Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Recently found out this is a thing beyond the obvious Planet Fitness.

I think this is a completely BS thing. I will admit it is a genius business model (Keep membership costs so low people will keep it even if they don't use it, discourage the culture of people who will put wear and tear on your equipment, and could possibly teach newcomers something). I will give credit to the idea from a financial standpoint.

From a fitness standpoint, it's completely pointless and is the embodiment of our lazy, overly PC, overfed American culture, at least IMO. It would be better for our country as a whole if there was less of this "you're fine the way you are, but if you want to work out you can but whatever is ok" and more of the attitude "you are obese, here is the means and knowledge to fix it - now put in some work."

That's just my .02. Debate

Do you think that intimidation is important for habit changing? Nothing wrong with encouraging people to put in some work (that's what all gyms generally are for, regardless of if they're considered "intimidation gyms" or not), but why is intimidation necessary? Don't you think that people are more likely to make changes when they don't feel like they'll be judged for their beginner fitness level? Everyone starts at the beginning, and fear of judgment holds an awful lot of people back from what we know they can accomplish.

The problem is, you can/will be judged anywhere you go. It's not like Planet Fitness is filled with a different species of human being that has had judgment magically removed from their minds. You'll be judged in the grocery store, the post office, at work, walking down the street, sitting in a restaurant - basically anywhere you go. There are judgmental and non-judgmental people in any gym/workout environment. The only way to avoid it is to either work out at home, or find a gym which has individual, isolated cubicles where you can work out without anybody else seeing you - or that only allows one person in at a time.

The vast majority of people in any given gym are far less judgmental than the people you're around in your life the remainder of the time. Even the most fit people there started out unfit at some point, and have traversed a long, hard road to get to where they are. They understand what a newbie goes through, because they were there once too. If they notice you to any extent beyond a fleeting glance while they're busy with their own workout, the thought is most likely that they're happy to see you taking that first step and trying to improve yourself. Basically the only way anybody is judged negatively in a gym is if you're doing something stupid and/or purposely drawing attention to yourself. And about 90% of the people in any given gym are just as insecure and worried about judgment as you are.

Gyms are not places filled with superhuman people. They're the same people you deal with every day as you go about your life.

Yep, I feel the people that join PF because of "gym-intimidation" (as opposed to has stuff they, need, location, price, etc.) are intimidated/have social anxiety issues in a lot of situation in addition to a gym.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    I never get unsolicited advice. I’m pretty good at putting on my game face and my headphones in. Once you are in your own zone people don’t even make eye contact. I use to work out at the gym on Fort Bragg where the special forces guys went and occasionally I’d get a flirty look or whatever but never advice. And as with most anywhere if you don’t encourage conversation the majority of humans are good at knowing their attention is not wanted.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I think this is a completely BS thing. I will admit it is a genius business model (Keep membership costs so low people will keep it even if they don't use it, discourage the culture of people who will put wear and tear on your equipment, and could possibly teach newcomers something). I will give credit to the idea from a financial standpoint.

From a fitness standpoint, it's completely pointless and is the embodiment of our lazy, overly PC, overfed American culture, at least IMO. It would be better for our country as a whole if there was less of this "you're fine the way you are, but if you want to work out you can but whatever is ok" and more of the attitude "you are obese, here is the means and knowledge to fix it - now put in some work."

Do you think that intimidation is important for habit changing? Nothing wrong with encouraging people to put in some work (that's what all gyms generally are for, regardless of if they're considered "intimidation gyms" or not), but why is intimidation necessary? Don't you think that people are more likely to make changes when they don't feel like they'll be judged for their beginner fitness level? Everyone starts at the beginning, and fear of judgment holds an awful lot of people back from what we know they can accomplish.

The problem is, you can/will be judged anywhere you go. It's not like Planet Fitness is filled with a different species of human being that has had judgment magically removed from their minds. You'll be judged in the grocery store, the post office, at work, walking down the street, sitting in a restaurant - basically anywhere you go. There are judgmental and non-judgmental people in any gym/workout environment. The only way to avoid it is to either work out at home, or find a gym which has individual, isolated cubicles where you can work out without anybody else seeing you - or that only allows one person in at a time.

The vast majority of people in any given gym are far less judgmental than the people you're around in your life the remainder of the time. Even the most fit people there started out unfit at some point, and have traversed a long, hard road to get to where they are. They understand what a newbie goes through, because they were there once too. If they notice you to any extent beyond a fleeting glance while they're busy with their own workout, the thought is most likely that they're happy to see you taking that first step and trying to improve yourself. Basically the only way anybody is judged negatively in a gym is if you're doing something stupid and/or purposely drawing attention to yourself. And about 90% of the people in any given gym are just as insecure and worried about judgment as you are.

Gyms are not places filled with superhuman people. They're the same people you deal with every day as you go about your life.

Yep, I feel the people that join PF because of "gym-intimidation" (as opposed to has stuff they, need, location, price, etc.) are intimidated/have social anxiety issues in a lot of situation in addition to a gym.

Then why is it so awful that there are gyms that make a point of trying to allay those anxieties so that those people might actually have a place where they will exercise? Because if you're right about their general social anxiety issues, the alternative for those people if places like PF didn't exist wouldn't be going to a gym that doesn't market itself that way. And it won't be going outside for a walk or a run. At best, it might be working out to a video at home. Maybe.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Then why is it so awful that there are gyms that make a point of trying to allay those anxieties so that those people might actually have a place where they will exercise? Because if you're right about their general social anxiety issues, the alternative for those people if places like PF didn't exist wouldn't be going to a gym that doesn't market itself that way. And it won't be going outside for a walk or a run. At best, it might be working out to a video at home. Maybe.

I believe people get pissed off with the advertising campaign that stereotypes the appearance/actions of people that belong to "intimidation gyms" (which PF marketing whats people to believe that is everywhere besides PF, which isn't true). To be honest, if you took the the late afternoon crowd from 10 random gyms and asked a number of people to judge which group were PF members they couldn't do it outside of a random guess.
  • sylvia270
    sylvia270 Posts: 33 Member
    I like pf because with my current work schedule going to the gym often is inconvenient. I have equipment and videos at home. I want to go to the gym sometimes because their equipment is more upgraded than mine. With low fees I can keep my membership and it is there when I decide to use it. I have taken advantage of the classes and fitness training on occassion. It works for me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

I believe people get pissed off with the advertising campaign that stereotypes the appearance/actions of people that belong to "intimidation gyms" (which PF marketing whats people to believe that is everywhere besides PF, which isn't true). To be honest, if you took the the late afternoon crowd from 10 random gyms and asked a number of people to judge which group were PF members they couldn't do it outside of a random guess.

Totally agree with this.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

My only problem with it is when people need to talk about how great PF is because it lacks all these horrible things that other gyms supposedly have. It's falsely representing how other gyms are, and creating fear among people that in other gyms they will be treated badly. If someone wants to ignore the obnoxious marketing and go to PF because it's convenient, open 24/7, or is cheap, I certainly don't care.

It's all the posts about how PF is better because it's clean, or lacks people who treat you rudely, or doesn't have obnoxious gym rats or has equipment available or whatnot when I find it slightly annoying. So do other gyms, plus in many cases other things PF does not have (and yes, that many people might not want).

My gym is more expensive than PF (PF isn't near my home or office so isn't an option, but there are cheaper gyms that are). I pay for that because it has some things that are worth it to me. I don't go on MFP and go on about how my gym is better than other gyms, or claim the people are nicer or that other gyms would be icky, and it kind of bugs me when PF fans do that -- I think it's as common as people being negative about PF, and I also think people are ONLY negative about PF because it has intentionally "us against them" advertising. Too bad that in this day "us against them" seems to be the way to make money, ick.

I agree with all of this! In addition, if one has social anxiety, how is PF any different than any other social situation in any other gym. They are preying on people's fears for profit. So, double ick!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    mg07030 wrote: »
    While I think the concept itself of "no intimidation" gyms is silly and unnecessarily instills fear of gyms, I have no problem with the existence of 'less hardcore' gyms. Not everybody is (or wants to be) a hardcore powerlifter or bodybuilder, and that's perfectly fine. In terms of general health, any exercise is better than no exercise.

I do have a problem with the blatant hypocrisy of Planet Fitness' marketing strategy. They label themselves as a "no judgment zone", yet they're highly judgmental of fit people and their commercials stereotype and mock them in various ways. If any other gym chain wanted to project a more 'hardcore' image and made TV commercials stereotyping, mocking and belittling fat people and scrawny non-lifters in a similar way, they'd be crucified for it.

Well said!

I kinda had to laugh because I’m pretty sure I go to an “intimidation gym” lol

I guess as long as people are getting fit and healthy right? 🤷🏼‍♀️

I belonged to a Gold’s Gym in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s that was the home gym for several bodybuilders, both pro and amateur, men and women, so I guess some people would consider that an “intimidation gym”. Thing is, they were the most chill people in the whole gym - so into their own workouts that they hardly even noticed anything going on around them. They always racked their weights, put away their dumbbells and wiped down the equipment because it’s what they were taught to do, and because the other bodybuilders would call them out if they didn’t. They’d say hi, but never offered unsolicited advice or harassed anybody. The only times I ever saw them do anything like that was when the high school gym bros would get rowdy and start acting stupid - a few quiet words from one of the bodybuilders and the stupidity would cease very quickly.

I’ve had worse experiences in the “non-intimidation” type gyms - brain dead people hogging stations while they text, take selfies for their instasnapface accounts, or sit there and gossip about their dates. If you’re there to workout, then workout - if you’re there to socialize and impress your social media followers, go do it somewhere where you’re not hindering everybody else from getting their workouts done. That kind of garbage is more likely to happen in those kind of gyms because everybody is afraid to say anything to them because of the “judgment free” thing.

I’d much rather be in a gym with a bunch of hardcore “lunks” going quietly (or even noisily) and efficiently about their workouts than with a bunch of sheeple randomly stumbling around from station to station, competing for social media ‘likes’ and leaving a trail of their “toys” strewn around the gym behind them.

Spot on:

s52q93aghnhh.png

Heaven forbid you have to ASK to work in during someone's set! And god forbid they use an app to track their training, lest they be judged by Ye Olde School Gym Bros. This is ridiculous. If someone is hogging the squat rack, use your words and ask them politely to move. It's not that hard.

Believe me, I have no problem asking someone hogging a piece of equipment to move their *kitten*.

Thing is, God forbid, people should have enough common sense to do it without being asked

You want people to anticipate your needs in a gym?

Honestly, the gym I belonged to that was the worst for bros on phones and people hogging squat racks, benches, and power cages was an LA Fitness.

The best gym I ever belonged to was a gym that was part of our local health complex/wellness center, but it was a small gym (to accommodate the swimming pool) and had a limited number of benches. If you hit it at a crowded time, there was a lot of waiting.

Planet Fitness was a mix of people, including dudebros who were helpful. It was my first gym because of location and cost. I'm not fond of their marketing, but that's not the only thing that influences my decisions to join gyms.

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

My only problem with it is when people need to talk about how great PF is because it lacks all these horrible things that other gyms supposedly have. It's falsely representing how other gyms are, and creating fear among people that in other gyms they will be treated badly. If someone wants to ignore the obnoxious marketing and go to PF because it's convenient, open 24/7, or is cheap, I certainly don't care.

It's all the posts about how PF is better because it's clean, or lacks people who treat you rudely, or doesn't have obnoxious gym rats or has equipment available or whatnot when I find it slightly annoying. So do other gyms, plus in many cases other things PF does not have (and yes, that many people might not want).

My gym is more expensive than PF (PF isn't near my home or office so isn't an option, but there are cheaper gyms that are). I pay for that because it has some things that are worth it to me. I don't go on MFP and go on about how my gym is better than other gyms, or claim the people are nicer or that other gyms would be icky, and it kind of bugs me when PF fans do that -- I think it's as common as people being negative about PF, and I also think people are ONLY negative about PF because it has intentionally "us against them" advertising. Too bad that in this day "us against them" seems to be the way to make money, ick.

I agree with all of this! In addition, if one has social anxiety, how is PF any different than any other social situation in any other gym. They are preying on people's fears for profit. So, double ick!

Or any other social situation period. Are we going to start seeing marketing for no intimidation grocery stores, restaurants, etc?

Yeah, the looks I get when people see my shopping trolley full of ice cream and cake....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Because they're not allaying the insecurity/anxiety issues, they're creating and fostering them by their ridiculous advertising campaigns. They're convincing people that there's an issue when there's not actually an issue. PF doesn't magically fill their gyms with non-judgmental people who are full of sweetness and light, any more than any other gym does. They're recruiting from the same pool of people as every other gym.

^^ exactly!