Womens safety while running alone

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    I run alone on country tracks in the dark with a head lamp on.

My only worry is tripping and bats getting too close to my head.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    I ran alone down country roads also.
    I ALWAYS let my husband know which route I was going and about how long I would be.
    He actually came looking for me a couple of times, both times I had been talking to neighbors who stopped while driving by.
    I carried bear spray and if I was on trails wore bear bells.
    I mostly worried about the 4 legged predators, not the 2 legged ones.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    An additional thing I do is to appear unapproachable and confident af. Body language can go a long way.

I mean, I have angry workout-face, so it's not all that difficult for me. As others have said, letting others know your route is advisable as well.

It's rare to be singled-out while running, but sometimes you just have to do these things to ease your mind.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited November 2018
    Trying to figure out how to ask this.

As a guy, if I'm on the same trail as you, and I'm coming up behind you, what (if anything) can I do to make you feel more comfortable. Some of the trails I run on are not well traveled, but I still will see someone. Normally it's a couple walking a dog, but it could be someone running alone.

I often run races where there are a zillion different distances on the same course at the same time (meaning lots of people running different paces - lots of passing).

There’s one race I ran where the runners coming up behind said “looking good”, “strong running” or something positive - which warned me someone was coming up behind me and also indicated they were friendly. And as a bonus, it was like a little personal cheer.

I realize you’re not talking about a race situation-but I would respond favorably to a “runner-themed” positive comment. I’d also respond to the ever popular “ON YOUR LEFT”. But the other is friendlier and tells me you’re a like-minded soul.

This also (for me) applies to anyone (male or female). I am startled by both genders equally.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member

As a guy, if I'm on the same trail as you, and I'm coming up behind you, what (if anything) can I do to make you feel more comfortable. Some of the trails I run on are not well traveled, but I still will see someone. Normally it's a couple walking a dog, but it could be someone running alone.

Yell, "Behind you!" from a good distance away. I can usually hear oncoming runners, but I appreciate when they give me a warning.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I automatically assume all people are friendly, I don’t think it’s right that you should be stereotyped and judged poorly because of a few horrible individuals in our population. If you didn’t jump me, I’m not going to think anything of it (besides that guy is fast!!!)

Yeah, you won't be thinking that about me, so I likely wouldn't be catching up to you anyway :)

I'll stick with behind you. Although I might be running with bear bells for a bit, at least until the snow starts and I'm off the trails. I've passed some bear poop on the trail.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I'm not sure "Looking good" is a good thing to say to a lone runner who may feel nervous.

A shout of "Evening passing on your left" (or right) I would prefer.

I agree, I’d feel creeped out and judged if someone told me “looking good.” If you want to say something a simple hello would work... I was running once and a guy came up behind me, he said morning and was super nice, ran with me for a bit and we talked about the weather! It’s great when it’s a positive experience and you get to know people in the community.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    when approaching, i would just say on your left...or right. i'm not going to assume someone running up on me is a bad person. especially if they are dressed the part.
    honestly, a lot of people are plugged in and just run up on me and my dogs.
    please please, if you see someone with dogs... please announce yourself. mostly, my dogs move over on their own but better safe than sorry.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    I'm not sure "Looking good" is a good thing to say to a lone runner who may feel nervous.

A shout of "Evening passing on your left" (or right) I would prefer.

Ok. I can see that. Looking good maybe was a bad example as this could maybe be construed as creepy out of context.

I'd guessed you hadn't meant it that way by the rest of your post.

Just so people don't actually say it :D
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    "On your left" works for me, sounds like an ordinary runner just doing his/her thing. That's how I pass people on shared trails, on the bike and running. Nice and neutral, sometimes I throw in "good morning!" or "nice day for a run!" .
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Yea, don't say "looking good" LOL :D (considering not coming off as a weirdo is your goal)

And here I was thinking an *kitten* slap would be good....

J/K

Actually, that's an issue off and on here (and I live in an area with lots of multi-use trails that are generally considered safe). Periodically an alert goes out that some guy(s) on a bike are riding up behind women runners and smacking them in the butt, or groping their breasts, then riding away laughing their *kitten* off. It's not even just solo women. It's just very occasionally, but sheesh!

The upside is that that usually triggers neighborhood guys to spend some spare time walking and riding the trails until the nuisance stops.