3 weeks in - still tired

Options
So 3 weeks ago I got my act together. Joined the gym, started tracking on MFP. I keep waiting for the energy to kick in but I am still dead tired by the end of the day.

Any tips?

My routine is
5:15 am - 45 to 50 min walk
6:00 - 20 min very easy/light AM Yoga by Rodney Yee dvd with my hubby - I consider this my stretch time after the long walk
Shower/Breakfast/Then head to work (1 hour commute each way)
On the way home from work (no excuses) I stop at the gym
Mon - HIIT class/10k steps
Tues - have choir so just get the walk in 10k steps
Wed - Zumba class/ 10k steps
Thurs - Full body workout/ 10k steps
Fri - Cardio/lower body/ 10k steps
Sat - Cardio/upper body/ 10k steps/ Grocery shopping/Farmer's Market
Sun - Walk only 10k steps/ Church/ gardening if the weather's good and I'm up for it. Food prep for the week.

I'm 50ish - 5'8" currently fluctuating between 192 and 195. First goal is to be in the 180's by Thanksgiving.

Mindset is like a video game - once I get to the 180's next goal will be 170's and so on.

Ultimate goal - haven't decided yet. Old me would quickly say 125 but at this stage of the game 140 would be a good number on the scale. It's more about being healthy this time around.
Nice arms and legs and no tummy are the real target no particular number on the scale.

We are also getting a discount on our insurance if we get 8500 steps a day in for the next 28 days so you know that's gonna happen.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m 2 months in and still feel pretty exhausted by the end of the day, especially if I did strength training that day.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm wondering if you're getting enough to eat. I found it tricky to balance a lot of activity with a calorie deficit (I still do some days). I think if you're not used to all of that activity, either the pre-work walk/yoga is a good start, OR the after work gym sessions. Or maybe scale back the gym to every other day for a bit. You may have started a bit too enthusiastically. I usually fall into bed and go right to sleep, but it's taken years of getting to the point that I'm now at with time spent working out, sleeping, tweaking calorie intake, etc. Play with your schedule a bit. If you're really exhausted, you might need to plan a day off. It won't set you back, and it might make the next day a better one :smile:
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Not totally exhausted, just really, really tired and only a little achy (like I am pushing hard enough but I know my body so I'm not going to far that I get hurt (my old MO) and I am feeling a bit stronger each day. I've read that after awhile of working out the energy kicks in and you start feeling more energized the stronger you get as previous folks have said.

I have the exercise down pat and know I have to switch it up in a few months so I don't get in a rut. I suppose it's the food that I still need a LOT of work on. Once I get to that sweet spot where the exercise and food intake balance out I will have arrived (for the moment- the only constant is change, right?) - Lol I'm all about mini goals. This has been a crazy week food wise. We should (you never know what will pop up) should have a normal weekend so I will be able to do food prep and be prepared for next week. I think that's the key - when I get to do food prep on the weekends my weeks go much better.

Here's another question - I usually eat fruit on the commute home before going to the gym (apple, grapes, cutie orange). Would it be better if I had a granola bar or what else (portable - can be consumed in a moving vehicle) could I eat that's not too heavy but would fuel me through my workouts? They are hard but not by any means as intense as I've seen or been in previously.

Ya'll are awesome. Thank you for all your pearls of wisdom.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Not totally exhausted, just really, really tired and only a little achy (like I am pushing hard enough but I know my body so I'm not going to far that I get hurt (my old MO) and I am feeling a bit stronger each day. I've read that after awhile of working out the energy kicks in and you start feeling more energized the stronger you get as previous folks have said.

I have the exercise down pat and know I have to switch it up in a few months so I don't get in a rut. I suppose it's the food that I still need a LOT of work on. Once I get to that sweet spot where the exercise and food intake balance out I will have arrived (for the moment- the only constant is change, right?) - Lol I'm all about mini goals. This has been a crazy week food wise. We should (you never know what will pop up) should have a normal weekend so I will be able to do food prep and be prepared for next week. I think that's the key - when I get to do food prep on the weekends my weeks go much better.

Here's another question - I usually eat fruit on the commute home before going to the gym (apple, grapes, cutie orange). Would it be better if I had a granola bar or what else (portable - can be consumed in a moving vehicle) could I eat that's not too heavy but would fuel me through my workouts? They are hard but not by any means as intense as I've seen or been in previously.

At this point, it doesn't really matter. Both have carbs, which can be useful for energy. The granola bar is likely to have more fat in it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but that depends on the rest of your diet. Overall, it's not something that I would spend time debating over. Whatever fits in your calorie budget.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I’ve read many posts here from others who mentioned that they have so much more energy now they they’re eating healthier and exercising. That’s never been me either. I do feel better when I eat healthier, but exercising always makes me tired too. I’m very impressed you work out twice a day. Its a lot for me to get in a workout every other day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would be tired too if I did that much exercise every day. You’re doing a lot, and there’s no need to do that much exercise (or any exercise) to lose weight. It sounds like you’ve also gone from sedentary to a massive amount of activity all at once. Your body isn’t prepared for that, and you also don’t sound like you’re giving it any rest days for recovery.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Afterthought: You mention getting up at 5:15. What time are you going to bed? If you added all that exercise to your schedule all at once, and recently, plus the calorie deficit, you may need more sleep. Bedtime around 9PM, 10 at the latest?

Definitely this, I get up at 5am couple times a week to fit in training and and 6.30am rest of week for children and am in bed by around 9.30pm most nights. If I have a late/disturbed night then I'm usually much more lethargic and struggle through my runs/workouts

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I pack light dinner to reheat and eat at the office about an hour or so before I head home. After the gym I have a piece of fruit or, if needed, a protein bar.

This works for me; I don’t like a heavy meal too close to bedtime and it’s close to 7 when I get home.

It does also mean I have to be diligent about getting a big breakfast and lunch in or I will be short on calories and stamina.

• RideLiftRun
    RideLiftRun Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advice above already, just quickly adding that I had a quick peek at your diary and it looks like you're not eating back many/any of your exercise calories. I know the burns MFP estimates for exercise tends to be too high and caution is wise, but maybe try eating half of your exercise calories back and see if that makes a difference?

I also find that macros can make a difference in my energy levels, especially getting enough protein - I shoot for 100g a day minimum.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    someone already mentioned it, but maybe you're not getting enough sleep? If I work out in the morning I'm in bed by 9:30pm the night before.
  • carlaringuette
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I would be tired too if I did that much exercise every day. You’re doing a lot, and there’s no need to do that much exercise (or any exercise) to lose weight. It sounds like you’ve also gone from sedentary to a massive amount of activity all at once. Your body isn’t prepared for that, and you also don’t sound like you’re giving it any rest days for recovery.

I do take Tuesday and Sunday as rest days from the gym because I have choir and church those days. I do the walking daily because it keeps me consistent. I'm doing better now. I think it's just an adjustment period and although I don't have a HIGH amount of energy it is slowly getting better. I used to go the gym after work come home and plop on the couch for the rest of the evening. Now I can do work, gym and get a few things done before bed. Each week is a little stronger. Guess I have to get some more patience. Lol

• carlaringuette
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Afterthought: You mention getting up at 5:15. What time are you going to bed? If you added all that exercise to your schedule all at once, and recently, plus the calorie deficit, you may need more sleep. Bedtime around 9PM, 10 at the latest?

I am a Cinderella Pumpkin and out by 10 pm - Lol
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary you are eating 1200 cal sometimes less. You should be eating back at least 1/4-1/2 of your exercise calories. This would probably improve your fatigue.
  • carlaringuette
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    After looking at your diary you are eating 1200 cal sometimes less. You should be eating back at least 1/4-1/2 of your exercise calories. This would probably improve your fatigue.

Thanks - I worked on getting the exercise to be routine and now I'm jumping into tweaking the food part of this.
    I will try to up the calories by 1/2 my exercise. Still a bit of a newbie. Thx again.

• orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've been on my fitness journey since June. I started with a strict meal plan and going to the gym 3-4 times a week. I quickly amped that up to 4 times a week and I started going 5 times a week in November. I also strive for 10k steps a day in addition to my workouts.

And I'm still tired.

But, I've found when I workout in the mornings I have more energy throughout the day (not walking . but strength training typically or occasionally HIIT classes). By 9 pm, I am ready for bed (I get up at 5 or 6 depending on the day). For me, it isn't so much about being tired at the end of the day but feeling more energized during the day and this has happened over time.

In terms of a snack, I think protein is SUPER important so a solid granola bar/protein bar would be great. I personally can't eat within an hour of going to the gym. Also, eating protein after you workout will help you build muscle and keep your metabolism high!

You are doing a greta job and it will all come together, one day you won't even notice how much things have changed!