Opinions On BMI

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't like it but it's what doctors go by to determine if you're "healthy". When I can get to a "normal" BMI, I sit around 130-133# which is close to overweight for a female at 5'2", but I'm lazy and don't want to put in more effort to lose another 20# to get in the middle.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't like it but it's what doctors go by to determine if you're "healthy". When I can get to a "normal" BMI, I sit around 130-133# which is close to overweight for a female at 5'2", but I'm lazy and don't want to put in more effort to lose another 20# to get in the middle.

From the NHS website....
    BMI takes into account natural variations in body shape, giving a healthy weight range for a particular height.

As well as measuring your BMI, healthcare professionals may take other factors into account when assessing if you're a healthy weight.

It's not intended or expected everyone should be in the middle of the range.
    It's just one tool, not the only tool.

You know, that's really awesome! Now please tell every doctor I have that! No doctor I've seen has ever taken my blood work/lab results into account of what they consider to be "healthy" for me.

I'm pear shape with a smallish medium frame (almost 6" wrist circumference, and 2 1/4" elbow measurement). I can stand to lose 20# and still be considered "unhealthy" by looks alone because I would have a hanging, flabby belly.
  • jagrl7
    jagrl7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also look unhealthy & feel sick when I’m on the low end of the BMI chart. I agree with nowine4me. Feeling better is far more important. I guess it’s ultimately up to the person to decide what’s best for them.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I absolutely never recommend anyone to go by BMI. It's interesting to read about, but not useful to go by.
    Outliers are the exception rather than the rule, unless you happen to work and live your life in a gym full of bodybuilders.

If you take a look around at society in general, our problem isn't that the vast majority of our population are ultra-lean and carrying too much muscle mass. Pair that with the fact that a lot of people who consider themselves BMI "outliers" are fatter than they think they are.

BMI is a reasonable ballpark figure for most people - with the understanding that it's not being utilized for what it was originally designed for, and that outliers, although rare, do exist.

I totally agree. BMI is a great tool for 98% of the population. Yes there are outliers, but the ones quoted are pretty much always the star athletes at and over the top end of the BMI range. I always keep in mind the All Blacks (NZ Ruby) often according to BMI overnight or even obese, but highly skilled trained and muscular types. A lot of people think well they are outliers so the system is broken. No they are the exception to the rule, but it does not mean that the rule is invalid because some super top athletes do not comply. But these athletes also do not have a social life as the general population have.

Plus what always strikes me as odd is that they never focus on the outliers at the bottom end of the BMI range, who also exist
    I absolutely never recommend anyone to go by BMI. It's interesting to read about, but not useful to go by.

bmi-comparison1.png
    I disagree it is a useful tool - provided as with all tools it is used correctly. Outliers that do not fit into the toolbox exist. They are rare and they special and they are not the special snowflakes that claim thatBMI does not work for them because they {fill in reason of choice}
  • carolintally
    carolintally Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Age is a factor in BMI as well.
    Check out https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/