How do I change serving sizes to grams

Options
2»

Replies

• GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you had 10 grams, log in 10/32, or .32 serving (I round up the second number every time).
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for bumping an older thread, but how do I change to the option of entering decimal points instead of fractions?

You just .... do. Select a serving and just put .25, .30, etc.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for bumping an older thread, but how do I change to the option of entering decimal points instead of fractions?

If you are using the iOS app, there should be a toggle option above the keyboard in the Add Food workflow.

Here is a screen capture of an older version; I don't use iOS but I would think the newest versions of iOS should have this. I don't think the option to change input is available on Android versions, it still uses just Decimal.

0mmikyemvwsy.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do the math where necessary, but for any whole food you should be able to find a USDA entry which will have a 100 g option (which makes it super easy).
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    How do I edit my own recipes to show me how many calories per gram the food contains? The only option I have is ''serving'', which really doesn't help me at all.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    How do I edit my own recipes to show me how many calories per gram the food contains? The only option I have is ''serving'', which really doesn't help me at all.

You have to weigh the total amount (preferably room temperature) in grams and then put that number into the number of servings; it will then divide the total Calories by the total weight in grams and give you Calories per gram.

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am often found at the kitchen table with a calculator in my hand, trying to do the conversion from ounces to grams! My math skills were never good, but sometimes I have to ask hubs for help!!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You shouldn't be converting from oz to g by calculator, there's no benefit to that. You should be measuring in grams and using an entry in grams. Ideally a USDA entry or the like with a 100 gram option, which makes it easy, or if you are stuck with something like 1 serving (44 g) then taking your amount (46 g or whatever) and dividing by 44.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be converting from oz to g by calculator, there's no benefit to that. You should be measuring in grams and using an entry in grams. Ideally a USDA entry or the like with a 100 gram option, which makes it easy, or if you are stuck with something like 1 serving (44 g) then taking your amount (46 g or whatever) and dividing by 44.

Sometimes amounts in a recipe are in ounces - then I convert to grams and then measure/weigh by grams.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Sometimes amounts in a recipe are in ounces - then I convert to grams and then measure/weigh by grams.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. I was thinking you meant you'd weigh in oz and then convert.
  • mynj2323
    mynj2323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For some items, when you scan the bar code, it only shows the serving size in volume (cups, spoons, etc...) Even if the package shows the number of grams per serving. If it is something I use frequently, I'll scan the bar code and create my own food item, and enter all the information in manually, so I can enter it in grams. It then saves my created for future use. If I make recipes or meals, I weigh each individual item (dry pre-cooked weight) enter that data, mix all together and then get the total weight of the finished product in grams, after it is cooked. I then will set the number of servings in the recipe equal to the total number of grams. This way, I can weigh whatever I eat of it and enter the number of grams I ate as the number of servings, so the app calculates everything correctly, without me having to do any math, eliminating the need to come up with a decimal value for the serving size. As long as you enter the weight of each ingredient and have the total finished weight, you can be pretty accurate with your calories / macros by weighing your portion and letting the app calculate the fraction of individual ingredients you ate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    srecupid wrote: »
    CyberTone wrote: »
    If you want to use that entry, change your quantity input method from fraction to decimal, then enter 0.906 (29 divided by 32 equals 0.90625). It's clunky and irritating, but welcome to MFP!

That's what I do. So freaking stupid. I think it has to do with the people who enter the info in the first place though. If it has the option for 32g just have the stupid thing figure out how much 1g is. Can myfitnesspal please add a popup calculator or something to the app? And please people when entering info in the database please use grams as the serving size. Most packages have it on them.

That is what I end up doing quite often as well, although I have stumbled across entries that have serving size of say 1 Cup/80 grams, and then in the drop down it actually has a 1 gram option. Maybe they are going through the database to make that a possibility when the information it there. I have the same struggle with things that have the main measure as cups rather than ml since all labels for liquids in Canada are in ml not even listing fluid oz.

And how about measuring liquids on a food scale? Mine has a ml option but, is that accurate? I'm curious

If the liquid is the same density as water, it's pretty accurate. The further away in either direction from water, the less accurate. The more calorie-dense the liquid, the more important that accuracy is.

I wouldn't use the scale ml estimate for oils/fats: Less dense than water, very high calorie. It's probably close enough for vinegar: Close density to water, not high calorie. There exist web sources that give the specific gravity of various liquids that you can use to make your own food DB entries for grams of liquids, or there are a bunch for common liquids in grams already in the DB.

Like someone else said: Check the serving size drop down; grams may be there, just not the default. This is especially true for green-checked foods whose default serving is in cups but that it would be dumb to measure in cups (apples, hard-boiled eggs, etc.). Those often have a long drop-down list of alternate serving sizes, usually including 1g or 100g.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What I do is look at the calories on the packaging for 100g say it's 176 cal. Then weigh what I'm having, say 29g and work it out from there. So 176 x 0.29 = the total will be the correct calories and you can either quick add the calories or make the product you scan to the correct cals.