Flat Tummy After C-Section

Options
I have experienced two c-sections and I didn't have a problem with the way my stomach looked after the first one because I didn't get very big at all. My first pregnancy ended prematurely. My second one, however, I felt so HUGE that it was ridiculous. There is no comparison between my first and second pregnancy. After my first one, my stomach went back to normal. It was the flat tummy I had always known. Well, now after my second c-section, my tummy is shaped so differently. I have heard that women who've had c-sections have a different shape to their belly than women who had a child naturally. I wouldn't even know how to explain the way my tummy looks now. I did some research on Google about finding my tummy again after c-sections and I came across a post by a woman who described her belly after two c-sections like this, "looking like a deflated balloon, all stretched out and wrinkled." After reading just that little bit, I realized OH MY GOSH! That is exactly how my tummy looks now. Like a deflated balloon, all stretched out and wrinkled. I'm hoping that there is HOPE! Will this ever go away? Will I ever have a flat tummy again?

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping!!! I am on my second c section baby. Only mine was opposite. My first pregnancy i got HUGE.. second time I gained half the weight.
    Mine looksl ike a combo of deflated balloon and end of a hot dog! hahaha Sad.
  • srk143
    srk143 Posts: 27
    Options
    that's how my belly looks after 1 c-section.....Bumping to see what others have to say :)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It might never be exactly the same... but you can get it back closer to your idea of normal. I was ginormously pregnant with twins and had a c-section. My stomach looked just like you described too! It was gross... but it's better now. What happens on a lot of women is that pregnancy stretches out your oblique muscles more than you realize. Those really help hold your stomach in. Also, you have to do a lot of work on your posture (sit/stand up straight) and the muscles in your back to hold your body up in a better position versus that pregnant -waddle position. That was pretty important for me too. My belly button is still about 1/4" lower than it used to be, but with work, I'm pretty sure I can still tighten that up. Good luck!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have experienced two c-sections and I didn't have a problem with the way my stomach looked after the first one because I didn't get very big at all. My first pregnancy ended prematurely. My second one, however, I felt so HUGE that it was ridiculous. There is no comparison between my first and second pregnancy. After my first one, my stomach went back to normal. It was the flat tummy I had always known. Well, now after my second c-section, my tummy is shaped so differently. I have heard that women who've had c-sections have a different shape to their belly than women who had a child naturally. I wouldn't even know how to explain the way my tummy looks now. I did some research on Google about finding my tummy again after c-sections and I came across a post by a woman who described her belly after two c-sections like this, "looking like a deflated balloon, all stretched out and wrinkled." After reading just that little bit, I realized OH MY GOSH! That is exactly how my tummy looks now. Like a deflated balloon, all stretched out and wrinkled. I'm hoping that there is HOPE! Will this ever go away? Will I ever have a flat tummy again?

You can, but it's hard. I'm giving myself six months to get my tummy back. If not, I go in February 6, 2012 to get a tummy tuck (I'm also getting a breast surgery, too so regardless I'm getting surgery). It's gotten flatter and more defined, but IMO not enough. Diet has made it better...completely clean. Absolutely no cheating...
  • TabbyLeAnn
    TabbyLeAnn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hope so! Mine is the way you described. One day the pouch will be gone
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I did not have c sections but I did deliver two 10 pound babies so my abdomen took a beating!!! My belly button is all out of shape and I have a low pooch. I can live without the pooch and it has gotten smaller over the last 6 months. I put Jerkins Toning Lotion on it every night and it really does seem to help. My sister has had two sections and she has started using it too. seems to be helping in her case as well. Best of luck to you.
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I did not have c sections but I did deliver two 10 pound babies so my abdomen took a beating!!! My belly button is all out of shape and I have a low pooch. I can live without the pooch and it has gotten smaller over the last 6 months. I put Jerkins Toning Lotion on it every night and it really does seem to help. My sister has had two sections and she has started using it too. seems to be helping in her case as well. Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much! I have wondered if that toning lotion helped at all. I might just give that a try. Use that on top of working out!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    It might never be exactly the same... but you can get it back closer to your idea of normal. I was ginormously pregnant with twins and had a c-section. My stomach looked just like you described too! It was gross... but it's better now. What happens on a lot of women is that pregnancy stretches out your oblique muscles more than you realize. Those really help hold your stomach in. Also, you have to do a lot of work on your posture (sit/stand up straight) and the muscles in your back to hold your body up in a better position versus that pregnant -waddle position. That was pretty important for me too. My belly button is still about 1/4" lower than it used to be, but with work, I'm pretty sure I can still tighten that up. Good luck!

Thank you! And I think I'm okay with it not being exactly the way it use to be. I mean, I honestly don't think it ever will be. I'm just hoping it will at least get smaller!
  • Ladibug23
    Ladibug23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I got huge with my son "1st " and had him natural my girl I only gained 7 pounds and had a c sec....my belly looked worse after my son than my daughter...and I know someone who got big during pregnancy and had a c-section lost the weight and looks awesome, she even rocks a bikini.:wink: ..Here's to hoping!!!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Bump
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is specific just to women who have C-sections, because it is caused by the extreme stretching of the skin, as well as relaxation of the abdominal muscles, which happens no matter which way you deliver. I got huge with my baby (delivered naturally), and 19 months later, my stomach still looks like you described (deflated, saggy), although it IS getting smaller. It will never be the same without surgery, though. You can lose the fat and tone the muscles, and to a certain extent help the skin by keeping it hydrated, but if you have excess skin, only surgery will fix it. Of course, I think age makes a difference--the younger you are, the more resillient your skin will be.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I had a c-sec for my second delivery and my stomach is actually getting better. It has been 3m onths since I lost the majority of my weight and I think my skin is starting to get back to normal. I think after a year or two it will probably be as good as it is going to get, but I'm sure mine will improve. I think my body just needs time to adjust ot my new weight.
  • kamula
    kamula Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a c sec. too and the belly is my worst enemy. I actually hate the way it looks. But I think with exercise and diet it can be better. I have seen people with 3 c sections get a toned belly and wear a bikini on. So that motivates me, Also some people on this site are moms with before and after weight loss pictures. pretty inspiring. I would try to loose weight and tone up and then take it from there, Lets get to our healthy goal and see if we still don't like our bellies :)
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    well ladies let me tell you my story! i had a Csection in june of 93 gave birth to a 8 lb 14 oz girl and went right back to start weight of 155, in septe 94 i had a VBAC with my 9 lb 7 oz son stomach looked absolutelygross like the deflated balloon but still went back down to 160 but iwent to boot camp (joined the army) gained weight but toned up nicely! left basiv at 175, did 4 years in the army and got out weighing 185. Now this is when the bad stuff came in.................got married in 2001 (weighing in at 245), had a 5 lb 8 oz baby girl in january of 03 weighing in right before delivery at 225 i have no idea how i did that, and deflated immediately with the saggy belly and stretch marks that had dissappeared at boot camp! well now i am back to the 233 ( and have been there for about 7-8 years and guess what those stretch marks are there, but so not noticable! they are the same color of my skin and i have been told by my doctor that my abs, under my layer of flat, will be perfect if i exercise, diet right to get that layer of fat off! so guess what ladies I am on here to get the 6 pack!
  • chelleybelly8
    Options
    I have a "ledge" on my stomach after my c-section 3+ years ago. The upper section still "hangs" over the lower section. I've lose all of the baby weight, plus an additional 10 lbs, but sadly, my midsection will never look the same. I did gain a LOT of weight during pregnancy though.... :(

Also, my belly button will never look the same. Stretch marks stink.
  • christinalm84
    Options
    I have the same problem...it looks gross! I hope it will look better after I lose more weight!
  • emilycampbellcarpenter
    Options
    I've had 4 cesareans. I know my tummy will never be the same and that's ok but I'm hoping with the weight loss it will at least be less noticeable. *fingers crossed*
  • wrenknurowski
    Options
    I know these are older posts but I faced the same thing with a c-section and I HATED it!!! I use myfitnesspal to lose the weight but as far as tightening up the stretched out skin the BEST product I have found is It Works Globals ultimate body applicator. They are NOT weight loss wraps but specifically target the loose skin. And they are all natural active ingredients. I loved my results so much I actually signed up as a distributor so I could help people like me. I know this sounds like a pitch but I honestly saw such huge results I just had to share! You can check the products out on WrapWithWren.myitworks.com and you can see my personal result pics on my Facebook page WrapWithWren. I really hope you guys look in to this. I'm a very happy mama with my results!