The three to five pound flux.

Options
So far I’m finding it possible to stay right around 178 (my goal weight). However I’m finding it is also pretty easy for me to shoot up to 182. Right now I’m pretty happy at 176. I find that when I don’t eat desserts (at all) I do much better.pamplxdj5kfc.jpeg

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are perfectly normal, for a variety of reasons. Great read about it here: http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is a range - 3-5lbs sounds fine.
    You look great! :smile:

This
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I guess..you don't eat dessert
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Yes the thing to do is decide what range you will be happy with and then only change your maitenance calories if you go beyond this for more than a week or so.

For example my goal weight is 62 - I allow myself between 60.5 and 63.5. Have kept within that for several years.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    A prime example of how much water fluctuations can affect your weight - Yesterday after a heavy night of drinking (free bar, black tie thing for work) I weighed 225lbs - down pretty much to dehydration and this morning after eating pizza and chocolate yesterday but staying within my maintenance intake of calories, 232.8lbs.

It's the trend over time that matters, not the day to day weight.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I am a regular dessert eater. Not every single day but at least 50% of the time.

No more cravings when I eat dessert (or any other sugar containing items) than when I don't

Sure, we are all individuals and this might be a craving trigger for you, so your strategy is a good one for you - but I don't know of any research that supports it and real life shows me it doesn't apply to everyone.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    For me it's not desert, per se, it's any carb. I eat too many - one lousy piece of cake - and gain 3-4 pounds the next day. It's obviously water. But it looks lousy anyway.

You, on the hand, look like you've been working hard! Nice job.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Also remember, that there is some research that says eating things that convert to sugar in your body or are sugar when you eat them sets off a kind of addictive response. It usually takes 3 days of no sugar at all to get rid of those cravings then. Knowing this helped me a good deal as I moved through maintenance (now is my 4th year).
    Any and every gram of carbohydrate you eat ultimately is converted to sugar in your body - so I guess everybody but strict carnivores are screwed, by that line of reasoning. Sounds like some BS that was made up by some crackpot like Fung or Taubes.

Bingo!

You called it
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,101 Member
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    @WinoGelato Here is only one article about sugar addiction and detox. Dr. Lustig is well respected, and he is one among many. I do find that, for me, taking 3 days off of sugary anything does alleviate the cravings. You can do a search for "Sugar and Addiction" and find many things related. Also, 60 minutes did a segment on it a while ago. https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/health/sugar-detox-food-drayer/index.html Brussel sprouts are one of carbs, yes, but not the same as refined and processed carbs/sugar. I thought that this was what we were discussing more than the simple/complex ones that are healthy.

@jrwms714
    I have the same experience - as do all of my biological family - with sugar. I’ve tested it over & over, and if I limit refined sugar, fruit juices, etc. my cravings disappear. Vegetables, fruits seem fine but I eat them with proteins and fats - and I suspect fiber is playing a part in regulating my blood sugar.

For those of you who don’t experience, I am SO happy for you - and envious! But I’m glad I figured it out for me.