deli meat

Options
instead of buying my sandwisch meat pre packaged I buy it from the deli counter, and watch them slice it... I heard that it is still processed though. any input on if thats true or not

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Most of it is. You can ask the person behind the counter for the nutritional information of the meat he/she is slicing for you.
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    Unless you get one low in sodium it is all very high, like 650 mg per serving.
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    Unless you get one low in sodium it is all very high, like 650 mg per serving.

That's what I was going to say. Boar's Head is a good one, but it's really better to prepare your own meats.

Also those frozen chicken breast are usually injected with sodium solutions so they are really high in sodium too.
    I just decided to eliminate sandwiches completely, too many carbs in the bread and too much sodium in the meat. I eat a salad with just straight meat on it. Just an Idea. Good luck.
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Boars head brand and sahlens are pretty good and low in sodium and they are a turkey breast not processed.

3926935.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all of the deli meat is still processed. I've heard Boars Head is better, but still processed meat. I recently read a very huge thread about deli meat and decided to try to cut back. I still love turkey sandwiches, but I'm eating fewer now. They all have a lot more sodium than say, a turkey breast you cook on your own, so that's why I'm dialing it back.
  • reganbrownreynolds
    Options
    Yep, all deli meat is processed. I tend to buy Boar's Head because after reviewing lots of nutritional information, it seems to be the one that is "least bad". I now only buy 1 pound total per week. I make sure that there is just enough for us to make sandiwches on the weekend and maybe 1-2 times per week (2-3 ounces per sandwich).