Abs Question

Options
I know that doing crunches/sit-ups won’t get you abs. Cardio will. So, say you’ve done cardio and now there isn’t much fat covering your belly. Does your abs show as a 4-6 pack or does doing ab exercises help to show them more? I hope you understand, that was difficult to explain.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I know that doing crunches/sit-ups won’t get you abs. Cardio will. So, say you’ve done cardio and now there isn’t much fat covering your belly. Does your abs show as a 4-6 pack or does doing ab exercises help to show them more? I hope you understand, that was difficult to explain.

Having visible abs means you have 1) Developed ab muscles and 2) low enough body fat for them to show.

Cardio isn't required to lower body fat. If you're low bf and they're not showing then you may need to develop them more. But also, some people just don't have the genetics for a six pack or have to have such a low bf that maintaining it is difficult.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The shape of your abs has a lot to do with genetics. Yes being leaner and doing ab exercises will help you, but some people have more bulging muscles generally. It also has a lot to do with where you carry your fat. (Even if you are lean, you need some fat.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Cardio is not necessary for abs. What is necessary for abs is a suitably low body fat level (which is accomplished by a calorie deficit), strength training to develop your abdominal muscles, and having the genetics to have well-shaped/visible abs in the first place.

Your diet will be the most important part of the equation. As the saying goes, abs are made in the kitchen.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Having visible abs means you have 1) Developed ab muscles and 2) low enough body fat for them to show.

Cardio isn't required to lower body fat. If you're low bf and they're not showing then you may need to develop them more. But also, some people just don't have the genetics for a six pack or have to have such a low bf that maintaining it is difficult.

Actually it's more based on the amount of fat covering the abs. Was listening to a podcast where a couple guys with Masters in Exercise Science were discussing a number of topics. One mentioned the 300 pound cadaver he had examined in school, said that guy had a 6 pack under all the fat. History showed the deceased wasn't an exercise person.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

Actually it's more based on the amount of fat covering the abs. Was listening to a podcast where a couple guys with Masters in Exercise Science were discussing a number of topics. One mentioned the 300 pound cadaver he had examined in school, said that guy had a 6 pack under all the fat. History showed the deceased wasn't an exercise person.

I knew I worded that poorly. I didn't mean developed in the sense of having exercised to develop them but how they naturally are. Like the cadaver mentioned in your example.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No cardio has nothing to do with abs.

In the end, abs are dependent on low enough BF% but genetics and muscle base as well. For example I have been lower BF a few times (also underweight) and while I looked pretty lean and had definition, I never had a 6-pack or anything like that. I don't have the muscle base for them and probably never will (also it is not a goal of mine). I am also female so I know it is harder for them to show.

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm in the pole community so i regularly train with very strong women, a lot of who are carrying a lot of excess body fat. Maybe about 30% on a women and yet they have visible abs. That's nothing to do with cardio. And mostly it's a 6 pack that you can see. Mine are more the long lines of ridges of abs either side of my tummy and I'm about 25% bf as that's my genetics. Yes when I had lower bf i had a visible 6 pack, and with higher it's more of what a muggle would call "toned tummy" but you will see my 6 pack again as I get back to full strength (I'm a year post partum) and I won't need to do any cardio or lower my bf for that to happen, I just happen to do a fitness which is crazy good for abs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Cardio isn't neccessary though it might help as a tool.

Here is a pic of me at age 49 without any cardio worth mentioning in over two years.

2yjxgpm30ys0.png

I'm flexed and about 17-18% body fat at 6'3 238lbs.

I'm just a powerlifter and rarely do isolation ab exercises.

My lower abs will never show partly because of several large operations through my abdominal wall, I tend to carry a pouch there even as a kid, and I don't have a goal for aesthetics to say the least.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    No cardio has nothing to do with abs.

In the end, abs are dependent on low enough BF% but genetics and muscle base as well. For example I have been lower BF a few times (also underweight) and while I looked pretty lean and had definition, I never had a 6-pack or anything like that. I don't have the muscle base for them and probably never will (also it is not a goal of mine). I am also female so I know it is harder for them to show.

100% agree.

Currently, at 5 foot 9 and 130 lbs, (8 lbs less than profile pic) I have an outline and if I give it a good flex, I have abs. Nothing like a defined 6 pack that competitors have though. For me to get there, I'd need to lose more weight which should not be one of my goals right now.

Personally, a few lbs makes a big difference. But, I used to be much thinner and I had 0 definition because I had very little muscle mass. I went through a 60 lb bulk, adding both fat and muscle, and then trimmed back 20 lbs to where I am now.
  • jerrardsmods11
    jerrardsmods11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I have a little belly fat and I can see a 4 pack. I just need to combine cardio/resistance training to help burn off that fat.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I have a little belly fat and I can see a 4 pack. I just need to combine cardio/resistance training to help burn off that fat.

Naw, you need a calorie deficit. That'll burn off fat and your muscle will show through. Eat at a slight deficit and keep up the training. It could be just a 5 or so pound difference, which is not that difficult to achieve.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you’re not in a calorie deficit, all the cardio and strength training in the world won’t get rid of your belly fat.