No keto, low carb just what fits in calorie goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I’ve never followed a named diet for weight loss. I’m vegetarian because I want to be, not because I think it does anything for weight loss. It absolutely does not do anything special for weight loss. I was an obese vegetarian and am now a thin vegetarian. You lose weight when you eat fewer calories than your body burns, regardless of what foods those calories come from.

I eat relatively high carb because vegetarian proteins often have carbs, because I need the fuel as an endurance runner, and also because I really love chocolate. I eat chocolate every day and fit it into my calorie goal. I lost 100 pounds and have been maintaining in my optimal BMI range for over a year.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, low-carb, paleo, etc...I think it's going alright for me so far (pretty proud of progress)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I do IF too BUT, Ive always done it as Im not a breakfast eater. Ive done it for 3+ decades even before I knew I was fasting or that what I was doing was fasting.Ive lost,gained and maintained doing IF so it definitely for me isnt for weight loss,it just works with me and when I feel the hungriest(which 99% of the time is after noon). I have to eat a low fat diet due to a health issue, too much fat for me is a no no. I still ate what I wanted when losing weight just less of it. I still do an am maintaining my weight. I make things fit, of course I have my days when I do go over but I try to get back on track the next day.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    carbs are life. I eat at a deficit, I lose weight. I eat more carbs than anything else (once I hit my protein target, the rest is fair game)

when I eat like an idiot, I gain weight. carbs or not.

it's just what people are happy with really. Oh - and the caloric deficit.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost a little over 50 pounds with just eating less. I usually try to go for nutrient dense foods because they are more filling for me. I usually also try to focus on getting enough fat and protein which is more filling for me. I don't try and do low carb but I try for lower because it's usually not as filling for me. However, I will be the last person to give up good pizza! Most days I shoot for 150 but I usually end up over shooting. Some days by a lot.

It really is individual. If you find carbs are more filling for your, go for. I would say that you'll want to make sure that you're getting enough protein and fat since they are necessary for muscle maintenance/production and hormone regulation, but feel free to enjoy the carbs. I know some people do really well on keto, others do well on Paleo or other WOE. Awesome! For me they let to more disordered eating. Different things work for different people but the one thing that works for everyone, barring medical issues, is caloric deficit for weight loss. Good luck!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Okay so I guess I’m just doubting myself, I need to hear some success stories of people that haven’t done keto, intermittent fasting, low carb, Paleo.
    While I do tend to stay away from a lot of white carbs and of course I try to eat as much fruit and veggies as possible sometimes I eat a hotdog for lunch because well I have 6 kids...
    & it works for me.
    But it’s hard to stay in the donwhat works for you mind set when your constantly seeing other people doing all these different stuff.
    For me I just know I couldn’t do keto or any of those other things long term.

If you know you couldn't do it long term, then it sounds like you are being smart and doing what works for you.

I lost 90 lbs eating at a variety of carb levels, but not keto. I tried keto for a while for fun when maintaining and found it too restrictive for me -- it cut out foods I love and think are healthy, as well as just limiting options. I now tend to be kind of low carb when trying to lose (I'm currently trying to get back to my lowest weight and below), and moderate carb when maintaining (100-120 when losing, around 150 when maintaining, although I don't really worry about either, it's just how I tend to eat, since I like more protein and fat).

The only reason I'd worry about macros (assuming enough protein) is if you aren't feeling satisfied on your current diet. Then I'd change it up to see if it helps.
  • TLBentley1
    TLBentley1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love the comments above! The calorie deficit works! I think its about finding the sweet spot. Where you're feeding your body enough not to feel threatened, the rest is finding what you and your body agree you can eat. I love bread but bread doesn't love me, my hands swell especially if I mix it with protein, no hot dogs a a bun for me!

Thanks for your post though, makes me feel better about my eat my calories, don't over indulge and keep pushing mantra I've recently adopted.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The first 20 pounds I lost was done with just calorie counting. I weighed my food and logged everything I ate. The last 40 have been with not just calorie counting, but specific macros for my goals and activity (IIFYM).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I just focused on calories and protein. Lost and kept of 50 lbs for 6 years

Probably averaged 250-350g of carbs too

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs 3 years ago just logging what I ate and moving more. Didn't cut out any foods I love, just ate smaller portions of them.

I've never been a breakfast eater - I'm just not hungry first thing in the morning. Been skipping breakfast for decades. I guess that technically makes me an Intermittent Fasting person, but since I've been doing it long before it had a fancy name, for me it's just the way my eating patterns have always naturally been.

I got overweight eating this way, and I lost weight eating this way. There's no magic, just logic and a wee bit of math.

Fad diets come and go, but in the end, eating less calories than what your body will burn off in a day is what will always drive weight loss. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Hybrid child - great before and after photos!

I am another one who didn't follow any particular diet or style of eating - lost to my goal in 2013 and kept it off since.