Womens safety while running alone

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Trying to figure out how to ask this.

As a guy, if I'm on the same trail as you, and I'm coming up behind you, what (if anything) can I do to make you feel more comfortable. Some of the trails I run on are not well traveled, but I still will see someone. Normally it's a couple walking a dog, but it could be someone running alone.

I like "On your left" or something like that. It makes it clear you're not trying to sneak up on me
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm no more fearful to run in my neighborhood at midnight than at noon. Following the suggestions of what a runner might say to announce their presence: I can only offer that I would be more suspicious of someone who tried to announce their innocence or friendliness than somone who simply made enough noise to announce their presence. So I'm voting for "On your left!" or even "Hello!" instead of something more like "I'm not a rapist!"

My husband worries more about my safety than I do - and I'm not sure if that means I'm an idiot or he's paranoid. Either way, he bought me a treadmill, and my schedule is more conducive to daylight running than night-time. I sometimes miss being out at midnight with just the neighborhood skunks and raccoons for company.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto to "on your left"/"on your right", which are common to shout when passing someone (whoever you/they are) when cycling/running/rollerblading/etc. Most anything else can be construed as weird/potentially creepy.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I feel safer running in the early hours than late at night. In my head bad guys don't get up early.

I don't really worry about it, I won't miss out because of fear. I will stick to well lit paths by houses and roads though, there are a lot of paths near me that are set back, away from houses that I don't use in the dark.

I'm trying to think of the best way to put this, for many years I've worked with disadvantaged young people. I am very adept at reading body language and tone, and my own presence can be very assertive. I have diffused many difficult situations with aggressive people, so I guess am quite confident with that. I understand it wouldn't work with a full on attack, but it makes me feel differently about it.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was always taught to be loud. If someone grabs you, scream/yell/screech, do whatever to make a lot of noise that indicates that you need help.

I live in a big city which means it's usually pretty busy, but the more residential areas can get quiet. Out of worry, my mom sent me mace and some other little tools like a loud whistle and a claw thing. I've never needed any of them since I don't run at night anymore and I only run on main roads where there is a lot of traffic. I only had 1 situation where I was running and I noticed a lot of sirens and lights up ahead. As I was running, a couple officers pulled over and said to turn around and go home.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

As a guy, if I'm on the same trail as you, and I'm coming up behind you, what (if anything) can I do to make you feel more comfortable. Some of the trails I run on are not well traveled, but I still will see someone. Normally it's a couple walking a dog, but it could be someone running alone.
    mph323 wrote: »
    "On your left" works for me, sounds like an ordinary runner just doing his/her thing. That's how I pass people on shared trails, on the bike and running. Nice and neutral, sometimes I throw in "good morning!" or "nice day for a run!" .

I also appreciate someone saying "on your left/right" if they are passing from behind, and "thank you" if I needed to move out of their way. I think that's common courtesy among runners. If you're coming from the other direction, or if the other runner seems concerned, a simple "hello" or "good morning" is nice. Occasionally runners say things to me like "have a nice run" or "you're doing great." I am typically in awe of their ability to form complete sentences while running up a big hill.

Also, there is a really, really big difference between "you're doing great" and "looking good."
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    1. I run alone because I prefer it that way.
    2. I have my hair in a pony tail
    3. I have not taken self defence classes
    4. I will run in the dark as needed and wanted

Granted in winter at night in the dark I do stay close to town but mainly because I can then better see where I put my feet (that is the main safety issue) and see traffic (Which to me is the biggest risk of all). Puls people around to help if I do get injured.
    I carry my phone with me and use the live tracker option in Garmin Connect that connects to my husband's accounts. (he does the same) The idea is a foot injury can be swift and and render you incapable of returning home

Do I live in a safe area? I think so. In town we have had our fair share of issues (including people being shot last year) but generally speaking I am not complaining.
    Has anything ever happened? Yes once in two years one man grabbed my bottom, I filed a complaint with police
    Does it stop me doing as I did before? No
    The biggest risk to any runner is injury and I work on that. The other issues; well it is not like they don't happen but reality the chances are not that great and in many cases I outrun most people these days.

I have no fear of stranger danger Stats show that the real risks are much much closer to home.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When I used to run, I did not consider running on my own safe, as I have heard stories in the neighbourhood of people being attacked or having close misses and I had also a couple of encounters with really creepy guys - one time I am sure I would have been attacked if another runner did not appear close behind me at a crucial moment, it was clear a guy was following me and I could not outrun him, no clue if he was a rapist or just after any valuables, but he literally turned around and left at high speed the moment he realised a second runner was approaching.
    I did continue running for years, and as a rule I had a partner (fortunately my then boyfriend also loved running and I made a point of asking literally everyone if they were into running to find partners) or I chose places and times that were safe, like the local park in the afternoon when plenty of people were out to exercise or to relax, or I would choose proper running tracks, there were a couple of stadiums within reasonable distance. Not as easy as just going out and running, but definitely much safer. For when all else failed, I would just run in a treadmill. Not the same as outdoors, but outdoors and constantly worrying is not fun either.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately since I've started running alone in the very early hours of the morning when it's still dark out. My mom was always telling me never to run alone, and ended up getting me a large intimidating german shepherd to run with many years ago. He was a great running partner (strong working line, great endurance, super sweet.. I sure do miss him!) and no one ever messed with me. My current dog however can't run very far so I don't usually take him with me, he plops himself down after about a mile. A self defense class I once took the instructor advised all of us women to never run with headphones as it makes us an easy target, oblivious to the world. The instructor also suggested no pony tails or braids, as a bad guy could grab them and easily manipulate a woman into a vehicle, same with backpacks. Police advise pepper spray but accuracy and if it deployed correctly is a factor. This doesn't leave a lot of options for a female runner like myself, I don't have a running partner who is my speed, and for long distances in the Florida heat I am forced to carry a water pack and honestly running with my hair down is just a mess. I also like listening to music. I can't run in the afternoon most days because of the risk of heat stroke, so when it's dark out is my best shot. I feel like i'm in a very safe neighborhood, every morning a police officer passes me several times, and the crime rate in this area is low. When I brought my concerns up with my husband he said he isn't concerned about my safety at all, and he doesn't believe it really happens to women unless its an ex boyfriend or someone specifically targeting them. He also thinks men are just as likely to be abducted. When my husband runs with me he gets honked and hollered at just as much as me it seems. I tried looking up the stats in our area and in general and couldn't really find much on it. However the last half marathon I raced in they held a seminar about womens running safety. I enjoy running and don't want to live my life in fear. I usually do carry a weapon but its heavy and a burden while running. Curious what others thoughts are on the topic, and how do you keep safe while running? Have you ever been attacked? Is it silly to worry about such things? Women do you run alone?

I don't think you are silly for worrying about such things. And I'm sure your husband means well but there is most definitely not the same risk for women and men out there. Of course the risk is low in the overall scheme of things, but it still makes sense to take some precautions to try to protect yourself.

I think from a cost and simplicity angle, pepper spray is your best bet. You can get it for under $20 most places, and it is legal to carry with you without any permits. Attach it to your key chain, and you don't have to worry about it until you need it. I understand the concern about being able to deploy it correctly in the heat of the moment should you need it, but that can be true with any method of self defense. Whether it's carrying a gun, martial arts training, etc, it's always going to be harder to do in a live situation with real danger.

I bought my wife a pepper spray that also came with a practice canister, that contains an inert spray that she can practice with so that she gets familiar with handling the fire mechanism, the distance of the spray, etc. If you are worried about being able to deploy it properly, you could get one like that to practice with it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I probably would not feel uncomfortable, but a friendly "on your left" if you were passing, and then maybe a "morning" or other friendly greeting while going past wouldn't be amiss. Calling attention to yourself. Not seeming to hang back right behind.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

By the way... your new living room furniture looks great through your window... :)

Just kidding.

It's always better to be more cautious than you think you need to be.

You could carry a small knife (or even an ice pick)
    pepper spray
    whistle
    run different routes (some predators watch for patterns)
    run at different times (if you can)
    well lit routs (also where other people run)
    run with your phone and let loved ones know where you are and how long you will be running for
    look into features that other people can track your location on their phone
    run with other people when you can
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

Maybe a smaller weapon like a tactical pen/knife or those odd keychains that are kind of like sharp brass knuckles. Or they make some spring loaded sticks/wands as well as small but very loud panic alarms.

Please though do check with your state's concealed weapon laws. If you're concealed carrying some of the stuff mentioned here, you could very easily end up with a citation at best (trip to jail at the worst).

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Great advice from everyone! I worry about this stuff even during the daylight (I don't run in the dark at all).
    - I put my hair up too
    - Change my route up often to avoid anything becoming predictable
    - Let people know where I am going, my route, and when I will be back
    - I never listen to music when I run (or workout - I enjoy the silence, or listening to whatever sounds are around)
    - I try to run with my phone on me
    - I took Krav Maga once, but just a trial. It was pretty great! I'd love to have been able to take it for longer.
    - If it's night, I'll run at the gym sometimes.
    - Run in populated areas (no empty parks, fields, distances without houses and people around)
    As long as you are taking as many steps as reasonably possible to be safe, there's generally not much else to do but relax and enjoy your run. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I did feel very safe when my husky was alive and walking with me.

Your husky looks like they were a dear. <3