MORE motivated in the cold months?

13»

Replies

• LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    I'm more focused in the winter months. All of the summer activities have died down other than holidays. All there is to do in Minnesota is to go to the gym and work.
  • epiclife88
    epiclife88 Posts: 8 Member
    Yes I find I can eat properly and get fitness in anytime it's not hot or warm.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    My gym is always outside...

becmklcrcvmy.jpg
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Y'all are almost, but not quite, making me miss snow. We currently have 35 degree mornings, 70 degree afternoons, and wildfire smoke.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Interesting.
    You guys are doing great then.
    There was just a new study reported that showed that the average person really does slow down appreciably as winter comes on.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    My non exercise activity is a LOT higher in the summer & I don't feel like I have time for "working out" at the gym. Come late fall and winter, I struggle with going outside in the cold unless it's absolutely necessary and my general activity level drops like a stone. If I go to the gym to sling around iron and run some intervals I feel so much better, and so I force myself out the door to do that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    OldAssDude wrote: »

becmklcrcvmy.jpg

REI used to advertise with a slogan like "nature's gym." They should hire you.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I tend to be more active when it is cooler I loath working out in heat Summer workouts tend to be really early morning and then hide from the intense sunlight heat and humidity.
    Draw back of winter is running in the dark after work as it is harder to see where to put your feet, so then I stay closer to town than in spring and autumn. Therefore the latter two are my favourite workout times of the year
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member

becmklcrcvmy.jpg

Yeah. I could get a discount on fitness devices and shoes... :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I'm typically more motivated in the colder months, cause I dislike the heat. It's so much more enjoyable to me to workout in cool weather. Autumn is my favorite season! April/May can be tricky and then in the summer when my schedule changes and there's hardly a routine, it can be a big struggle! Definitely hear ya!
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    I do my last race of the year on 4th of July. Then I don't really run much at all outside in July and August. I might run a few 3-4 mile runs on the treadmill during those 8 weeks. Come September, I start picking it up again. Now that it's November, I really, really enjoy my runs right now.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

becmklcrcvmy.jpg

Yeah. I could get a discount on fitness devices and shoes... :)

I have a hiker friend who got a part time job there for the employee discount. :smile:

She said she got to talk about hiking all day, but owed them money!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Funny, I am the exact opposite. I prefer to workout when its hot out. I am always out biking and running in the summer when it is 80-95. Now that it is freezing and gloomy out, I haven't done an outside workout in months. :( I just never want to go out in the cold.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    I love the gloom and clouds. I feel so much more energy if I’m not squinting and sweating. The sunlight shuts me right down. I walk outside right up until it’s too icy, ski when the snow is good, and row all the days between. Strength train in the basement where it’s cool. Winter is definitely my most productive season.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Yes...I find myself really motivated to run more and longer distances when the temps are between 20s-50s (Farenheit). I do not run AT ALL when it's hotter than 80 degrees outside.

Aside from that, I pretty much hike all year long. My husband doesn't care to do much outdoors when it's in the 90s and above but I like it fine.
  • I am the complete opposite. I absolutely hate the cold. Don’t get me wrong. I love snowfall but it gets old by mid January. I’ve lived through winters shoveling snowdrifts on my sidewalk taller than me. So much snow in one season it was getting difficult to find a place to put it. I was having to heave it over the already 4+ foot high piles on both sides of the sidewalk......good lord. Sorry about the flashback.

Give me hot and humid weather. I’m working out 4-5 times a week when it’s hot. I’m lucky to be motivated to do 3 from October to May.