Thanksgiving side dish idea

no1racefan1
no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
Anybody want to help me come up with a side dish I can bring to Thanksgiving dinner? Between DH and I, we have a lot of food sensitivities and won't be able to eat most of the traditional dishes that are being served. I want to make something we can both eat that can be served alongside the rest of the meal.

Cannot contain:
Onions/onion powder
Peas
Green beans
Oats
Barley
Wheat
Eggs
Dairy products
Celery
Tomatoes
Almonds
Peanuts
Soy
Potatoes
Rice

Replies

• no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Roasted carrots is a great idea!
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Hmm, that's tricky. Maybe roasted broccoli, I second the butternut squash mashed or roasted, I like steamed carrots with lemon pepper, cranberry and apple relish is yumm, maybe a squash and zucchini mix?... that's all I got!
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    hmm... how about bean sprouts, cauliflower, squash, corn, pumpkin, cabbage, mushrooms, shiitake, asparagus, and... that's all i can think of as of now.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Roasted butternut squash mash with maple syrup and vegan soy free butter, Trader Joe's roasted vegetables (carrot, rutabaga, and parsnip), cauliflower mash with vegan butter and nondairy milk, cranberry sauce, are staples in our family. We even do a vegan pumpkin or sweet potato pie with a gluten free or nut-based pecan crust. I have a dairy allergy and my husband has a wheat allergy, so we have had lots of practice making allergy friendly holiday meals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    We are having roasted asparagus and mushrooms as one side dish.
    https://www.aheadofthyme.com/2015/12/roasted-garlic-asparagus-and-mushrooms/

Plain corn or zucchini and corn

Avocado lentil salad https://www.giverecipe.com/avocado-lentil-salad/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Where are all you people getting asparagus from at this time of year?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,154 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

The grocery---nice thin stalks right now. I made prosciutto wrapped asparagus for a party just last weekend.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    I make quinoa that I mix with roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries and pecans (glazed or not). It looks really pretty too.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I always take roasted veggies as a side. Which veggies vary, but I always include a variety of different colors - beets, brussel sprouts, carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, cabbage, potatoes, parsnip, broccoli, cauliflower, etc...

You can toss in cranberries and/or pecans if you want a more themed dish.

I also sometimes take a fall salad - spinach, apple or pear, red onion, candied nuts, blue cheese if you like it, dried cranberries, light dressing, etc...
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »

The grocery---nice thin stalks right now. I made prosciutto wrapped asparagus for a party just last weekend.

According to the California Asparagus Commission (only California would have such a thing!) most asparagus sold in the US today is grown in South America...
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,154 Member

According to the California Asparagus Commission (only California would have such a thing!) most asparagus sold in the US today is grown in South America...

Does South American asparagus have cooties? I've honestly never noticed the provenance of my produce.
  • ccallenlose
    ccallenlose Posts: 1 Member
    I can’t believe I’m reading my allergy list here. I even have more than what’s in this list. I’m such a foodie and it’s so hard. I have found some recipes that I could just change a little bit and they end up being really good. I would love to share any of my recipes with you. I’m here trying to figure out something unique I haven’t made before and I just cut and paste did a side dish for Thanksgiving that I found here on my fitness pal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Brussel sprouts par boiled then stir fried with bacon. Squeeze orange/Mandarin juice over and dress with orange/Mandarin segments and cilantro, if liked.

Cheers, h.
  • acpgee

Does South American asparagus have cooties? I've honestly never noticed the provenance of my produce.

It's just more environment friendly to stick to produce that isn't transported from far away.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

I got my raw asparagus at the grocery store. Label says it came from Mexico.
    When I was younger we bought canned asparagus in winter. I think you can get frozen asparagus as well. Still processed and shipped from somewhere.
    If I only ate locally grown produce I would not be eating any fresh fruits or vegetables from October to April.
  • rvaugh07
    rvaugh07 Posts: 110 Member
    Black bean quinoa salad is delicious and can be made without those. When ive made it i used quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro, avacado, red and greeen bell peppers, and some fresh squeezed lime juice. Its so good!
  • acpgee
    crazyravr wrote: »

It's just more environment friendly to stick to produce that isn't transported from far away.

So we are suppose to not eat any fresh veggies of fruit because its winter here?

There is something to be said for supporting agriculture in South America, but I try to eat local. In winter that's brassicas, squashes, beets, parsnips, leeks.