South Beach Diet

Options
My docter suggested that I try the first phase of the south beach diet. I have never really been into diets like south beach etc. I was reading up on it, and it doesn't make sense to me really. Then again I am no expert. Don't we need carbs? Also, you start to incorporate carbs back into your diet after 2 weeks so wouldn't you just put the weight back on that you lost?

Replies

• candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My docter suggested that I try the first phase of the south beach diet. I have never really been into diets like south beach etc. I was reading up on it, and it doesn't make sense to me really. Then again I am no expert. Don't we need carbs? Also, you start to incorporate carbs back into your diet after 2 weeks so wouldn't you just put the weight back on that you lost?
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach with my mom about five years ago when I still lived at home. I lost 10lbs the first week, 5 the second, and gained it all back as soon as the carbs came back into my life.
  • candycaneps
    Options
    That's what I mean. It doesn't make any sense to me. The idea is LONG TERM weight loss =D
  • Tailea
    Options
    That's what I mean. It doesn't make any sense to me. The idea is LONG TERM weight loss =D

I have heard of people losing and maintaining by skipping phase 1 and going straight to phase 2. Really, though, it won't be any better than just following the plan MFP gives you. Eatting healthy foods in moderation and making sure you get your water/exercise and the proper amount of calories (including exercise calories!) will do the trick. I think the first two weeks on SBD is really just to get people jazzed about losing weight by showing them quick results in the beginning.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get some more info from your doctor or read the South Beach Diet book. My wife and I did the South Beach Diet in 2004 and did real well losing the weight. The weight did come back, but that's because I didn't stick with my plan to keep the weight off. Yes, you do need carbs. The first line in the book is, "This is not a low carb diet." It was developed by a cardiologist to help his patient cut out the bad stuff.
    Anyway, Phase I might be good for you because it would help cut out the cravings.
    Just my 2 cents....
  • candycaneps
    Options
    If it is not low carb why does the diet require that you cut all carbs out?

She suggest I do it to see if I have some sort of sensitivity to carbs. She told me some people are find with moderate amounts of carbs but I might gain a lot of weight with a normal amount of carbs where others wouldnt.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I like the general idea of the SOuthbeach Diet...I also like the abs diet and a smidge of the Atkins diet and what I have come up with is the DaveWay plan...it is working for me...I think some of these diets want so much to be unique that they have to do something strange and it ends up defeating the purpose...clean eating is the best way.....if it comes ina box, it probably is not real food, if the list of ingredients is more than 2 or 3 , it probably isnt very much a "clean" food...it can be confusing and tough....read alot, learn alot and get comfortable...just try to stay "clean" with the food
    easy does it:smile:
    Dave
  • Tailea
    Options
    I like the general idea of the SOuthbeach Diet...I also like the abs diet and a smidge of the Atkins diet and what I have come up with is the DaveWay plan...it is working for me...I think some of these diets want so much to be unique that they have to do something strange and it ends up defeating the purpose...clean eating is the best way.....if it comes ina box, it probably is not real food, if the list of ingredients is more than 2 or 3 , it probably isnt very much a "clean" food...it can be confusing and tough....read alot, learn alot and get comfortable...just try to stay "clean" with the food
    easy does it:smile:
    Dave

I love the idea of eating "clean". I'm trying to do that a lot more now. :)
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The South Beach Diet works. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. That's what permanent weight loss is all about anyway. And it's not a no-carb diet. Most people eat far too many carbohydrates, and they derive them from unhealthy sources like white sugar and flour. No matter what "diet" you're following, these are never good for you. EVER. Carbohydrates are good for you, granted that they're from vegetables and limited, reasonable amounts of whole grains and fresh fruit. Let's be honest people, most plans work. People fail. It's all about finding the plan that's right for your tastes, your lifestyle, and your goals.
  • bige2401
    Options
    Agree completely with mgullette.
  • candycaneps
    Options
    Carrots are on the excluded list for carbs...

People do fail at diets but restricting all carbs, losing weight, then adding carbs back into your diet and gaining weight back from it, doesn't make any sense to me.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You don't restrict all carbs, as I previously mentioned. You derive them from sources that are more nutritious, keep your body fuller for longer periods of time, and that have less of a negative impact on your blood sugar levels. As you move closer to your goal weight, you can gradually add back some carbohydrates. Also, ideally you are exercising as well, and when you exercise, you can eat more. Carrots are not bad for you, but they are on the more sugary side for vegetables. Corn and peas also have a lot of sugar. Of course these won't make you fat, but when paired with other high-sugar foods, the negative impact on blood sugar mounts. And if you start gaining weight back? Adjust, through trial and error, and know your body and what works and what doesn't. Nobody who has been successful with lifestyle changes has gotten it exactly right on the first try.