Learning to find a balance

Does anyone in MFP land have any good suggestions for trying to get stress out of your life? I work around 55-60 hours a week and go to school 20 hours a week, leaving little time for myself. I’d have to say work is my biggest stressor and it leaves me emotionally drained, but since I can’t up and quit, and cutting back on school is not an option (I actually really love it even though it’s exhausting) im wondering what other folks in similar positions have done to make their lives better. Stress definitely plays a part in my weight gain, and I’m just trying to not have this daily cycle happen. Any ideas are super helpful!

Replies

• skavanagh4
    skavanagh4 Posts: 4 Member
    I’m also very stressed from work and I have a little ones I want to be less stressed around! I notice that when I work out regularly...I feel less stressed! It usually gives me a boost in confidence, I feel better and it takes my mind off of the things that stress me out! Do you have a work out routine or time you can set aside for just YOU! Sounds like you are always busy, but if you can set any time each day aside for you, it might help with overall stress! Good Luck!
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    edited November 2018
    Leslie Sansone walk at home on YouTube. Best stress relief and weight loss for me. Check it out. Do it at home in your pj’s. Good Luck
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    As the above have said, physical activity. For me, it has to be for a minimum of 30 minutes (I try to do at least 60 minutes, 5 days a week) and physically taxing. Not so strenuous that I collapse afterwards, but taxing enough that my heart rate is elevated to "cardio" for at least 30 minutes. (I wear a HRM.)

Since my weekdays are not my own, I get up extra, extra early to have my "me" time. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Agree with exercise.

Do you work at a desk? I found some relaxing music on YouTube that I could play in the background at work. Actually, if you search YouTube for stress reduction it seems half the world is fighting stress. Along with the music I’ve tried various guided meditations and affirmations. Lately I’ve found some affirmations that seem to help.

But these kinds of strategies are not a magic pill. It took about a month with the sleep affirmation I’m using before I began to see any change.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    2018 has been the most stressful year I've ever had.

Right now, I can't de-stress. I feel like if I were to relax, everything would spiral out of control.

However, I am trying to do some things to take the pressure off once in a while.

One of those things is running. I hadn't been a runner for 30 years but I'm finding that it is helpful.

Another thing is taking about 15 minutes to read fiction before bed.

And I have rotating desktop wallpaper on my computer at work. I use 2 of my screens quite regularly so it's covered on those screens, but I can see it on my 3rd screen. So I've chosen photos and images that are relaxing and take me to places I want to be. Once in a while, I just pause and watch the screen for a few moments.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    It’s helps to schedule in “me time” You won’t just find the time to de-stress, you have to prioritize making time for it. Whatever it may be that helps you relax, if it’s exercise or a bubble bath with a glass of wine, write it into your schedule and don’t let yourself reschedule it for something else. Your mental health is every bit as important as your physical health so you have to make the time to take care of yourself.