Pregnant and over weight

Options
Hello! I am preyand obese. Does anyone has advice?
Anyone pregnant too?
I need to maintain my weight at 223

Replies

• tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    When I was pregnant I weighed 220kg.
    I tracked my calorie intake at around 1400. I did put on some weight, but it was less than 10 pounds which all came off within about 10 days of giving birth so was mostly fluids. After I finished breastfeeding, I knuckled down to getting my weight under control.
    My midwife was all on board with this and gave me some recent research at the time indicating that obese women could safely limit calorie intake during pregnancy, within reason, as they had enough energy stores required already to grow a healthy baby.
  • tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I weighed 220kg.
    I tracked my calorie intake at around 1400. I did put on some weight, but it was less than 10 pounds which all came off within about 10 days of giving birth so was mostly fluids. After I finished breastfeeding, I knuckled down to getting my weight under control.
    My midwife was all on board with this and gave me some recent research at the time indicating that obese women could safely limit calorie intake during pregnancy, within reason, as they had enough energy stores required already to grow a healthy baby.

Sorry I meant 220lb
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to maintenance and eat that amount of calories.

Discuss the rest of the details on how to proceed from here on out with your doctor.
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm also pregnant and my BMI is 27/28. I think the key is to be active, and to ensure you aren't 'eating for two'. The UK guidelines are 1800 calories in trimesters 1 and 2, going up to 2000 in trimester 3, focusing on whole foods and healthy options. Apparently you aren't meant to put on any weight at all in the first trimester - sadly my body hasn't received that memo!

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    scfarrant wrote: »
    I'm also pregnant and my BMI is 27/28. I think the key is to be active, and to ensure you aren't 'eating for two'. The UK guidelines are 1800 calories in trimesters 1 and 2, going up to 2000 in trimester 3, focusing on whole foods and healthy options. Apparently you aren't meant to put on any weight at all in the first trimester - sadly my body hasn't received that memo!

If OP is 223lbs 1800 calories is likely to be a deficit not maintenance. Guidelines are usually based on average height/weight not someone who is obese.

I am currently bouncing around between 227lbs & 230lbs and my TDEE at sedentary is around 2200 calories.

OP as others have said set yourself to Maintenance in MFP that will give you a reasonable approximation of your calorie intake required to maintain without taking into account any exercise, so if you do exercise you'll need to eat some of those calories back too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    scfarrant wrote: »

the average intake for a woman is 2000 cals, so you're advocating a calorie deficit for OP?
  • terrieth21
    terrieth21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies... I’m 5’3 and weigh 186 lbs. I am 24 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and haven’t gained any weight but want to keep my weight gain around 10 lbs. I was very active and still at the gym the first 20 weeks but I am a care giver at home for my grandma and don’t have time for the gym as she needs me more at home now. I’m wondering about safe exercises and calorie goals to stay under 200 lbs during this pregnancy. Ohh... also I have lupus and deal with daily pain but a lot of it is under control right now.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I would ask your doctor about what your calorie intake should be. I would think at your weight it would be fine to maintain. If that's the case you would just fill out your stats and set your goal to "maintain current weight". But, again, ask your dr.
  • bpatriquin24
    bpatriquin24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been quietly watching this thread, I'm also pregnant (with my first) with a BMI of 27/28 and will definitely be talking to my Dr about appropriate weight gain during my pregnancy. In the months leading up to finding out I was pregnant I've lost 20lbs and am back to my normal weight which feels lovely. I also work with pregnant women, and want to continue to be active and hopefully a healthy pregnancy!