Womens safety while running alone

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been thinking a lot about this lately since I've started running alone in the very early hours of the morning when it's still dark out. My mom was always telling me never to run alone, and ended up getting me a large intimidating german shepherd to run with many years ago. He was a great running partner (strong working line, great endurance, super sweet.. I sure do miss him!) and no one ever messed with me. My current dog however can't run very far so I don't usually take him with me, he plops himself down after about a mile. A self defense class I once took the instructor advised all of us women to never run with headphones as it makes us an easy target, oblivious to the world. The instructor also suggested no pony tails or braids, as a bad guy could grab them and easily manipulate a woman into a vehicle, same with backpacks. Police advise pepper spray but accuracy and if it deployed correctly is a factor. This doesn't leave a lot of options for a female runner like myself, I don't have a running partner who is my speed, and for long distances in the Florida heat I am forced to carry a water pack and honestly running with my hair down is just a mess. I also like listening to music. I can't run in the afternoon most days because of the risk of heat stroke, so when it's dark out is my best shot. I feel like i'm in a very safe neighborhood, every morning a police officer passes me several times, and the crime rate in this area is low. When I brought my concerns up with my husband he said he isn't concerned about my safety at all, and he doesn't believe it really happens to women unless its an ex boyfriend or someone specifically targeting them. He also thinks men are just as likely to be abducted. When my husband runs with me he gets honked and hollered at just as much as me it seems. I tried looking up the stats in our area and in general and couldn't really find much on it. However the last half marathon I raced in they held a seminar about womens running safety. I enjoy running and don't want to live my life in fear. I usually do carry a weapon but its heavy and a burden while running. Curious what others thoughts are on the topic, and how do you keep safe while running? Have you ever been attacked? Is it silly to worry about such things? Women do you run alone?

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Bad things can happen anywhere at anytime. However, statistics are on your side on this and risk is low (of a bad guy jumping out of a bush or something). I survived a brutal assault-by someone I knew. I run with no weapons, with music, with my hair up in a pony tail, with a hydration pack (if needed). My biggest risk (IMO) is vehicle traffic, skunks, loose dogs, bats and tripping over a curb and getting injured.

I stay as visible as possible, I use live tracking on my runs and give an approximate time I expect to be home. I run similar routes often because I am familiar to the other people on those routes and I am familiar with them. I use as much light as is reasonable to scare off the skunks.

In the 7 years I’ve been running-number of scary bad guys encountered: 0.
    Number of near-collisions with terrible drivers: approx 6 per run.
    Number of skunk and bat sightings: approx 2-3 per run.
    Number of wayward loose dogs: approx 1-2 per run.

Idk. That seems enough for me to worry about. I don’t think it’s silly to worry about. But as mentioned above, I just don’t and think that’s reasonable for my circumstances.

Wow I didn't know you were attacked Ducky, that's terrifying but glad you are okay! Agree with the loose dogs thing, every run I encounter several, and when I bring my own dog he just attracts more lol. Yet to run into a bat or a skunk though lol.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'm very aware of my surroundings when out walking because I usually aim for 8 - 9 miles each time. Unfortunately, due to safety reasons I never go farther than a 2 mile radius from my truck. This means looping back and forth through certain spots on the trails and walking more laps around the small fishing pond than I'd prefer, but safety comes first and being out in nature is FAR superior than being stuck on a treadmill.

Where I walk is a state park so most of the time it's busy and there are no worries, but when the weather starts to cool down there are fewer people out so I just make sure I'm aware of who else is there and thankfully the park rangers are out and about year-round.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it as much as my husband does. If I run when it is dark I stick to well lit areas. But I am most concerned that cars can see me and that I can see where I am going. I do run with a hand held pepper spray but I have never had to use it. I usually wear a ponytail and never even thought of that as a risk. I wouldn't want to run with my hair down. I listen to music, but not very loudly (I don't want to damage my hearing) and I only use one earbud so I can hear traffic etc. I've never felt threatened by anyone I have seen when running. I've felt threatened once or twice by dogs, and bitten once. And I've seen a few skunks and almost tripped over a squirrel once. But other than trying to be aware of my surroundings I don't worry about running by myself.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just try to be aware and not be a target.
    people say that i am more likely to be sexually assaulted by someone i know but there are other sorts of attacks.
    i run with my dogs with all but my long runs
    i make eye contact with everyone and say hey. i announce myself if my dogs and i are running up on someone in case they are concerned i am planning to do them harm.
    i do not wear headphones or play music aloud. i do carry my phone and dog bags in a spibelt, often under my top layer/shirt
    my long runs are on popular paths during the daylight hours
    i do not frequently repeat my routes.

the city i live in is relatively safe but in my area in the past six months, there have been people attacked for money, phones, or stranger on stranger sexual assault. someone was targeting people with a bb gun. someone shot up a few cars-no particular reason. and that's just what made the news. the map of incidents is quite full.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately since I've started running alone in the very early hours of the morning when it's still dark out. My mom was always telling me never to run alone, and ended up getting me a large intimidating german shepherd to run with many years ago. He was a great running partner (strong working line, great endurance, super sweet.. I sure do miss him!) and no one ever messed with me. My current dog however can't run very far so I don't usually take him with me, he plops himself down after about a mile. A self defense class I once took the instructor advised all of us women to never run with headphones as it makes us an easy target, oblivious to the world. The instructor also suggested no pony tails or braids, as a bad guy could grab them and easily manipulate a woman into a vehicle, same with backpacks. Police advise pepper spray but accuracy and if it deployed correctly is a factor. This doesn't leave a lot of options for a female runner like myself, I don't have a running partner who is my speed, and for long distances in the Florida heat I am forced to carry a water pack and honestly running with my hair down is just a mess. I also like listening to music. I can't run in the afternoon most days because of the risk of heat stroke, so when it's dark out is my best shot. I feel like i'm in a very safe neighborhood, every morning a police officer passes me several times, and the crime rate in this area is low. When I brought my concerns up with my husband he said he isn't concerned about my safety at all, and he doesn't believe it really happens to women unless its an ex boyfriend or someone specifically targeting them. He also thinks men are just as likely to be abducted. When my husband runs with me he gets honked and hollered at just as much as me it seems. I tried looking up the stats in our area and in general and couldn't really find much on it. However the last half marathon I raced in they held a seminar about womens running safety. I enjoy running and don't want to live my life in fear. I usually do carry a weapon but its heavy and a burden while running. Curious what others thoughts are on the topic, and how do you keep safe while running? Have you ever been attacked? Is it silly to worry about such things? Women do you run alone?
    • A capable outdoor muscled canine as a running partner is ideal and I agree with your Mum. I'm presently stuck with a pitbull/boxer pup and he tires out easily, so no-can-do with him too at my end. He is easily intimidated once he catches the coyotes' scent I'm assuming, with how quickly spooked he gets when we take him out.
    • The convenience of the pig tails or pony tails or the bun variations, with the high-winds when running early morning or in the evening and at night, with my weighted pack sometimes, aren't negotiable. Can't imagine running out there with my hair down. That's just crazy.
    • By preference I'd love to run with music, but for out here and right now, having seen some footage via our Neighbourhood Watch (trespassers along the fence wall, one mountain lion and of course the usual coyotes), when trail-running and committed to our outdoor sprint drills, *we are doing without it.
    • I relate to when you can schedule your runs, for my daytime commitments can not be avoided. What I have open is either before work or after work (ie "before breakfast and before bedtime"). I love working out outdoors in the dark though. Hate being visible, for it's a safety/security risk in my opinion. Prefer seeing what's coming in the dark. Where I do workout though, the section, can be lit up like Christmas. We opt out of lighting our trails and the mish-mash of surfaces (including inclines) we use to variate our workout.
    • I don't blame you OP for choosing to run. We're out here in the desert and at a high altitude, working out in the early morning and after sundown. I've quickly learnt be it daytime or before/after sundown, hydration is a necessity that I can't neglect, for I'm out there for more than 2 hours.
    • Security wise, I feel spoilt and safe. It is completely surveillanced. We have security. Active neighbours who use our surrounding facilities expertise are in and of themselves reassuring, so ... despite the occasional issues, I feel safer here than I'd felt about our safety/security in other parts of California.
    • I've never been attacked but our experiences however, have been interesting, even curious.
    • Where I am, anyone who is a target no matter their gender or age is at risk of abduction, depending on the motivation, for it's a human trafficking corridor, agreeing with your husband's viewpoint.
    • I never run without my essentials which look like normative items, but are my weapon(s) - weighted.
    • I miss running alone, however commonsense is the only reason I appreciate having a steady running companion - my sister; An extra pair of eyes.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    • I normally run with only 1 ear bud in - although that's always been primarily so I could hear any cars or bicycles approaching (that may run me over).
    • I live in the city. In an area with many restaurants/bodegas/quickie marts/convenience stores - if running after dark, I plan my routes so they avoid more desolate areas as much as possible. YMMV depending on where you live.
    • I do wear lights. I've been nearly run over by cyclists running stop signs at speed enough times that I traded a reflective vest for one with LED lights. (The car drivers tend to be less of an issue with the exception of exiting traffic circles and our densest bar strip).
    • I carry an emergency whistle around my neck (required at orienteering meets, so already used to running with it anyway).
    • I always wear my hair fully up (running and elsewhere, nothing to do with security though-it just gets in my way) - it's under a hat when I run (either for sun protection or cold protection). (I can't stand ponytails -- too much hair=too much weight and it pulls. It's about tailbone length. Bobby pins hold braided hair pretty securely.)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I carry mace, but that's because I was bitten by a dog when running. I've done activities by myself most of my life. I thruhiked the AT and JMT solo and backpacked alone for years. I lived in San Francisco and wandered all over that city, as well as parts of Europe, without any problems. I have been running for seven years, and do 20 mile runs in the country and shorter runs in town without any problems. I worry more about inattentive drivers and loose dogs than I do about getting attacked by some random pervert.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Where I live, I'm primarily concerned about wild animals, bad drivers, and unrestrained dogs. I run on public park land that's lightly but consistently traveled by cyclists, hikers, and other runners, and I have to cross a road with only a stop sign (no light or crosswalk) to get there. In addition to the mostly unthreatening wildlife like turkeys, raccoons, and deer, we also have coyotes and bobcats, and occasionally a mountain lion.

My safety habits are mostly about sticking to the neighborhood sidewalks and not going out on the trails if I must run in the dark. I prefer to just wait until dawn so I can run the trails. I also wear one earbud so I can hear both my music and my surroundings.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Touch wood, i have never had any trouble when out running.

I try to stick to main roads where cars are more of a problem, or people who just won't move to let me pass!

I don't run with music, and I always let the husband know my route and estimated ETA and I take my phone with me.

A while ago I heard of a runner being attacked on my long route, but in the evening (I run that route weekend mornings). I didn't tell the husband as he would worry and want me to stop running.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Perhaps taking some self-defense classes would help. I just started Krav Maga and it's all about self-defense techniques. I like it a lot.