour of "no intimidation" gyms but really, why can we not just accept that what works for some may not work for others, and basically live and let live? If you don't want to go to a gym frequented by serious body builders, then you don't have to because thankfully there are alternatives. Likewise if you don't want to go to a gym where people take selfies yada yada, you don't need to. But there's no need to slate each other. Each to his/her own, neither view is right or wrong.

I agree with the "each to his own" idea and don't really care if people want to go to a planet fitness and find that less "intimidating". Honestly, I don't get the whole intimidation thing. No gym I've belonged to over the years was intimidating. I never belonged to a Gold's but I've belonged to a L.A. Fitness, an Anytime Fitness and a bunch of smaller non-chain gyms including an MMA gym.

The places where there were occasionally stereotypical "lunks" were at the L.A. Fitness and the MMA gyms. The LA Fitness ones were the jerkiest with yelling and grunting and loudly dropping weights. Kind of like a "look at me" side show. The MMA guys were just a little macho. I never found either intimidating. The guys at LA Fitness I just laughed at because they were so ridiculous and the MMA guys were just serious about their thing.

I can understand both of these situations could be found intimidating for some people and that's totally cool. What I can't understand is the need to polarize and exclude the middle that is reflected in the article and in PF's marketing. There is a whole middle ground of people that like to lift weights for fitness and aesthetic reasons that don't fit the "lunk" stereotype and aren't really looking for a more "safe space" kind of gym. These are people that might grunt slightly on the last couple of reps. They might drop a deadlift a little at the end of of a set. But they are not intentionally showing off or acting all macho and intimidating. They are just getting their workout in to suit their goals.

What I find offensive about PF and others that take their approach is that they play on people's fears and foster these kind of stereotypes that really only represent only a small fringe group and are not representative of the majority of gym goers at all. We are not all either "normal" or "lunks" and most gyms are not geared toward lunks. At the vast majority of the gyms at which I've been a member, most folks were fine and there were always a few jerks, just like in any other public activity and gathering place.

Interestingly, I remember reading somewhere that the vast majority of most gym goers don't use their memberships that much and that is more true at PF. So, as a business model, it works. High membership fees, low utilization = profits.

PS: As a totally separate issue, I get that for women, there is a certain amount of unsolicited advice that I really see more as someone using that ploy to hit on a woman. And I get how that can be onerous. But why wouldn't the same thing happen at PF?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm a disabled senior. I work out so I can keep some mobility and balance, and so I won't get osteoporosis. Many of the people I've seen at the gym are also overweight and/or seniors, but I go in the daytime on weekdays. There are some buff people there, too. I couldn't care less what anyone else at a gym is doing or what they think about me. I have to think about my health, not what someone else is doing.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Recently found out this is a thing beyond the obvious Planet Fitness.

I think this is a completely BS thing. I will admit it is a genius business model (Keep membership costs so low people will keep it even if they don't use it, discourage the culture of people who will put wear and tear on your equipment, and could possibly teach newcomers something). I will give credit to the idea from a financial standpoint.

From a fitness standpoint, it's completely pointless and is the embodiment of our lazy, overly PC, overfed American culture, at least IMO. It would be better for our country as a whole if there was less of this "you're fine the way you are, but if you want to work out you can but whatever is ok" and more of the attitude "you are obese, here is the means and knowledge to fix it - now put in some work."

That's just my .02. Debate

Do you think that intimidation is important for habit changing? Nothing wrong with encouraging people to put in some work (that's what all gyms generally are for, regardless of if they're considered "intimidation gyms" or not), but why is intimidation necessary? Don't you think that people are more likely to make changes when they don't feel like they'll be judged for their beginner fitness level? Everyone starts at the beginning, and fear of judgment holds an awful lot of people back from what we know they can accomplish.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    What I can't understand is the need to polarize and exclude the middle that is reflected in the article and in PF's marketing. There is a whole middle ground of people that like to lift weights for fitness and aesthetic reasons that don't fit the "lunk" stereotype and aren't really looking for a more "safe space" kind of gym. These are people that might grunt slightly on the last couple of reps. They might drop a deadlift a little at the end of of a set. But they are not intentionally showing off or acting all macho and intimidating. They are just getting their workout in to suit their goals.

What I find offensive about PF and others that take their approach is that they play on people's fears and foster these kind of stereotypes that really only represent only a small fringe group and are not representative of the majority of gym goers at all. We are not all either "normal" or "lunks" and most gyms are not geared toward lunks. At the vast majority of the gyms at which I've been a member, most folks were fine and there were always a few jerks, just like in any other public activity and gathering place.

Exactly this. That's why I tend to find PF's business model and advertising objectionable.